Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 129 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 317 reviews
on November 15, 2007
Jim Kunstler, who is a determined gadfly and I think an honest lover of the American land, is trying to wake the lot of us out of our stupor and make us realize what he sees clearly. He has made a shtick (and it is a successful one as indicated by the fact he has just had to conceal his email address to, as he says, get something besides correspondence done) out of the coming oil depletion, drop off, "peaking," or whatever else you want to call it. At best, or thereabouts, we have another decade to motor around like crazy in the landscape burning ever dearer gasoline, but the END IS IN SIGHT. The real gloomers say that in a very few years we are headed into an energy slide that will deliver us to a stone-age world faster that you can say Jack Robinson, and say they, a stone-age world will do well to support a sixth of our present world population. Kunstler is no such Ultimate Gloomer, but he does say we need to get busy devising alternatives to what he calls our Happy Motoring Utopia, and has a litmus test for our collective intelligence: can we see that we need to rebuild our railroads and get off our large rear ends and do it? Answer so far, no. Has busy, bad Bush ever mentioned it? No. Do we really need to do it? But yes. The issues are presented in Kunstler's "The Long Emergency" wittilly, trenchantly, even amusingly, but they are there and they are dire, Jack, and no kidding. I'd a little fault the author for taking man-made (as opposed to longterm geological) global warming perhaps a little too seriously, and I see no real appreciation by him of the exponential slide into financial disaster that was initiated (to use just a recent date) by the fastening onto the backs of the English speaking peoples of the money system originated by the Bank of England 300 years ago, but apart from these two cavils I'd heartily recommend reading this book in preference to endlessly perusing the pages of the "clueless" (Kunstler's word) New York Times until one's eyes glaze over. Kunstler's website, refreshed weekly on Mondays is [...]
on February 15, 2008
The Long Emergency is written with the pretense that humans will not develop alternative forms of energy for a long time. According to Kunstler, "new fuels and technologies may never replace fossil fuels at the scale, rate, and manner at which the world currently consumes them." Later Kunstler writes, "The wish to keep running the same giant systems at gigantic scale using renewables is the heart of our illusions about solar, wind and water power."

We don't have to agree with Kunstler. Certainly, if we do agree this becomes a dark, grim scenario which he describes for us in thoughtful detail over 324 pages. Kunstler is a practical thinker that makes his speculation interesting. A sensible and realistic approach is applied to knock down one alternative energy source after another. The limitations brought onto civilization from reduced energy are then accounted for on subject after subject, such as climate, transportation, urban design, health care and agriculture.

In my humble opinion, I feel that Kunstler underestimates human innovation. He could turn out to be correct in his direction regardless. The next President, whomever that unfortunate President might be, will have to impose corrections that will make him/her very unpopular. Conservation and government programs to solve energy shortages will enable the mainstream media to anger the populace. The media is filled with bias and yellow journalistic exaggeration for political gain. We can build whatever we need technologically, but politics will do its tricks to stop us.
on August 14, 2015
This book will make you think about how wasteful we are with the resources of our planet and how we should NOW start working toward other alternatives for energy. Coal and oil will not last forever.
on July 16, 2009
I won't go into the main points of this book as others have so ably done. I'll just say that if you approach this book with an open mind, it will change the way you see the world and imagine its future. I have just really begun to explore the peak oil argument. This book was an excellent summary of this and other stresses that will batter our society in the coming decades. It also provided some valuable commentary on how things may look not so far in the future.

Some have argued that technology and/or alt fuels with save us from the peak oil bogeyman. Jim does address this reasonably well by stating the fact that technology uses energy, but it does not create energy out of nothing. There are fundamental laws of physics at work that limit what we can do to replace our squandered endowment of fossil fuels. And while I agree that mankind is sometimes at its most creative when united by an impending crisis, I am skeptical that we have the time and will to pull our a## out of the fire before we face major disruptions in our way of life.

The caution here is that the people who have educated themselves and prepared for what's to come may weather the storm. Many of those who have not will not fair so well.
on April 3, 2017
Read. Thought provoking. Sound logic.
on January 8, 2016
I read this book originally in 2010, and it opened my eyes to what was going on in the world. Since it was written in 2005, you'll need other resources to fill you in on what's been happening in the last 10 years, but this is an excellent starter course. Fair warning - this is a depressing book.
on November 20, 2012
I love your big picture and the interconnectedness of seemingly disparate situations, actions, and events. The paving of roads increases rain runoff, global warming causes rainfull instead of snowfall in California reducing the amount of fresh water stored in the snowpack, to name a couple. Up til now, my head just wasn't shaped right to pick up on such things. I watched the TV series, Connections, with James Burke back in the late '70s and you've captured, in print, that same phenomenon of interconnectedness. At the end of each telecast I used to think, "Wow, I never thought of that." You've got me thinking it all over again. Thanks for one hell of a ride.

James Ide, The Nintoku Incident
on December 19, 2016
Excellent information, and he was certainly prophetic because things he predicted have since happened. However, there is an unpleasant air of superiority and misanthropy that made me wish someone else had written it. Instead of being unable to put it down I was setting small incremental goals so I could make it through.
on July 7, 2014
Very good book. Kunstler covers every possible angle of this subject. I disagree about his assessment of geographical areas. He's obviously an expert of the Northeast, but about other regions, he seems to only know the stereotypes seen on TV. The South and Western mountains are far more resilient than he gives credit. Being so wrong about one thing makes me wonder about other assessments.
on July 4, 2012
i liked the book. It had alot of history written in it, like from the 1980-2010, so if there was any energy related news you missed, it was all in this book. It was very informational, easy reading style, i breezed right though it. However, i thought the writer was a little bit pessimistic. the authors thinks the United state will regress to the technology of the 1930's, with no electric and no automobiles. I don't see it that way, i feel that with all our scientists we will be able to have electricity in our homes/business and factories.... What i don't see is any autos/tractors. We might just have to go back to horses for everyday transportation. And use horses on the farm to pull plows. And trains will still be around, perhaps more of them, but with tiny nuclear fuel plants to heat up their steam engines.
this book is worth buying.