Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 13, 2008
I love this book. Well, not the exact book I received, but the original "Lorax" story. The text of the book I received from Amazon is slightly blurred: some sort of printing error, I guess. And of course, it's nigh on impossible to find an edition of the book with the truly telling line about Lake Erie anymore ("...looking for water that isn't so smeary./I hear things are just as bad up in Lake Erie."). Ah well - it's much better to have this shell-of-a-copy of the tale than none at all!
on June 4, 2016
This translation is faithful to the content and rhyme scheme of the original, but its very faithfulness makes it incredibly awkward to read aloud. I bought this for my bilingual two-year-old, who loves the English version, based on the positive reviews for this translation, and I only made it a third of the way through the book before my tongue was exhausted. Comparing the two versions, I found each line of the Spanish to have an average of 50% more syllables name of the original. This not only makes it cumbersome and awkward; it also destroys the easy rhyme scheme of the English version, since you have to make it through so many syllables to get to the rhyme - your ear has already forgotten it. I admire the intent, but I'm sending it back because I just don't think I can make it through all the way!

Incidentally, it took two years for me to cave and buy Spanish translations after a long, fruitless, ultimately enlightening search for the Spanish- language equivalent of Dr. Seuss. It doesn't exist - there are a few well known poems and nursery rhymes, but the language simply lacks the kind of rich children's literature tradition we have in English. I report this as a fully bilingual academic scholar of Spanish Literature who has lived for years in Spain. For now, we will simply make do with the few Spanish-language children's translations that are comfortable to read, a volume or two of nursery rhymes, and non-book sources of Spanish language stimulation.
on January 7, 2001
The Lorax is undoubtedly the most important book ever written by Theodore Geisel (Dr. Suess) and in my opinion, one of the most profound pieces EVER written, period. I feel so strongly about this book that I have a tattoo of the Lorax on my arm with just one word beneath it - UNLESS. Please, obtain this book either via a library, a friend, or purchase it. It is a sad tale that reflects not only the negative implications of clear cutting forests, but it also reflects modern society's irresponsible use of resources and the trend towards making things bigger and bigger and bigger (e.g. Sports Utility Vehicles, highways, homes, televisions, etc.). This comes at a tremendous expense to the Earth and all it's inhabitants. We are not only killing off species, but we are changing the very nature of the biospere via pollution and degradation of natural resources. UNLESS we change things now, the future of humans and other organisms on Earth is very bleak. All people need to either read or have this book read to them - children, adults, EVERYONE! Teachers and professors, I implore you - read this book to your students, or assign it to them, whether they are five or eighteen or one hundred - even if it happens to be banned where you teach (Pacific Northwest?). UNLESS people like us care a whole awful lot, nothing is ever going to change - it's not!
on August 9, 2000
Seuss, a former editorial caroonist, turns in a most compelling message with this parable about corporate greed and environmental destruction. Many adults remember this book from their childhoods, and I strongly suggest that they reread it every now and again. Seuss begins with a very engaging premise to draw the reader in - an old mysterious person locked in a tower in a ruined wastelend that will tell you a story if you ask carefully. The story he tells is of himself in the past, when he came to a thriving environment and set up shop exploiting the resources of the area. This draws the Jeremiads of the Lorax, who points out the ill consequences at every turn. The narrator ignores them, not out of ill will towards the environment but out of ignorance and the belief that he can do whatever he likes anyhow. In the end, the place is utterly destroyed and all its creatures leave, including the Loraz who departs with an infinite sadness on his face. The story sounds like a dark one, but somehow Seuss's whimsical rhymes and drawings make it more palatable, though it speaks harsh truths. The ending is superb and offers hope - a small boy is given the last seed of the disappeared trees, and asked to do what he can to renew the land. May we all do the same to the best of our abilities!
on March 18, 1999
Others have commented on the power and appeal of this allegory. I'd like to point out a few details.
The Lorax is obviously a metaphor for the Northern Spotted Owl (NSO) of the North American Pacific Northwest coastal fir and redwood forest. Its body shape, stance, and function as an indicator species are true. The NSO depends mostly on a couple of prey species: a wood vole and a red flying sqirrel. In the story, they're the Brown Barbaloots and the Lorax is "in charge" of their lives in the Truffula forest. In real life, they'd overpopulate and starve without the NSO's regulatory predation. The vole's favorite food is the North American truffle, which only grows well in the root systems of climax (mature, ancient) forests. (Get it? Truffle trees.) The Humming Fish of the story could represent any of several fish species which spawn in the shady streams of these old forests, and can't reproduce when the shade trees are removed. Probably brown trout or Sockeye salmon.
This is all classic population biology now (See "A Conservation Plan for the NSO" by the USFWS, USDA-FS, and USPS, 1991), but when _The Lorax_ was written it was still unpublished, active research. *How did Theodore Geisel know?*
BTW, the Once-ler is Charles Hurwitz.
The little kid trusted with the very last seed is you and I.
on March 5, 2016
This is a great book. The actual size of the book is a little larger than other Dr. Seuss book I have but I like the larger size. This is a great story with a positive message. The illustrations are colorful and fun, and help to keep my kids engaged. The book is a little long so I have a hard time keeping my youngest child's attention during the whole story, but our toddler loves it! I would definitely recommend this book to all families with children at home. This book would also make a great gift for a child.
on May 2, 2016
I am a teacher and I got this book for Earth Day. The quality was outstanding! The pictures were brighter than the copy I grew up with, and I got to keep that copy for myself! The children loved being able to hold the story versus just watching a movie and could even explain why it is important to care for our environment! That is pretty good for a group of 4-5 year olds. This is just a classic book that should be in every child's library.
on March 15, 2016
What a wonderful book. Purchased for a baby shower as cherished/favorite books were requested for the baby in lieu of cards. My note inside was "Sweet Baby you are lucky to be born to a Mama who WILL teach you to speak for the trees and we need more people like that in the world". My boyfriend who is almost 50 had never heard this book so before I gave it as a gift I made him sit down and read it to him......ha ha
on February 28, 2016
I was disappointed to have a non-removable label on the front cover. It detracts from the classic cover and I wouldn't have purchased it had I known. While I appreciate the idea of recycled paper, particularly for this book, I wanted a nicer copy with sturdier/glossier pages to hold up in my kindergarten class. It feels cheap...like a Scholastic Book Club version.
on February 29, 2016
Dr. Seuss at his best! I wish all young people could read this book about the folly of using up the resources around us without a care in the world. In fact, I can think of quite a few older people that could benefit from the wisdom of this little book!
A classic Dr. Seuss, well written, presented in great color and quality. Share it with others!!