Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 354 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 4,719 reviews
on October 24, 2015
I can't really say I enjoyed this book. It was so slow and went on and on. I am so glad its over.

I don't really even know how to review this book. It wasn't a romance mystery at all. It was just a mystery and a bad one at that. The story line and plot just dragged. It was like the author was desperately trying to make this such a mystery with twists and secrets that it became just boring and annoying. You just wanted it to end, and when it did, it was THE END, very abrupt. Like the author wants you to get the next book to find out all the things that happened to Dan. Well, I don't care. So no thanks.

There is lots of dialogue throughout the entire book, actually it was mostly dialogue. I love lots of dialogue. However, the conversations were written in a choppy, in-circles type of way that was just annoying. The author was trying so hard at not wanting you to figure anything out, that the entire story suffered.

I cannot recommend this book.

I can recommend the narrator. I really enjoy Fiona Hardingham. She does have a british accent. And at times it is thick depending on the character. Her cockney accent is very good. Some people complain about her accent but I like it. She does a good job with the mens voices and she has a very nice reading voice. The narrator is the only reason I finished this book.

I got this on amazon for free and the whispersync for 1.99. Glad I didn't spend any more than that on this poorly written book.
on March 22, 2015
had to be one of the free ones. why do i keep trying the free ones?! this is better than most, but just couldn't get into it, and yet did kind of want to find out what was going on. so skimmed it trying to keep up with the gist and jut get to the end. i mostly read and partly skimmed. what i couldn't believe was that after spending all the time i hadn't really wanted to spend, so know how it turned out - came to the end and it just quit - stopped just as it was about to end and said - read the next book to find out what happened. well, that ended it for me. what does he do - end each book with no ending? pretty stupid. so, if you like a decent writer of a book with decent plot twists, and with abolutely no ending, a book that ends just as it is about to reveal what you've read the whole book for....then you'll love this book.
on August 19, 2016
This story is mostly annoying. While it tries to be suspenseful, it has too much going on. It's not confusing, just absurd. One minute Emma is afraid to be in her apartment and the next she's chasing an unknown assailant down the streets of London. Too many secrets that refer to the past which is not even that big of a deal. Emma was stalked in her past and it breaks up her long term relationship, but she doesn't even mention it to her best friend of three years? Really.
on November 2, 2015
I just do not get the 4 rating. I am thinking that there are two categories of mystery lovers. The first is hard boiled.... makes sense .... gets to the point. The other is - well - just difficult to get through as it meanders and repeats the inane and repetitious thoughts of some of the characters. I gave this a two as there is at least a plausible story line. I could not stand the authors approach of having some major related event after just about every chapter that raises some major mystery point - that got tiring. This is one of those where have to just speed read/flip through to get to the end. At least it was free - just not my cup of tea.
on August 14, 2014
I usually give good reviews. I find the good in most books but.. This book is horrible. It was all over the place and you can't follow it the way it's meant to be followed. I love mysteries, suspense and romance novels but this was just everywhere..it was hard to follow the characters until midway through the book.. There's way too many back stories and they could all have potential but it's too much. The writing style is not good and fhe way this story is told is not a smooth flow. I do not recommend this book even though it's free.. The only reason I finished this book was because it was a book club pick and I wanted to be able to participate in the Convo.. But I'm not sure anyone else will finish it... It was frustrating.. Not worth it
on December 31, 2011
I gave this book two stars because it was free. If I'd had to pay for it, I would have given it only one. I got the Kindle version, which may have been part of the reason it was hard to follow. Usually, when an author makes a big switch in character or time, he or she will use a large enough "white space" to signal the switch, and with the Kindle version the white space may have been eliminated when the file was converted into the digital format, so I tried to keep that in mind as I read.

The white space would have been helpful because there were a lot of shifts that were hard to follow. The narrator was talking about "he" doing or saying something, then a few lines later he was again talking about "he" doing or saying something, but it was a different "he" being discussed. I found this technique confusing and very frustrating. Several times I had to go back and read passages over again to figure out if the story was about the same character or if it had shifted to another.

The author made an attempt at creating complex characters and storylines, but he fell short in reaching his goal.

A good mystery/suspense should keep the reader guessing and even lead him to suspect the wrong person first. After all, who wants to figure out the mystery from the very beginning? However, the reader should not feel manipulated and the unraveling of the mystery should be logical. In this case, I felt like the solution to the mystery was contrived and unbelievable.

As I was reading, I kept thinking that the book must have been self-published and suffered from a lack of an editor. One or two grammatical errors can be forgiven, but _The One You Love_ had one or two DOZEN grammatical errors, which I find very distracting.

I have to disagree with the reviewers who said the book was well-written. In my opinion, character development was poor, and the storyline was hard to follow.
22 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2016
I downloaded for free. If I had purchased it, I'd be even more disappointed. Although there was a few instances of good writing, the pace was so SLOW and there were some editing problems. I figured out the "bad guy" long before the reveal. That happens in many books so I really won't hold that against the author too much but what I cannot forgive was the totally abrupt ending. For a story to plod along then just stop was not satisfying.Since this is the first of a trilogy, I wondered if it was stopped only to count it as a separate book. Even books of a series have endings that tie the story up then leave crumbs for the continuation of the series. This one did not. It honest-to-God just stopped. No wrap up. No crumbs. Just dead stop. Like a cheap trick. For that reason, I will not be purchasing the other two in the series.
on December 21, 2015
I found the characters unbelievable.They seemed to have too much time on their hands. If they worked it did not interfere with doing what they wanted when they wanted. Money was no issue to them. They lived as though privileged. Even the privileged have responsibilities. Success in life was second or third to what was important in the moment. Passion, loss, grief?? ; Even denial and anger was second placed. Emma's naivete was astounding. I figured the plot out early in the book and the authors attempt at revealing a plot and then moving to another diversion made me fell as though I was being switched in tv for a commercial. Was not a fan and two more Emma books lost me!
on February 18, 2016
I almost stopped reading this book but I slogged my way to the end. The author tried overly hard to make nearly every character in the book a possible suspect. Then, instead of one bad guy causing all the problems, there turned out to be multiple bad guys with different but complementary motivations. In order to accept all this as even remotely reasonable, you had to ignore some big holes in the logic. As if that wasn't bad enough, the trick ending was totally beyond belief. I had no issues with the writing style. The problems all lie in the ridiculous plot.
on January 19, 2017
I liked the story ok, which is why I gave it two stars, but it was confusing sometimes, mostly because of the way in which some sentences were written. There were multiple instances of unclear pronoun references that left me confused about who was referring to whom. There were also other grammatical mistakes strewn throughout the book, which makes me wonder: who proofread this novel? I did finish this book but I will not be getting the others in the series. I understand that I'm not missing much though, if the reviews on the next story are to be believed.