Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 8,811 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,896 reviews
on January 19, 2017
It is definitely a good book for couples and it has improved my relationship with my wife. If nothing else it shows you what things your partner is really looking for out of their spouse. I quickly found that my love language was "Acts of Service". Though it might not be sexy or macho to say that, it means more to me to have the dishes and laundry done when I come home after work or have minor home improvements taken care of before I get home. My wife and I have 2 small children and our house is hard to stay clean because every room feels like a mess. We do clean it all the time but it feels like a losing battle. My wife's love language is "Words of Affirmation". As you can tell from all these Amazon reviews I am much more of a writer than I am a talker. My wife is always looking for me to say how much I love and appreciate her because I don't say it often enough.

A big part of improving your relationship with your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend is to sticking with a date night to make sure you have quality time together. Especially if you have children or a high stress occupation. My wife and I have been together for 10 years and got stuck in the rut of an endless routine of doing everything we could for our kids, followed by daily chores and left little time for ourselves. Committing to 1 date night a week has really helped our relationship and improved our communication.

I recommend the book for sure and found it inspiring and worth reading. All couples can benefit from reading this book. The only downside is I wish it could have been a little longer. The stories from the author are interesting and I would have liked to have heard a bunch of his other examples of couples that he has dealt with. It was a short book and my wife and I finished it in 4 or 5 days and that was reading it slowly. The price is easily affordable. I found it best to photo copy the test quiz at the end instead of writing in the book so we can give the book to any family or friends who are struggling with their relationship.
on January 13, 2017
One of the best books ever written about marriage! Dr. Chapman breaks down marriage into 5 Simple Love Languages that everyone can relate to. If you are married, or thinking of getting married, having marital problems you need to read this book! It is well worth the money. This book is definitely cheaper than a divorce! I love it!!! Definitely helped my marriage!!!
on March 5, 2010
Like a couple of other reviewers I had read the original Five Love Languages. It is insightful and has helped me and my wife communicate much more effectively. If you haven't read that, then by all means buy this book. Unfortunately this book has hardly been changed from its original edition and I believe that there should be some sort of disclaimer. Luckily Amazon accepted the return (I purchased the Kindle edition) as I reported this to them within a day of purchase.
66 comments| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
This book came across my way in Target one day and I wanted it.
It wasn't until that it was recommended to me by one of my very good friends that I had decided to finally leap and buy it.
OF course relationship problems at the time -___- 75% his fault 25% mine (You know how some simple minded men are, they act straight foreign on you when you tell them you feel uncomfortable about something then they lie to you and expect you to get over it or just see that your feelings don't matter in this situation when it does because a Monogamist relationship consists of TWO PEOPLE NOT UNO) Yet this book truly explained some things.

I've come at easy with some things and he has grasped a better understanding of how unfair he was being. I had to sit and read the chapters to him because he dislikes reading books @_@ Kinda obvious that I am the bookworm and he's the game whore.
on September 30, 2015
5 Languages of LOVE.... Wow!!! It's totally an eye opener for me on what are my needs in the aspect of LOVE and helped me in understanding the needs of others too... I totally love this book and I truly recommend this for young couples or even singles who are in their journey to find LOVE. It really helped me a lot.... I already read this book when a friend let me borrowed her copy to me.... But I got another one to have my own copy and I bought this as a gift to a friend who's getting married.... They need to understand this :P I think it's a must :)

I truly recommend this book at heart.... For sure you'll love this :)
on December 26, 2016
The strategies that this book teaches are wonderful. If you and your partner feel like you're both "trying" but just not on the same page, I'd highly recommend taking a look at this; even if you don't follow it to the letter, the basic lesson of "different people communicate differently and place different priorities on different things" is invaluable for couples. Similarly, being able to categorize the way one naturally wants to give/receive affection is a really accessible for those who aren't accustomed to thinking critically about their relationship.

I have two main gripes/reservations, though. First, Dr. Chapman isn't a social scientist, and holds no degrees in psychology or counseling. His qualifications are all from religious institutions. I think this book is an incredibly valuable tool for couples, but it's important to include a caveat that this isn't Science. Further, the book is colored by a thinly-veiled evangelical perspective and contains several questionable generalizations and descriptions about men and women (particularly regarding sex). If that's going to bother you, this book might not be for you.

Second -- you can find most of this information online. The book was originally released in the 90's, and today the internet is saturated with people who have applied these principles to their respective relationships and who happily share their experience. You can take the official test at 5lovelanguages.com, and find plenty of strategies for practicing each language on that same site and on many blogs.
on May 3, 2016
My boyfriend and I have been discussing marriage for a year now. He and I are very certain that we are each other's soulmate and it's only a matter of right timing before we tie the knot. We've been together over 2 years now, (2 years and 3 months roughly) and we are certainly coming out of the honeymoon phase if not already completely out of it. I know he still loves me very much and he knows I love him. There are just a few moments that I find I'm not getting something out of the relationship that I did when we were dating. I started reading this book to get a better understanding about how to better our relationship. Not only did I discover a lot about my boyfriend but a lot about myself. All the feelings and complaints I've had about our relationship all make sense about the way I like to receive love. It's definitely not the same way my boyfriend likes to receive his, and the lack of understanding that about ourselves has created confusion and conflict. He has been perfectly happy, while some aspects I could be happier with, and it's because his "love tank" was being filled while mine was only being maintained. Everything this book discusses makes sense and I can't wait to discuss it all with my boyfriend and have him understand me better and I him. I think this will really help our relationship to be better than it's ever been, and continue to be fulfilling after we get married!
on April 25, 2016
I have been dying for a good book. Everything I have in my arsenal is self help, inspirational type books and I was trying to find something different. My friend just started reading this in hopes of helping her relationship between her and her fiancé and she said I should try it. Then a friend posted on FB about it. This seems to be the trending book.

I ordered the paperback copy because I love to read an actual book. I'm on my phone / tablet enough as it is. I started reading this Saturday night and I couldn't put it down. It is so insightful. I jumped right to the back and took the quiz to see which Love Languages mine are. I was a little surprised at the results, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Now that I know my Love Languages, I can focus more on learning about those areas, but also focus on the areas where I didn't score as high.

Knowing your love language will help to strengthen your relationships around you. Not just your relationship with your spouse, significant other, etc, but with friends and family as well.

It's great to read this book with your partner too and have them take the quiz because then you can learn each other's Love Languages and satisfy their needs in a way that they need to be met based on their personal love language and vice versa.

The information in the book is not boring. It's incredibly insightful and so helpful, especially if you are struggling in any relationship or you are just trying to love yourself better.

A must read for everyone!
review image
on August 26, 2016
I originally stumbled upon the concept of the five love languages when I read The 5 Love Languages for Singles. As I read, I experienced a eureka moment. I was used to seeing love only through the lens of my primary love language, but all of a sudden I realized that others were saying I love you... even shouting it... even when I was oblivious to it. I decided to turn to this book now that I am married and wasn't disappointed.

I found the book to be well-written and an easy read, although there were parts of it that were somewhat redundant... especially toward the end. This is the kind of book that the more you put into it, the more you get. Chapman includes exercises at the end of every chapter to help you put into practice the ideas presented. There are also a number of practical tips strewn throughout the text. I found these tips particularly helpful as my spouse's primary love language is foreign to me.

If you're not familiar with the concept of the five love languages, you owe it to yourself to check out one of Chapman's books. It will transform your relationships with anyone who is important to you... spouse, children, friends, family, co-workers, whomever.
on March 12, 2017
The unspoken assumptions in this book are that both partners are capable of rational decision making and are free of any emotional or mental health difficulties. I was disappointed that challenges such as depression or addiction weren't at least mentioned. Overall, it was a useful perspective but I can't help but feel the saccharine optimism "learn your partner's love language and live happily ever after" was a stretch without addressing more serious relationship challenges.