Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon October 18, 2013
When it comes to western scores try to imagine a tree. The trunk of this tree is Ennio Morricone, it is the thick backbone that supports everything. All the branches extending from the trunk and center are unique individuals grown from an established foundation. There's no point in trying to reinvent the western score. For the rest of humanity everyone will homage the works of Ennio Morricone. His scores were so defining that it has become impossible to redefine. Hans Zimmer is a huge adorer of Ennio Morricone so you can understand why this score would be built from Ennio's genre foundations. This is a very different score than what Zimmer did in Rango but at times somewhat similiar. The score is rooted in its characters, has a unique identity but also plays to the archetypes of the western score. The music paints the setting of grand vistas, scorched faces, dusty firefights and grand heroism that emerges from tragedy. The score is big but not loud with plenty of nuances and quirks. It is a perfect western score as far as I'm concerned.

The film is an expansive one that covers many character arcs and action set pieces. The score matches the tone of everything in Gore Verbinski's film perfectly. A lot of complaints were had about the tone shifting, but I found none of it. I think everything was balanced extremely well. The story is told through Tonto's point of view as he tells the story to a little boy at a carnival. Already there is a bit of mythology behind everything. We see the story unfold as Tonto crosses paths with John Reid. The two form a partnership to hunt and take down Butch Cavendish who is responsible for killing John's brother. So the story is very character based. That's why the score stands out so much to me, that all its themes and motifs are character based. Whether its the flutter of a quirky flute for Tonto, a softer warm sound for Rebecca Reid or the grandeur of the central theme for Reid it all meshes together to tell a story. The idea of the "journey" is ever present in this score and you definitely complete it by the time you reach the end. These aren't Zimmer's strongest or boldest themes, but there's something about them that makes them memorable and feel so perfectly right.

The score is subdued even for Hans' standards. Pirates, Dark Knight or Man Of Steel this is not. There are pockets of no score at times where the characters are left to breath. Then when it comes to the action scenes the score fills the spaces just right. The mix is perfect. The music never takes over and flows with the characters as they are choreographed through the action. Everything builds towards the grand finale, which is an impressive train sequence scored with Rossini's William Tell Overture. At first I found the tone of the overture to be a jarring shift from what we heard before it. It didn't fit in as smoothly as when Verbinksi decided to use "The Ride Of The Valkyries" for Rango's big action sequence. However once it starts rolling and incorporating all of Hans' themes it becomes a wonderful end to a fantastic ride. I literally got goosebumps when all of a sudden the main theme rose from deep down in the overture. Geoff Zanelli handled the arrangement here and did a fantastic job.

The Lone Ranger is a magnificent western score that pays homage to mainly Morricone's Once Upon A Time In The West. The film pays homage to Leone's masterpiece as well. Such as the ambush at the well where you know trouble is coming because all of the insects quiet down. Or the men in dusters waiting at the train station with an elderly telegraph operator. While the music homages the past it still establishes itself as a magnificent branch from the western tree. Hans Zimmer's score seems to grow stronger when thrown up with the picture. It has action but the tragedy of the characters' pasts is prominent in the tone. Looking at western scores I feel this is a perfect modern take on the genre. Hans Zimmer was originally going to do the film, then Jack White took over but soon left the project leaving the opening for Hans to fill again. One could argue that the score doesn't feel like a complete thought when listening to it on its own, but trust me. When it's with the picture a whole new dimension is opened and it delivers chills and tears of joy at times. At least to this overly satisfied listener.
on September 14, 2013
Hans Zimmer is a truly amazing composer, and one that has made a name for himself as one of the best in movies (not THE best, one of the best). Just this year, he has three absolutely superb soundtracks, one of which is released next week. The other two are Man of Steel, and The Lone Ranger. With The Lone Ranger, Zimmer goes back to his time with Gore Verbinski on Rango and the Pirates films, but instead for the reboot of a beloved Western. With this very awesome and imaginative version, Zimmer gives us 10 tracks that showcases the Western epic, from the atmospheric and haunting track "Never Take Off the Mask," to the classical William Tell Overture in the track, "Finale" which also bolsters some new musical themes and notes that add to the greatness. My personal favorite, though, is the track "You're Just A Man In A Mask." It starts off with a more bizarre sounding theme from the first track, and quickly moves into an eerie and emotional soundscape, that sounds tragic at first, then hopeful at the end.

Hans Zimmer is just incredible. I'm just really annoyed at how many people are trying to compare this to Hans' Man of Steel; they're both COMPLETELY different. Sure, Man of Steel bolsters more action than The Lone Ranger, but still has plenty of emotion and heartfelt moments (Ex. The track, If You Love These People, a defining moment of MoS). Either way, The Lone Ranger is an award-worthy effort of Hans', and a must-own for all score/soundtrack collectors, or those who like instrumental/classical.

5/5 Stars*****
on July 28, 2013
Before I saw THE LONE RANGER in the theater, someone told me that he/she had heard that the theme for the Lone Ranger (WILLIAM TELL'S OVERTURE) was not part of the movie. I couldn't believe that could possibly be true; there can't be a Lone Ranger without the theme song! Thankfully, that person had been grossly misinformed. The movie was wonderful as was the music to the movie. I love listening to my soundtrack and I certainly can't wait for the movie to be out on DVD so I can enjoy both the movie and the music together--again!!!!
on August 29, 2013
Incredible music score and story!!!! I thought this movie was one of the best I have seen......sorry, critics, you guys are totally WRONG, as usual......glad I saw it, and will buy it for my extensive video library!!!!!
on May 11, 2015
I absolutely love all the music on this MP3 player purchase. I can almost see what it happening by the music that is playing. I really loved the movie. Have seen it more than once. I may have purchased the DVD also. I will if I haven't. The action is pretty good and parts are hilarious and yet it is really a sad movie! I think Hans Zimmer captured the essence of the scenes with the music he used. I don't know if any of these songs were already out there or if he wrote them. Whichever way it was, I love it! Music is so dear to me and helps me a lot through stressful situations or times. Thank you so much for having this music on your site!
on February 24, 2014
I have heard only bad things about the Lone Ranger. And then I listened to the score while I was writing and I was instantly hooked. Of course it does remind me of Ennio Morricone and the Spaghetti Westerns but only in the best way. I see it as a homage without being a copy but rather a very unique and very original score by the Master Hans Zimmer. I did watch the movie because of the Soundtrack and I really do not understand why everyone gave it so bad ratings. It is fun from the first to the last minute – sometimes a bit over the to but still a good movie. Way better than Man of Steel or the other Summer "Stinkers" that I had to watch.
on November 4, 2013
You can't go wrong with music by Hans Zimmer - haunting themes for Tonto's back story, comic relief music, echoes of Pirates of the Carribean - then he hits you with the long version of the "Lone Ranger" theme song (originally the William Tell Overture?) and You Are There! In the movie, this was played over the riding-on-top-of-the-train scene (How long IS that train, anyway? How many bullets can he have in that 6-gun?) and I loved it. FYI, I had to buy this album from Amazon because the local B&N only had the "young-singers-inspired-by" schlock CD (ok, I admit I didn't listen to the whole schlock, just enough to know it was not the soundrack I was looking for).
on August 21, 2014
Hans Zimmer is an accomplished composer of music for the big screen. For me, his soundtrack is one of the highlights of "The Lone Ranger" movie. Zimmer creates simple musical motifs that support the continuity of the movie narrative. During the surreal action train chase he combines these motifs with a section of Rossini's "William Tell Overture" (The Lone Ranger theme). The result is a dazzling set of variations that are both musically sound and most interesting. I found this soundtrack of the movie a worthy addition to my movie soundtrack collection (Five Stars).
on September 10, 2013
Well, The Lone Ranger by Hans Zimmer and issued by Intrada Records, is a most welcome addition to my collection. The sonic landscapes painted by Mr. Zimmer takes me back to days long gone...and what a ride it is. Whew! Almost blew me away. My son really fancy "Finale", where the famous "Willam Tell Overture" is quoted in a stunning arrangement by Geoff Zanelli.
The item was delivered quick and promptly, and this is definitely not the last time I order from Intrada Records (fulfilled by Amazon.com).
on October 30, 2013
I have to say that the Lone Ranger was exceptional in many ways as a piece of artistic entertainment. The acting was top notch! The sets that were built for the movie were stunning! And the scenery of Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly was nature displaying it own wonders for all to see! The icing on the cake was the movie soundtrack by Hans Zimmer! The closing scene with the William Tell Overture was tripping the light fantastic!!! Loved the whole experience!!!