Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on August 3, 2014
I have written two books about a bottle-nose dolphin that also was for some reason abandonded and taken up with human companionship. His name is JoJo he is the dolphin that many people have swum with around the Tuks and Caicos Islands. I believe human companionship was a huge factor in his growing up without a mother. I'm very lucky that he has chosen me as his friend. I haven't finished Luna but so far the humans are providing much needed friendship and entertainment.
Jay Sargent author of JoJo and Me and JoJo and Me II
on July 16, 2013
I don't want to give anything away in this "review". Most times I read a review someone writes on amazon and buy the end of it there is no need to actually read the book. I don't want to go into details about this book because if you're on this page and some how found this book, you need to read it. It's a very well told (to the point that it could be completely made up, except it's not) story about life, and how we treat not only each other but other species we live with. This is from the Editorial Reviews I saw here on Amazon a sort of behind the scene's book on the Film - The Whale which is narrated by Ryan Reynolds. I did not however see the movie before I read this and it didn't take away from the book at all. They basically give you a run down of the story in the first few pages so you know what's going on and then it goes from there. I plan to rent the movie and see how much the book adds to it, I'm sure like any book/movie there is a lot left out from the movie which adds to the book and gives you more information. I believe it's a good thing that Orca's are becoming more in the public eye, for too long we've kept them in tanks, not really questioning it. Thanks to book's like this one and Death at Sea World by David Kirby, the film this book comes from, The Whale and the soon to be released Blackfish, the story of these animals and how amazing they truly are is starting to get out.
on February 9, 2014
Ever wonder what makes another species look at us in a way the almost seems they understand us? This story has a whale that does just that. We my never know why he took to people over other whales but he did. This may be a spoiler but if you read the newspaper accounts you may already know, he ended up being killed by a boat collision, whether this would have happened had he not tried to seek out people and became accustom to boats who knows. Over all the book is good if not rather sad.
on July 19, 2013
The "Lost Whale" is a "must read" for anyone interested in Orca whales and their interaction with humans...and governments. The excellent films "Saving Luna" and "The Whale", both made by the same authors as this book. are about the same heartbreaking episode of the young Orca separated from his family, and how well meaning but contradictory government efforts prevented his being reunited with his family. The book the authors have written about the episode is actually much better than the the films at humanizing all the players involved and offering a full view of the efforts involved. Buy the films for the beauty of the location and images of the human-orca interaction that took place. Read the book to get the fuller story of the events!
on February 4, 2015
This was a tough book to read and a story with a terrible ending. It seemed that all the parties on both sides of the issue were more concerned with their own positions than that of the whale. Moving him may not have solved the problem but it was better than leaving him to his ultimate fate.
on August 1, 2014
There are things we don't know, things not easily explained, that give one hope and comfort - like a little whale in the NW who befriended a community for the purpose of companionship. A touching account, and important lesson that we are all connected and responsible for each other. Right up there with Wesley the Owl, and Joe Hutto's books!
on July 14, 2016
A moving, loving, sensitive book about a "baby" whale who loses his way and ends up in a harbor and the people who love him and are conflicted on how best to reunite him with his pod.
on May 29, 2014
Great book, well written. Touching story.
Lots of good visuals and matches well with the setting described.
I loved reading it!
on April 8, 2015
This movie will make you laugh and cry. A beautifully told story of the life of Luna and all those who fought to keep him free.
on March 2, 2014
If you have seen the movie about Luna than you must read the book. A truly imspiring story about how people refused to give up on helping this whale.