Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on May 4, 2017
A beautiful story of these men of Sudan. So moving! I Highly recommend this book! Five more words two one.
on January 26, 2007
I will refrain from giving a summary of the book, as a couple of other reviewers did a nice job of that previously. I will offer a few brief impressions of this work.

Having obtained a degree in African studies in the 1990s, I was well aware of the issues facing Sudan and the history of the civil wars in the country. Many times material I read about Africa is erroneous to some degree in its reporting of events. Bixler gets things right in "The Lost Boys of Sudan." Additionally, he does a nice job of weaving historical context into the story he tells of the young men from Sudan. I was expecting a couple of introductory chapters that would serve as a mini history lesson, but Bixler chose not to go that route. Instead, he took the time to skillfully give historical context as it was merited in the story of the "Lost Boys."

The actual story of the four young men is compelling enough on the surface, but Bixler doesn't try to glorify the subjects of the book, rather he tells it like he observes it. He writes in a manner that makes for an easy read, and allows the reader to get a good picture of the lives of these men.

There are now quite a few films and books about the Lost Boys, and I strongly recommend viewing one of the DVDs on this topic either before or after you read this book. While Bixler paints a really colorful picture with his words, nothing can take the place of actually viewing the camp from which they came and the people themselves.

Of all the books I have read on this subject, Bixler's is the one I recommend the most for a person interested in the "Lost Boys." It does a great job of giving the reader a lucid account of the story of the Lost Boys in America and the circumstances from which they came.
on June 2, 2014
bixler has written a great, informative book; while i was aware of all the terrible things that were going on in sudan & the horn of africa in general, i was unaware of the efforts made in the US to relocate many of these refugees; it is an incredible story, not only of the horrors they went through, that is better know atleast to me, but the efforts to relocate & all that entailed not only for the refugees but the many volunteers in the US who worked so hard to help them; obviously some of the refugees worked out better than others but a great story none the less
on March 2, 2014
I have followed the periodicals about the lost boys of Sudan for a few years. It is an engaging story. This more up to date accounting of their time here in the United States is definitely eye opening. Once again, we must look at fund raising and administration carefully when trying to meet human needs. These are very courageous young men. This is not written to be dramatic, but the daily lives of these boys/men is captivating.
on May 15, 2014
Having a friend among the Lost Boys of Sudan clearly helps to understand the journey these young men have made. I recommend this book to everyone who desires a deeper understanding of the life experiences of these young men who ran for their lives from a war torn country in search of a better life. The power of the desire for knowledge and change is clearly illustrated in Mark Bixter's book.
on November 11, 2010
Without giving away anything about this book. I originally became aware of The lost Boys of Sudan from watching an episode of 7th Heaven and was intrigued. These men wen through unimaginable trials to be upheavaled into a life and a world so strange and foreign to them its mind blowing. They truly were dumped onto a strange soil and left to their own devices. Fortunately they were able to use their faith and past experience to not become a statistic and be Lost in America. I highly recommend it for most ages I would say 13 and up, I think teens would be able to identify and hopefully appreciate what they went through just to be free.
on May 12, 2016
I was really surprised that the book is very interesting and hard to put down. Amazing how much I didn't know about the true conditions in Sudan. Such appreciation to all the people who help all the refugees.
on August 18, 2015
Good book to gain an understanding of the problems faced by refugees and assimilation into American society. I found the text to be quite a challenging read.
on October 1, 2014
If I didn't get but one feeling from this book , it was worth the reading. We take the educational opportunities in our country so lightly. These boys had the main priority we should have. GETTING AN EDUCATION
on May 15, 2013
I LOVED this book. I found it so inspiring. At first the book was difficult to read due to the sadness of the author's childhood. But as the pages went on, the book became inspiring. Lopez has an easy to read, and often funny way of writing. This is one of the best books I have ever read.