Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

13,923
The Light Between Oceans
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 10, 2018
"The Light Between Oceans" is a book worth reading, one you don't want to finish and yet can't wait to know how it ends.
The story depicts the struggle between what is right and wrong though it is extremely difficult to determine what is right and what is wrong.
The characters are superb... their emotions are your emotions! You feel deeply touched by their love, by their needs, by their suffering, by their hopes, by their desires...
Highly recommended! Amazingly thought-provoking!
on April 30, 2015
I loved this story. I know so many women who've miscarried and that feeling of failure. Someone asked, "Before you judge, ask yourself what you'd do in that situation?" I could see myself behaving like Isabel. Clearly she struggled. However, Tom's story is the most tragic to me. Here's a man who live by doing the right thing and even willing to risk his own life for his own mistakes. It's tragic that Isabel couldn't do the same. He was a good man weakened by circumstance. Isabel was delusional and she is the tragic figure here. I say, have sympathy.
on July 4, 2017
This is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time. The characters are flawed and make bad decisions which leads to a lot of heartbreak and sadness. I think the author did a fantastic job tying everything together and creating a fantastic ending. I highly recommend this book, but keep your Kleenex at hand.
on January 3, 2018
Loved this book. There are a ton of reviews telling more about this book so I will keep mine short and sweet. I read this a while back and it is just an all-around good book..I didn't want to put it down. As a side note, I saw the movie recently...it was OK but (as usually is the case) the book is much, much better.
on October 7, 2016
This was a wonderful read. It took sometime to get the context out of which the story developed, but once that happened it was terrific. The setting for this book is set in the early 19th century which is the backdrop. The setting is in Australia in a very poor section. The main character works in a light house. When visiting a town near his work he meets his future wife Isabel. They move to the lighthouse. Over time she is so depressed because of her miscarriages. Looking out the window from the light house they notice a boat crashing into the beach. Inside was a dead man and a baby. The dilemma is, given here miscarriages, do they find the family or do they keep the baby seriously. The rest of the book is an effort to settle this conflict with great sadness about how things will be revolved. A good read, especially if people have difficulty of creating a family.
on September 14, 2017
Started out a little slow, but like a lot of books, it got very gripping. A test of love, life, and a persons conscience. It went from a love story to heartbreaking decisions.. I would recommend this book. Don't be fooled by the twists and turns. Its all about how deep is love, and how strong is righteousness? Highly recommend it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This was the BEST book I've read in a long time!! Or rather listened to. I won't give away spoilers, but it has all elements thrill, love, suspense, crime, death, birth, loss, found, hate, forgiveness, the list goes on forever... it is an intriguing book I would recommend to anyone of any genre preferences. It spans a lifetime and will impact yours.
on September 2, 2016
Overall very good. The descriptions and scene setting were phenomenal, and I think I've learned more about lighthouses than I ever cared to know, but oh well. While I loved the characters and development of Tom (husband, assumed father) and Hannah (actual mother), Isabel's (wife, assumed mother) character rubbed me the wrong way, particularly towards the end. I don't want to spoil anything but her actions between the last third of the book and about 10 pages from the end irked me - she was very spiteful. And yes, I was ugly crying by the end.
on November 20, 2017
I love this book. The writing is excellent and the story is such a beautiful tragedy. As someone who cannot have kids, I can easily put my self in both Isabella’s and Hannah’s shoes. This book is one of my favorites and I truly love how( although, sometimes slow moving) the story is told with such raw honesty. Real life isn’t always easy but everything you do matters... and this is a beautiful illustration of that. Highly recommend!
on August 10, 2012
This novel was very rich in a few different themes; grief; love; forgiveness; commitment; honor... It was quietly a great morality piece, without hitting you over the head with it. I ended up truly feeling the conflict pulling the characters back and forth between right and wrong, and the grey area in between, which turned out to be a bottomless pit of quicksand. The ability of one deception continuing to grow and engulf the characters lives, -and the ripple effect that deception sent out into the entire community- was a true and biting commentary on the weight of our decisions in life. I loved how the story wasn't told with judgment, but instead demonstrated how indeed, decisions don't always come clear-cut, but carry consequences whatever the course of action chosen. The novel also palatably described the anguish that these circumstances brought.

Excellent, -very thought provoking. I highly recommend. I wasn't very sure from the description that I wanted this book, so downloaded the sample; -I am so glad I ended up getting it. (I also really appreciate the sample option..... take advantage of it!!!)