BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Dirty Heads PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 22, 2014
Having only an old 1994 worn paperback edition of the Lord of the Rings, I wanted to purchase a version that I could read and display for many years to come. I did a ton of research and decided upon this version (ISBN 116-1749849-2513827), illustrated by Alan Lee and published by Harper Collins in June 2014 (I am adding these details because the Amazon.com site does not make it clear what this version is). Please note that this particular printing is NOT available in the US but any Tolkien or LotR devotee should not be deterred (Frodo wouldn't have been!). I must say that this is the finest published one-volume version of the LotR that I have ever laid eyes upon, and is well worth every penny. It includes approximately 50 high-quality color illustrations by Alan Lee, which even for a 30-something like me makes the reading experience exceptional. The front and back covers are made of durable, high-quality cloth (as shown), with a strong and handsome turquoise binding. The pages -- not just the illustrations but the entire book -- are glossy and made of "whiter" paper than you generally find, the margins large, and the typeset easy on the eyes.

For those who care about such things, the printing is based on the 2004 corrected text, with even further corrections. There are updated introductions/forwards by Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull, authors of the authoritative "LOTR Readers Companion," as well as by Douglas A. Anderson, who provides a detailed publication history of the Lord of the Rings. The full appendices are included.

Two-page red and black maps of Middle Earth and of Gondor/Rohan/Mordor adorn the front and back covers, with a map of the Shire before the first chapter. Also present are other essentials such as the Doors of Moria and the Tomb of Balin. The only drawback is that the facsimile pages of the Book of Mazarbul was not included, which I found to be surprising and a bit disappointing Also, the ring inscription and the Gandalf "rune" are printed in black rather than silver and red. Probably the main issue is the clear plastic slipcover, which is barely bigger than the book itself, and it is difficult to slip the book back inside it after taking it out. You are more likely to scuff the corners of the book. That being said, these are far from dealbreakers, and the joy to be received from owning this edition far outweighs these issues.
44 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2015
Very nice books, binding seems nice. I love the covers although they are not "paperback" and are more of a fake leather material. These books are beautiful and very convenient. They are pocket-sized which is great for on the go, they aren't too small or too big (actually bigger than I anticipated which is a plus). The font size is readable, the only thing I would have to note is that the font size isn't the same throughout the different books. The font size seems to be based on the length of the books, the longer the books are, the smaller the font is (I suppose this was in order to keep them pocket-sized as well as consistent with the sizes of the other books throughout the set). If you have decent to good eyes, this set would be perfectly fine for you on the go but those people who don't have as good of eye sight, because I know some people who tend to get headaches while focusing on small font, this set may not be for you. I will upload some pics of the font comparisons, books, etc.
1212 comments| 370 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2016
Why is only one of these included in my $10 a month kindle unlimited? For $120 every year, I would expect kindle unlimited to me a little less limited.
11 comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2014
The Lord of the Rings has been a favorite of mine since the early 70's (OK, I'm dating myself). I have had four different sets of this (and The Hobbit), two paperback sets (now gone), a hardbound edition, and the all-in-one paperback that came out about the time "The Fellowship of the Ring" hit theaters in 2001. I was surprised when I looked at my first set and saw they cost $0.95 each when I bought them!

I have read the series probably 25 times since I acquired my first set, and I'm reading it again now on my tablet with Kindle software. I read it four times with the compilation I purchased in 2001, and would have read it more except the bulk and weight were excessive. I'm so glad to get the Kindle version, and reading it on the Asus ten inch tablet is far more enjoyable. There were several reviews panning the Kindle version for verasity, but I don't read the the text as a proof-reader, I read it for enjoyment. There has been few writers I love so well as Tolkien!
on June 9, 2017
What a great book in which to get lost. Tolkien's prose seems to hold me into the story. I have read this part many times - so many in fact that I have 2 tattered paperback copies, just can't seem to toss them. Eyes aren't what they used to be so bought The Fellowship of the Ring first. Reading it was easy on the eyes so bought this and Return of the King. The fold-out map in the back of the books is marvelous. This quality book and the other two volumes may be the last set of the trilogy I buy during rest of my life.
on May 11, 2017
I adore "The Hobbit", and I needed an extraordinary looking one. I discovered this one, and it was great! Similarly as I had needed. It has representations by the creator, J.R.R. Tolkien, and it is totally delightful and ravishing! I got it seven days early, and I was extremely satisfied. I was exceptionally happy that it accompanied a hard case that the book slides into. That way, the book will remain more pleasant any longer. The bundling was great, and the book and case were psychologist wrapped. It was completely superb, and I was so satisfied and happy with everything. It was far and away superior to I anticipated! Good quality and delivery! I exceptionally prescribe this to any aficionado of J.R.R. Tolkien, or "The Hobbit". It was great.
on May 4, 2017
I got this book sooner than expected. It looks great and I'll probably get the leather editions sooner or later. I noticed a thing though. It seems that there were some illustrations in the enhanced edition that were not in this new 75th anniversary edition. "The hill" where bilbo lives from the beginning of the book was not pictured in this edition like the enhanced one which seems strange why they would not add it. I hope I'm not missing anything important. What do I know? I'm just new to the hobbit universe.
on January 17, 2013
I bought this book for 4 of my ESL students. They were given as their Christmas gifts from me. To my surprise, they read the book over the holidays and then went to see the movie (in English). It was good to know that giving them something in their native language led them to immerse themselves into English without lesson plans or homework!
on July 28, 2013
I loved the music from the Lord of the Rings series on par with loving the movies themselves. This product was what I've been looking for, for a long time. It's every scrap they have to give it seems, and all the tracks you don't get with the normal sound track are enjoyable. It also seems some what broken up in to more tracks as well. Maybe it's to much for some folks, but I myself enjoy all the subtleties of the work, and being able to put on the three "complete recordings" soundtracks and have it fill an entire day.

Caution to the reader on acquiring this though: The Two Towers one went out of print first and is VERY hard to find. I had to order it about half a dozen times from different sources before I got it because there are A LOT of sellers out there claiming to have it but then having some thing fall through on providing it. (Most common for me were Japanese companies whom failed miserably due to poor postal service from Japan Post, and distributors who claimed to have it but then could not acquire when it came to the time of shipping.)
on November 13, 2016
Hi, we read these books over and over. This set is beautiful and new. We have just started the series again.