Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 216 reviews
on October 20, 2011
I bought the book and DVD because my husband and I hadn't been able to visit the Louvre in our recent short trip to Paris. Even though I already had two large art books on the Louvre, I thought that this would be a great way to see the paintings that I had missed. The book itself is excellent; it is the DVD that I have major problems with. The disk claims to be a DVD which means that it should hold a little over 4 GB of data. This theoretical DVD only holds 228 MB of data including the software program which doesn't work very well for viewing the images; a CD holds almost 700 MB of data. The images on the DVD total 194 MB, and half of those 6,753 items are extremely small thumbnails. The largest image is 2,194 KB. I expected to get a DVD with relatively high quality images of the paintings and was extremely disappointed with what I received. Whoever put this DVD and software program together should be ashamed of themselves.
2525 comments| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2015
A collection of great art works, unfortunately many are reproduced here in very small versions, and even the accompanying CD has the same small pictures. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't figure out how to enlarge them on my screen. I bought this for my artist significant other, just sits on the shelf in her studio.
on March 13, 2014
I was greatly disappointed when I opened this book and found awesome breathtaking paintings (I'v being in Louvre) printed in oversize post stamps size. This book is more like catalog, not album. It is arranged by artists. Each artist has short half page introduction, one painting printed in half page or whole page size and the rest of his paintings is printed in around 2x3 inches size, up to 12 pictures per page. Each picture has only name and location in Louvre, like second floor, room 33. I gave it 2 stars instead of one because it seems like it does have all the pictures.
P.S. Book came with DVD, but I was so disappointed with a book, that I sent it back without opening DVD.
on January 18, 2014
What can we say about the Louvre; it contains some of the greatest works of art in human history. Having had the great fortune of viewing quite a number of these paintings firsthand in the Louvre, I was extremely pleased to see that ALL the paintings in this grand treasure-trove were finally released. The main reason being, that I had seen works there that never seemed to appear in other art books, and memories alone cannot restore the original in detail in the mind’s eye, hence it cannot satiate one’s various reasons for being drawn to a particular work, be it for its aesthetic charm, psychological impact, creativity, color scheme, composition, etc. One such work was “The Young Martyr,” by Paul Delaroche.

However, that example brings to light the main drawback of this ambitious volume. The image is sadly minuscule, as are the majority of artworks reproduced. I cannot fault the publisher too harshly, however, for these reasons. First, the huge number of works that the Louvre contains cannot be presented in one volume any other way. Second, if they did make this a multi-volume edition, it would have been too expensive for many people. Third, making this single volume gives people who never had, or will have, the chance to visit the Louvre a complete representation of their art treasures, all at a very reasonable price. Fourth, many art books aimed at the broad public have extremely poor color reproductions, some being an absolute insult to the artist and the art world. And while this edition does not boast the highest quality available, it nevertheless is “good,” especially considering the amount of works presented in this massive volume.

Being an artist/author myself, I find the ability to open this book in the comfort of a favorite chair or sofa a great relief, sparing my eyes from the glare of a computer screen. This, again, brings to light another issue; namely that of the accompanying DVD. The images are likewise minuscule, and not worth the effort or strain.

Nevertheless, the robust catalog that this edition boasts affords the professional or layman the ability to study lesser known artists and their works, thus broadening one’s knowledge and clarifying one’s vision about the exchange of ideas, from artist to artist, or from one school to another, and acquiring a better understanding of the chronological timeline of how tastes, influences and priorities change.

As such, despite its flaws, for the price, it is a great addition to my library, and a book that anyone can pick up to gain pleasure from, or be inspired by one of the small images within to research an artist further elsewhere. But the wealth of artistic genius within this hefty tome is worth the sacrifices, as such, it is highly recommended for art lovers or art students interested in art history.
on May 22, 2017
This book is a monster in size and weight, but well worth the price if this sort of thing is your bag. I visited the Louvre a month before purchase, and will be much better informed about particular paintings the next time I go. The photography is well done, and the descriptions are informative.
on October 28, 2012
I was so excited to get this book and was so dissapointed when it came. It's just too large to brouse. It weighs a ton and there is just no possible way to read it on your lap. So, I had to thumb through it while standing, with it lying on the dining room table. After standing for a long perod of time..I called it a day. Many of the images are so small, one cannot make them out without a magnifying glass. While it was quite a feat putting this volume together, it's just not manageable. It should have been featured as several volumes of lesser size. The Louvre: All the Paintings
on January 7, 2012
I echo the previous comments about disappointment with the DVD. It would not open with the Windows (Vista) media player, but did open with the Windows media center, at least partially. I have been able to view content using the "artists" and "collections" tabs, but whatever the "rooms" section is supposed to do, it won't do it. The software is very slow, and as several others have noted, the pictures are very small, too small to be informative or of much use. I hope I am able to get the "browse" function working, because I have been to the Louvre a number of times, and was looking forward to recapping the experience.
on April 18, 2012
Some 3 weeks ago I received this book and I have become quite addicted to it !
I have seen most of the paintings in real in the Louvre, and I know it is very difficult to get close to the original colors of the paintings when you print them on a piece of paper,but the publishers did a very good job in my opinion.
Also the big size of the book helps by showing you the tiny details on the paintings better, it is a pleasure to just browse through the book, but also to read the interesting information about the paintings themselves and their creators.

I gave 4 stars out of 5 because the title of the book is not correct: not ALL the Louvre paintings are in the book ! I have seen a painting in the Louvre that was made by a painter who has the same family-name as I have, but unfortunately this painting is not in the book. Actually one of the reasons to buy this book was to get more information about this painter and get a "copy" of this painting. Nevertheless I don't regret ordering this book, it is very good value for the money and I can recommend it to everyone who loves art.

Richard,
the Netherlands
on May 25, 2014
The pictures of the paintings are too small to be able to appreciate them. One can get better views of them by viewing the Louvre on line.
on March 19, 2014
For those who can't dash over to Paris every few months to get a fix of extraordinary art, this is the collection for you. It's kind of mesmerizing. Once you open the cover you lose track of time. This a wonderful art collection beautifully assembled. Keep it in an easily accessible space and you will "nibble" at its contents almost daily. Visitors also fall under its spell. Makes it hard sometimes to converse when your friends have their noses pressed against this beautiful window to the Louvre.