Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,247 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,230 reviews
on November 24, 2011
This is NOT the review of the movies. I am solely reviewing the facts that what EXTRA you get in this set than the previous editions. I will start with very basic facts for those who are baffled by so many editions being out there.
The basic facts-
LOTR series has basically two types of movies- a) Theatrical and b) Extended, each edition are available in both-DVD and Blu ray format.
Extended versions of the movies have humongous amount of extra film footage added to the theatrical editions (approx. 30, 40 and 50 additional minutes for movie 1, 2 and 3 respectively). So, go for the extended editions only if you are a die hard fan of the movies. If you are not, the review ends here. Buy whichever movie you like in your preferred format and enjoy. Thanks.

FOR LOTR FANS-
Let's get straight to-the-point. Now, many of you may as well own the DVD versions of LOTR (Either Theatrical or Extended ot both), and if you are trying to make a decision whether to spend more money on this blu ray extended, here is the comparison-

Extended DVD set-
For each movie they have 4 discs (2 movie discs and 2 extra features); So total 12 discs. Sound is DTS ES 6.1, which is significantly better than regular dolby digital. This set is probably the most gorgeous I have ever seen for any DVD. Colorful and feature packed, it stands out in your entire collection.

Extended Blu ray set-
For each movie they have 5 discs (2 movie blu ray discs, 2 extra feature DVDs and 1 behind the scene DVD). So, total 15 discs. Audio is spine chilling DTS HD 6.1 and it has the all the betterments of blu ray (HD pic, HD sound, BD live). Also, blu ray set includes the Digital copy of the Extended Versions of all three movies (Standard definition, not HD). The set itself is a delight, with a sturdy golden cardboard package that is durable and beautiful. The remastering of these movies have been handled excellently and with respect to both picture and sound, this one is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN THE DVD.

The GOOD (Blu ray set over DVD set):
1. Video and Audio significantly improved. Excellent blu ray transfer. I have not noticed any 'darker' colors as mentioned by some other viewers.
2. Blu ray set has THREE EXTRA DVDs (Behind the Scene for each movie) apart from the 2 extra feature DVDs.
3. Blu ray set has Digital copies of Extended versions of all three movies.
4. They did not waste a DVD for digital copy. You download them straight from the server.
5. Digital copies are great downloads and super easy. Together, it's almost 10 GB download, which was overwhelming for me.

The NOT-SO-GOOD:
1. Extra feature DVDs (2 for each movie) are the SAME as those of DVD editions. In fact, the DVDs are identical when I do head-to-head comparison. These DVDs are pulled straight from the older DVD editions, nothing new added there.
2. The overall appearence of the set is not as beautiful as the DVD sets. This one is excellently packed though, lacks the colours of the DVD set.
3. Extra feature discs are DVDs and not Blu rays.

FINAL VERDICT-
If you own the extended DVD set, then buy this only if you want to have a great improvement in pictutre and sound quality. The only extra features you get is 'behind the scenes' DVDs. All other extra feature DVDs (total 6 of them) will be a duplication of what you already own in Extended DVD set. Actually, I noticed that all the extra feature DVDs here are from the various older DVD editions. The two DVDs are from the Extended DVD set, and the one 'behind the scene' is probably pulled from the limited editions of LOTR (the double sided DVDs that New Line Cinema released sometimes back).
However, if you do not own the DVD versions, then this is a must buy as this includes almost everything that you can think of (HD movies, extra features, behind the scenes, plus digital copies).

UPDATE 1: Also check the images I uploaded which may help make the comparison.
UPDATE 2: Thanks for all those who marked this review as helpful. As you are interested in LOTR, I guess at some point you'll consider purchasing "Hobbit" as well. I have recently written reviews for those, hope you find them useful too. Comments are welcome!
Thanks again!
UPDATE 3: DIGITAL COPIES: When I purchased the set back in 2011, the set came with complimentary digital copies. Nevertheless, the later editions do not seem to have digital copies with them (hence the lower price I guess). Please verify the product information closely before making a purchase. Thanks!
5150+ comments| 5,835 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2014
There is a great deal of confusion about the Lord of the Rings Trilogy sets caused by the reviews, so allow me to clarify. For whatever reason, these reviews are for two entirely different products. The single-star reviews consist of disgruntled fanboys complaining that the Theatrical Version of the trilogy (ASIN: B0086B89JO) was not the Extended Edition, as the Extended Edition was not yet released. The five-star reviews are by people who purchased the Extended Edition box set (ASIN: B007ZQAKHU) and were extremely satisfied. So if the description of the product you are viewing either says "Theatrical Trilogy" or "Extended Edition", then it is as the description states. Hopefully, Amazon will rectify the situation in due time. In the meantime, mark this review as helpful so that others will see it and be enlightened.
44 comments| 409 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2017
Top Line: The most beautiful collection of the iconic LotR films, at an amazing price

Good: These are the full, EXTENDED cuts of the instant classic Lord of the Rings films. The viewing experience is incredible--if you are the type of fan that watches this trilogy in its entirety once or twice a year (or more), you'll want to experience it to it's fullest, and this package offers that. More on packaging below, but this set does have the advantage of being significantly more compact than the extended cut DVD box sets (this whole package is smaller than just one of those sets).

Bad: If you dug the old DVD box set style, you'll be disappointed with this set. It compares more to a standard Blu Ray case, though noticeably thicker, and lacking any type of special adornment. Another small negative is the special features: I'm fine with nothing new being added to the original DVD featurettes, but unfortunately they are DVDs and not Blu Rays. Don't expect the same level of quality when you venture away from the films.

Other: So I bought this on a flash deal for less than $30, making the value amazing. Even at it's normal retail price, it's less than I paid for the DVD box sets, but if you are replacing older media like me, a rock bottom price definitely makes it more of a no-brainer. If I'd have paid full MSRP, this drops to a 4-star review.
Movies: 5 stars/Transfers: 4-5 stars

Fans unhappy that the extended edition of "The Lord of the Rings" can finally rejoice; the extended edition has finally arrived on Blu-ray with a brand spanking new transfers that look exceptional for the most part. Be aware, however, that this edition looks slightly different than the previous DVD's. There is a heavier greenish tinge in The Shire and teal hue during Aragorn and the Hobbits' hike at the beginning.

Fans who wanted BOTH theatrical and extended editions on a single seamlessly branching Blu-ray disc (or discs) will be disappointed as you'll have to keep your theatrical Blu-rays if you purchased them to have both.

Over all the three films benefit from the newer transfer with a sharper, better defined transfer although the quality improves with each successive film. There isn't some of the excessive use of digital noise reduction that was more of an issue with the theatrical edition of the film on Blu-ray. The films are spread over six Blu-ray discs and the special features are presented on DVD's (essentially repurposed from the original sets).

Reportedly, this was at the direction of the filmmaker Peter Jackson but it is a bit of an odd choice given that it's a bit inconsistent throughout the film. Skin tones are on the pink side vs. the reddish hue of the theatrical cuts that were released on Blu-ray.

Audio sounds marvelous with one of the best audio lossless transfers I've heard recently; it's remarkably detailed and has tremendous presence that will give your subwoofer a work out.

The packaging is nicely done with a hard cardboard case the door of which folds out revealing a map of Middle Earth. Each film is housed in its own Blu-ray case.

The films are broken up over two discs--due to the size of the files and to provide maximum image quality. Could each film have been put on a single disc? Yep but it would have subtracted from the image quality and considerable compression would have to have been done. For me it's not big deal and provides a nice "intermission".

The special features are as before for the most part with the commentary tracks, etc. ported over from the previous edition. The only thing "new" here is the inclusion of Costa Botes documentaries from the Original Theatrical/Extended Limited Edition.

This is an exceptional set. Could it have been better? Sure but I'm personally happy that the extended editions have finally arrived on Blu-ray even if it isn't the ultimate set that everyone wanted--that'll be AFTER "The Hobbit" arrives on Blu-ray no doubt.

Highly recommended.
77 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 29, 2017
I spent a lot of time trying to decide if I should get this set or the extended cut (which I already have on DVD). What I decided was that though I enjoy these movies, I can't say that it is the greatest set of movies of all time. So, would I really want to watch the extra extended cut. I decided, it would not be often. The theatrical cut was all I would probably want to watch during a sitting and frankly you have to watch all three. Those very few times I had the desire for the extra scenes, I could drop back to DVD and watch it.

If you own the extended cut already, this is a good fit at a great price for 3 movies. If you have never owned this trilogy, you might be happier long term with the extended cut. For me, this was perfect.
on April 22, 2015
Great Condition from seller. Great content.

The films are broken up into two discs each (six total for the movies). I actually liked this because the extended versions are pretty long to watch in one sitting anyway. There are an additional six discs with special features.
on July 20, 2017
I purchased the May 2011 version of these films. I bought this version because it was $44.60 compared to $63.47. The 2011 version I purchased did not have the map packaging, and it does have some of the French writing on the back of the disc sleeve. (Alliance, a now defunct Canadian distribution company, distributed this particular collection) However none of these things bothered me. The quality of the blu Ray discs are excellent. The picture is clear and the colors, texture and contrast is perfect. I did not personally ally notice any 'green tinting' during The Fellowship of the Ring, that has been a concern for many people. The audio was also particullarly good. No complaints, I'm glad I saved the extra money!
on November 17, 2015
I absolutely love the Lord of Rings Trilogy and was so excited to watch the extended addition...and it did not disappoint!!!
on July 29, 2014
After seeing the trilogy I decided to read the books. And although there were of course some small differences, I have a completely renewed appreciation for Peter Jackson's interpretation. I can't imagine anyone doing a better job. I have been hooked on these since The Fellowship of the Ring. After seeing how they looked on my tv in hi-def I decided to replace my DVD set and upgrade to blu-ray. And although it would have been kind of cool to get both the theatrical and extended in one place, I don't think I'd ever watch anything but the extended editions anyway, so to me personally it's a moot point.

As a note, I'm not the type to just upgrade everything in my collection to blu-ray (mainly because I have too many), but I just had to for Lord of the Rings. For the same reason I had to for Star Wars. They're movies that when I watch them it's when the family goes out of town and I can crank the surround sound. They're like special events for me, and I really wanted the best quality version I could get. And so far, this is it.

So would I recommend upgrading if you already own the DVDs? My response would be how important would a little better quality be to you when you watch them?

If you don't already own them, but would like to, then is this the set you should get? Well would ever put this on and CHOOSE to watch the theatrical version? If no, then would you care about spending a little more for the high definition copies?

They're pretty easy questions, and for me it was a no-brainier. Now I just need to wait until I get the house to myself again one of these weekends so I can veg out to one of the greatest trilogies produced!
on September 28, 2015
Movies and picture are great, but about halfway through the second film the disc is unreadable. It only loses about 5-10 minutes content though, so no the end of the world