Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,905 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,719 reviews
on April 14, 2017
This book seems to be a product of the turmoil and disillusionment Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was experiencing in his personal life at the time. The overarching themes of loneliness, discontent and desire for escape contained in this book are a little dark to expose a little kid to, which is why I don't plan to read this book to my son. I especially don't want to have to explain to him how the prince agrees to be killed by a snake. The book is a classic, but not exactly suitable for kids.
on July 11, 2016
This was a simple, yet profound, allegorical classic… one that can be enjoyed from the ages of 9 to 99, as it can be interpreted on so many different levels. On a very basic level, it allows the reader to reflect on what is truly important in life, “what is essential, is invisible to the eye.” It can also be interpreted by an older audience as a war fable, having political symbolism. On a more personal level, the novel has a direct correlation to Saint-Exupéry’s own life experience, when he was stranded after a crash-landing in the Sahara desert and endured a near-death experience. In that sense, he even included symbolic references to his tumultuous relationship with his wife (“the rose”). So, as one can see, this is an incredibly multi-faceted novel, that has nuggets of wisdom for any age. It was a joy to read.
on November 5, 2013
I am writing this review, not about The Little Prince story, but the quality of the actual book. This would have been a beautiful, hardcover book had the printer taken the time to let the ink dry. The book has a blue, gold-embossed, leather-like cover, and the text pages are printed in black and white (I think the original version has color illustrations) on what feels like good quality paper. Nonetheless, many of the pages where there are black and white illustrations, the ink offset on to the page on top, leaving a faint shadow over the text. On some spreads, the text is so faint I wonder if the book was printed on a xerox machine. I wish I was able to show photos of the book, but it seems like Amazon has removed that function from the review section.

I love The Little Prince so I am giving it 5 stars for the lovely prose by St. Exupery and translation by Katherine Woods, but I am knocking off two stars for the terrible print quality.

Since there are so many editions of The Little Prince out there, I am including the ISBNs so people will know which copy I reviewing.

ISBN-10: 0891903313
ISBN-13: 978-0891903314
on October 16, 2014
Until an escapee from a very small planet explains to you the difference between a hat and a boa constrictor, you are seeing the world through jaundiced eyes. In place where a fox can explain being tamed, and a rose can fierce with her single thorn, you can learn the importance of all that you take for granted each day, even a tear.
To read this book is to experience a place unique with it's joy, it's loss, and it's message of love that continues from afar. You'll never look at a star quite the same again. And you'll listen as you do. This book is a must for you.
on July 3, 2017
I have read this book several times, and in different ways. The first time was at the University and I read it with the understanding of the adult that always look for something of consequence. The second time I read it because one night I was looking at the stars and the Little Prince's laugh and bells touched my heart with both, sorrow and happiness. After that, I read it again because it means the endless world of possibilities for us who can see more than the expectations of society and culture. I take walks at the desert in my adoptive Utah, and I am always expecting to see the Little Prince comin. I want to ask him about his special rose and his sheep... we even could sit and enjoy together a sunset.
More than a book... it is a guide into getting to know your inner self and become a better human being.
on January 26, 2016
Comes with a cute red ribbon as a bookmarker! Product is marvelous.
review image review image review image
on October 8, 2015
I had to buy this book for a class I'm taking, and thought it would be worth the extra money to but the illustrated version, but but I was wrong. The pictures are all black and white, which was not what I was expecting, and there are quite a few typos that a good editor would have easily caught. Overall, I'm not impressed.
on September 4, 2012
The pop-up art in this edition is fantastic. On some pages it is static while other pages are movable via tabs. Still others pop out in the more traditional way when the page is opened. The variety of the way the pop up art is "paper engineered" adds to the childlike wonder when viewing the world that is at the heart of this classic tale. It is almost as if the Little Prince himself designed them!
So why must I give this book less than 5 stars? The new Howard translation manages to take the poetic wonder of the original and reduce it to a "grown up" version devoid of much of the magic in Katherine Woods' translation. Not having the proficiency needed to read it in the original language I can not be certain if what I loved as a child and learn from again and again as I grow older is there in the words that Antoine de Saint-Exupery penned. I strongly suspect that it is, as the story has been loved by people from almost countless cultures reading in numerous languages. The Woods version, published as the official English translation for the first 55 years or so after Saint-Exupery completed the French original, certainly conveys a poetic sense of wonder that is lacking in the newer Howard account. When I ordered this edition several months ago the description stated the text was the full, unedited translation by Woods. It appears Amazon has since corrected this oversight. I'm sure I was not the only person disappointed when the book arrived to discover the text was Howard's instead of Woods' translation.
If you've read the Woods translation already I can recommend this edition on the strength of the pop up art. If you have not read The Little Prince I would recommend you find a used copy of the Woods translation or look for it online.
on February 26, 2013
Everyone should read this.
Children might like the story, but for them they don't need the lessons that are taught here as much as adults do.
The most important lessons of life and love are in here.
They are simple and yet in it's simplicity so profound.

I think Antoine de Saint Exupery had it right.
I believe we're at our best as children. It's as we get older that we forget all the wisdom.
In life we should strive to stay young instead of grow up.

I bought an old used copy, the Katherine Woods translated version, to give as a gift to my little brother when he turned 18 and wrote a note in it. I hope he keeps it for his lifetime and passes it on to his children. It is that type of book.
on December 26, 2015
Yesterday I listened to the story while enjoying the creative pop ups. The book is so creative and the story is very touching...a reminder to keep the child inside alive.