Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 27, 2015
I had looked at this book for quite some time, I wasn't sure I would be that into it. I looked at the online reviews but there was just something that was holding me back. Finally I just decided to get it, I had nothing to read and was desperate for something, boy was I surprised!!!!!
Wow!!! Amazing!!! Loved it!!!!!! I was dying for it to end but at the same time didn't want it to..... I was not a fan of the main character Piper at the beginning of the book but I came to like her. I loved trying to solve the mystery along with her. This book made me sad, laugh and a little teary-eyed. It takes place in present day and some parts take place in the late 1930's.
I bought this book at 10am and I had it finished by 11:30 pm the same night. If you are a fan of Karen white do not hesitate to read this book. Well worth it.
on October 19, 2014
I have just found this book in my kindle library, it has been there for 5 years and had it not been for an update flag against it while I was doing some housekeeping I would never have found it. Thank goodness I did. This was a wonderful book, so many emotions, so many lives affected by secrets held onto for too long. I loved the direction the Author took us and am so grateful to have read it, it has me reflecting on my life and my family's background. This is a book that will stay with me for a good long while.
on August 24, 2010
Piper Mills was brought up with riding by her grandparents who raised her after the death of her parents. She was an Olympic hopeful in riding until she had a terrible accident that damaged her back and leg. After her grandfather's death and her grandmother decline due to Alzheimer's, she remembers a box that they buried in the garden. It contained a charm necklace and pages from a scrapbook from her grandmother's youth. She discovers a hidden room in the attic containing a crib and a knitted baby blanket and sweater. The scrapbook was kept by her grandmother and her two friends and they each added charms to the necklace to signify important events. Piper resolves to find out the mystery behind their split and after being rebuffed by the sole survivor, she goes undercover to find the truth. While this was an interesting storyline, I thought the execution was okay and there were some points that were farfetched and the romance and some of the plot points were predictable. The historical points were good and I would have loved to have read about the third friends pages. Overall, it was a decent read.
on June 10, 2017
I loved this book. Read in one day. The burying of the box kept me interested in finding out the secret. I figured out a portion but, the ending held it all. Karen writes so detailed that I could see it all. I'm not going into detail but if you read this you won't be disappointed.
on July 13, 2010
This book just didn't work, and it's a shame because there was some real potential here. Shame on the editors, I would say. I think the author had a good story to tell but went with an overly ambitious back-and-forth-in-time narrative. The whole premise of a story unfolding through a shared scrapbook about a charm bracelet - named Lola! yes, the bracelet had a name - was so preposterous that I found myself smirking at certain points. The story of Annabel was the interesting one, and a straightforward novel about her and her friends and what happened to them would have made a vastly better book. The way the story is told, you never really get the sense of the strong friendship these girls shared, so the big reveal, when it does come, doesn't have the power it might have. One of the friends goes off to become a famous singing star, and that story line is pretty much dropped entirely. THAT would have been worth reading about, but instead, we spend too much time with the boring, self-pitying granddaughter and are supposed to care about her problem with horses. We are hit over head over and over again with metaphors about inner wounds and outer wounds and various kinds of pain and blindness; and the non-stop hinting about the "secret" makes it almost inevitable that when all is revealed it will be a let down.
on March 4, 2013
I started reading this book, left it to read another, came back to this one, rushed to read the last Maeve Binchy book, then finally came back and hurried through this to find the conclusion. My problem with this book was that it created some suspense about the character's grandmother--now gone--then made you read through a lot of ho-hum content to find out what happened with the grandmother. It got to the point where I wasn't sure I cared. The characters were never really developed in a way that made me care. I've read other books by this writer and enjoyed them, so I'm giving this three stars just in case it was me and not her.
on September 4, 2017
great book
on April 28, 2014
The plot kept me interested to find out what the mystery was that Lillian, Anabelle, and Josie kept and which broke up their friendship so many years before. Piper, the granddaughter, works with Lillian and her family to find the answers that really dredge up a lot of painful stuff for Lillian which brings in discrimination and the painful results. The main character, Piper, reminded me of Melanie in the Tradd Street stories and Tucker of Jack, sort of predictible characters with predictible ways, but the story itself and the other characters made up for it!
on February 28, 2016
This was an exceptional piece by Karen White and I was glad to not know until the very end what happened.
on August 15, 2017
I love all of Karen White's books. My interest continued from beginning to end The Lost Hours gets 5 stars. Terrific book!!