Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 244 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 351 reviews
on April 5, 2017
This was a pretty good teen book. It was a quick read and an interesting story.
on June 16, 2015
Not a bad book, definitely got interesting at some parts and funny at others. Fairly quick read and kept my attention. Most definitely gets into details on the uglier sides of high school from eating disorders to judging others and the consequences of decisions. There were some rough parts including some flow of the story that I thought were a little weird or didn't make sense. I think the biggest problem I had was the ending. It ended alright but I expected more about what happens after they find out who made the list and what happened to the other girls who had some major problems and those who became more popular after the list was published. It kind of just cut off, but not in the good cliff-hanger way.
on March 15, 2016
This was a great book, a fast read, and kept me interested. I went through it in about two days and enjoyed the story line and the characters. It made me NOT miss high school at all! I was a little disappointed with the ending though...no spoilers...but it left it too unresolved for my taste.
on September 24, 2016
I love the subject of the book. High school sucks for most people, popular or not, but what if someone published a list calling out the beautiful and the ugly? I loved the concept. Unfortunately, I feel the author just misses her potential greatness here. It picks up in the last two "chapters," but the rest of the book is pretty bland. Instead of really seizing the opportunity to discuss the pressures of living up to people's expectations, she skirts around it.

You could read it, but don't expect too much depth here.
on July 16, 2016
OK book. I had pre-ordered another book and was waiting for it to be released, and this book helped fill the void. It's not a bad book. In fact, it is one of the better novels geared to a teen audience. But it is no classic. I do recommend it, but if you have a long list of books you want to read, you may want to put this on the bottom or even leave this one off (unless you want a quick and easy read to clean the pallet).

Again, not a bad book. I don't regret reading it. But I probably won't read it again, either.
on April 27, 2016
There were so many characters in it that I got confused remembering who was who. It's about a bunch of girl in high school and they are labeled either the prettiest or ugliest. It reminds me in real school how students label people
VINE VOICEon June 20, 2012
In high school there are the "hot" girls and the "not-so-hot" girls, but no one writes it down on paper. It is not something out in the open for everyone to see. In Siobhan Vivian's The List, those girls are labeled ugliest and hottest girl for each class, and the label will change them forever.

Every year the List comes out. There is an ugliest girl and a hottest girl in each grade. No one knows who makes the lists or how the official (stolen) school seal that marks the official list gets passed down from year to year, but they accept the list as a part of their high school lives. This year is no different from previous years for most people, but it is a life-changer for the 8 girls on the list. One has been on the list all 4 years of her high school career... as the ugliest girl in her grade. One only makes the list after her anorexia slims her down. One embraces her Ugly status by writing UGLY across her forehead and refusing to shower for the whole week leading up to the Homecoming game.

But one thing is for certain: the list affects every single girl it names. And while you might think it would help the lives of the Hottest girls, you would be miserably wrong. Being named Hottest only makes your friends jealous and guys think they have a right to hit on you or think you are a trophy to be won. Being on the list tests every relationship you have ever had, your values, and worst of all, what you think of yourself. The List has changed these girls... but you won't believe how.

This was a deceptively awesome book, I must say. I assumed it would be rife with cliches and stereotypes and full of pink plush morals and "typical", but it really wasn't. Instead, it surprised me. Time and time again, what happened to these girls REALLY surprised me. I thought I knew what was going to happen to the Ugly girls vs. the Hot girls, but I found myself flipping the pages time and time again with that "What the heck?!" shocked look on my face. It was a really refreshing read! But at the same time, it was a frighteningly accurate reveal into the world of high school culture. We, as adults, sit on the outside of the true happenings of our schools, and although we have lived through it, we have also outgrown it, making our opinions jaded. I mean, can you honestly remember what it felt like to live through high school? I can honestly say I have tried somewhat (un)successfully to block it from my mind, but every now and then I see something going on where I teach and all those memories come rushing back.

This would be an excellent book for any high school aged girl through adult trying to understand the lives and roles of teenagers these days. And to try and pretend judgment and criticism are not a part of adolescence is simply ridiculous. Sometimes we, as adults, just need to immerse ourselves in their world, even through a story like this one, to see the truth of what they live through every day. It might make you a little more sympathetic as you give them detention or scold them for not finishing their work. We see the world through our adult eyes, but we forget that as teenagers, we didn't even know who we were at that point. Vivian did a great job with this story explaining the lives of teenagers and I am sure all adolescents would find at least one character to relate to. Even if they don't want to admit it!
on July 25, 2012
The List By Siobhan Vivian was the first book i've read by her although I do have a few others on my TBR shelfs. I don't really know what I was expecting from this story as far as expectations go, but it fell a bit flat for me. I think I wanted more drama if that's possible, but felt that the drama that did ensue because of the list was very predictable.

I understand why everyone was saying that it was hard to follow along with all the different perspectives that flipped back and forth. It took me a good 1/3 of the book to be able to figure out who was who without flipping back to the actual list in the start of the book, without that I think I would have even been more fustrated and probably would have put the book down, if I didn't have that reference to check back on.

The characters were just ok, and most of them were borderline annoying and even the ones I thought I liked in the beginning of the book annoyed me by the end (Jennifer). I also felt like the story was a bit far-fetched in the respect that the list went on for as long as it did without having school authorities or parents intervene. I believe they said it's been at least six years with the list being a tradition, so I found it hard to believe that the new principal was the only one who tried (and I say that loosely) to figure out who was behind the infamous list.

This book was just ok for me, I wouldn't say definitely don't read it, but it wasn't anything i'll be jumping up and down about to tell everyone to run out and grab a copy either. I still want to give Siobhan Vivian another chance becase I have heard great things about her, but this one just fell a bit short for me.
on May 25, 2012
The List is a great Novel that I feel, in some way, will help a lot of teenage girls through their high school years. Some people might say that its the classic teenage fiction, but The List is not. It is so much more than that! Honestly,what I learned from the list is that people who have no right, that don't even know you, will try to define you for who they think you are. Especially, in high school when everyone is trying to figure these things out, but it is up to you to look past all the people that won't matter in your future, move on, and know what makes you, you. Know matter what anybody else has to say about it.
I also learned that, people come in and out of your life for many different reasons! Some are true friends, that will truly be there with you through thick and thin. Others are only there for the good times. There are also the people who really pull through for you when you need them to most. Then, there are the people who come into your life and help you realize things about yourself, that you maybe never could have figured out, without them.
The List is a meaningful novel that shows the point of views from just about any girl you can find in high school. The fake girl who finally gets what has been coming to her. The innocent home-schooled girl who finally gets to break out of her shell. The athletic girl who strives to be the best in what she loves most. The social butterfly that wants to move up in the social ladder. A girl who everyone thinks is pretty, but no one knows what she puts herself through to appear that way. The "life sucks" girl who's to cool to care. The girl who gets her high school fairy tale. Then, the one girl, who stirs up all the trouble because she's just trying to fill the whole, and be recognized after being overlooked for so many years.
I guarantee to all that read my review that you will not be disappointed by The List. This is what The List helped opened my eyes to. What will you learn from The List? It will be different for everyone I'm sure, but read and see what it means to you.
on April 18, 2017
The book was a very easy read- kinda like an airplane read. It's nothing to write home about though!