Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on May 26, 2014
I just starting reading it and it helps alot to understand and remember what teenagers go through and how to best approach them and make the feel loved. It is really a reminder. I'm not all the way through the book so can't rate it fully. I"ve read all the other 5 languages of love books and really benefited from them and think my kids and I will benefit from this book also.
on August 1, 2017
I read the 5 love languages for couples and children. I was delighted to find one about teens. I have a great 14-year old and I was concerned that he didn't feel like he was loved. I think the practical advice from this book will help me show him how loved he is.
on April 2, 2018
This book has done wonders for the relationship between me and my 13 year old son. Easy to follow and informative.
on February 5, 2017
This book is great. They touched a lot of good points and pointed out things I have been doing that I shouldn't. So I have learned things that I need to work on. I highly reccomend it.
on November 13, 2016
This is a great book. Chapman's love languages is great for adults and kids and it really helped us learn a lot more about our teenagers. If you are wishing to connect with your teens then this is a great book. Kids will like it too.
on August 6, 2017
this book helped me realize how i may sincerely love my kids, but as they get older, they need to feel loved by me. I must learn their primary love language and speak it regularly.
on December 6, 2016
Purchased as a Christmas gift for a friend. She is very excited to read this book based on my telling her about my reading the related 5 Love Languages book for married couples.
on November 4, 2014
Overall, this book was very helpful in me connecting with my 17 yr old rebellious daughter. We are very different and speak different love languages. I now am equipped to show her love in HER language and I've witnessed the miraculous happen. An answer to a two year prayer!
on June 25, 2013
I love the tone of this book. The author comes across well, with the whole goal being to get to know our teens at the heart level.
I found myself wanting to see my kids in this same light, as wonderful people God positioned in my life for me to know and interact with. Just that part would have made this book worthwhile. It really did help to change my heart toward them.

There were some areas where I felt entitled to respect from them, but those thoughts were dashed as I realized I owe them only love. The author also addressed every question that came up, such as, "Isn't that indulgent?" "What about discipline?" "If I just love them, won't they walk all over me?" Those questions proved I just didn't understand the meaning of the word Love. These questions were particularly answered in the chapters about acts of service and gifts, two love languages that can easily be misused by both parents and teenagers. I learned some things I'd never thought of, such as making a ceremony out of gift giving, in order for it to be accepted as a gift rather than just something a son or daughter is entitled to. About acts of service, I appreciated the advice to serve, all the while explaining what we are doing, so that they will never misunderstand and think they are entitled to acts of service, and also that they will not miss what we are doing is expressing love.

Something else that was new to me, and I hadn't counted on, was the moodiness of teenagers. I didn't know that was common and that it will be outgrown. I know, I should have known, I was obviously one at one time, but I missed the obvious, and had some aha moments personally, when I read this book. I hadn't known that there is no need to be offended or intimidated by these moody spells, but to lovingly address the person just as if they were not.

There was a whole chapter devoted to finding out our teens' love languages, and even how they might have changed dialects by growing up.

The book is up to date, acknowledging that there are cell phones and electronics, and how this affects today's teens so much more than the previous generation.

The reason I don't give it five stars is because I thought the author could have used more examples of interests kids could have. So many of the examples and suggestions involved either peer relationships, homework, or sports, all areas where I thought kids would be displaying false personalities. I would have liked to read more examples about family activities in the home, where everyone tends to be more like themselves, and where the reality of their life will lie as soon as they graduate from school. It could also be that we are farming, and our lifestyle is very home centered instead of business trip/9 -5 hours oriented, and I just couldn't relate to those examples. Anyway, that small concern didn't take much away from a great book, There is so much wise advice here, that we could easily fill in our own examples from our life. This is a book I'm glad to have in my library and one that I will read again.
on January 26, 2018
It has now been years since I've purchased and read this book and I still to this day reference it in conversations and advice for friends and family. This version alongside the original "love languages" are an irreplaceable read - they change how you communicate and relate to others in such a positive way!