Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,030 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,244 reviews
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2012
The Lumineers are a folksy trio who stick to their roots. Accompaniment is minimalist: guitar, cello, mandolin, percussion (stomps, claps, tambourine, drums). The lead vocalist's voice is more down-home than polished or pretty, but it fits the music perfectly. He sings with conviction and emotion. The backing vocals range from light harmonies to rowdy shouts. Passion infuses their songs, whether the catchy "Ho Hey" or the heart-wrenching but electrifying "Morning Song." They have a gift for crafting instantly engaging melodies, but they do enough with them so that they don't get stale after repeated listens. As simple as the music is, it resonates emotionally so that it continues to captivate and inspire. Each listen is rewarding and emotionally fulfilling.

My first inclination is to compare them with the Avett Brothers (particularly "I and Love and You") and Mumford and Sons. But I realize both of these comparisons are lacking. There's no banjo here. The overall sound is simpler. But this isn't a deficiency. It suits their songs beautifully. This self-titled recording is near perfect.

The first track, "Flowers in Your Hair", feels incomplete because it's so short and ends abruptly. The second track, "Classy Girls", takes a while to get going, but it evolves into a foot-stomping good time. "Submarines" is the first complete and instantly captivating song. But the hits just keep coming thereafter. There really isn't a dud on the album.

As of now, Amazon has each of the album's songs available to stream in full. Take the opportunity to sample the album in its entirety. There's a good chance you won't regret it. If this style of music appeals to you, you can't go wrong. Excellent album!
on April 7, 2012
Finally, an album that I can listen to all the way through! Over the past few months, the Lumineers quickly became my new go-to. It's just pleasant music w/ great melodies and interesting depth. About half of this album is a more polished version of the EP and the other half is new songs. If I had to characterize The Lumineers, I'd say they're similar to Bright Eyes, except 10 times better and a tenth as annoyingly self-infatuated. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like this music.
on October 18, 2012
Admittedly, I bought this CD for the song Ho Hey, and then became crazy about the rest. For the most part, the songs are fairly upbeat, ranging from the humorous (Submarines) to antiwar (Charlie Boy), with a few stopovers in between for a life lesson (Classy Girls) and an amusing love song (Dead Sea). If I had any complaints at all, it would be about the order in which the songs are presented. Why a dirge after the lovely Ho Hey? They didn't just switch gears they slammed on the brakes. I almost got whiplash!

I do love my songs with a bit of substance. This group has all that and more.

My favorites are Ho Hey, Dead Sea, Flapper Girl, and Submarines.
on January 20, 2017
The actual album itself is amazing, I love the Lumineers and this album. Sound quality and such is good. Just took a star off because a corner of my vinyl was bent when it arrived, and the paper sleeve inside was ripped (I know it's basically only there to protect the record itself, but I still prefer to have them in nice condition).
review image review image
on February 25, 2014
I guess in a word I would describe this album as generally sentimental. I cleaned out a large file cabinet tonight filled with memories both bitter and sweet and this album was the perfect soundtrack to the chore. I've listened to it a few times previously and found it to be just as sentiment-provoking while cleaning the house. It's just a thoughtful, sweet album. Very "songwritery". Some songs are upbeat and cause you to tap along whether you like it or not, and other songs make you want to wallow in a drink. Also a good album for that late night, window down drive to nowhere on a back road, not really wanting to go home and lose the vibe. Good stuff.
on December 8, 2012
Heard a song or two on the radio by this band that I had never heard of. Submarines is what really caught my attention as well as Ho, Hey. There is an infectious beat. I also previewed some of their performances on YouTube. I purchased the CD and was not disappointed. I like every song and most I really, really like. That is saying a lot because sometimes you buy a CD and there is only one good song on it. If you, like me, sometimes want to find a new band/artist to stimulate your musical taste, I would not hesitate to recommend The Lumineers. Preview the songs here at Amazon and, if you like what you hear, you will like the CD. Oh, and I just heard the Lumineers were nominated for a Grammy.
on April 27, 2014
I could listen to The Lumineers over and over.....wait...I still do. I have owned this DVD for about six months and can't wait for their next release. Not a bad song on the entire album.
Watch some performances on You Tube and you will see how much this trio just loves making and playing music. They toured while driving around in a van, and staying at invited homes from concert goers. Fame found them, but when you watch them or listen to their music, you appreciate how deeply they care about their music.
As usual, Amazon the only place to buy!! Great price, and free Cloud version included.
on April 30, 2017
Album doesn't play 100% perfectly (some scratchy audio issues on certain tracks), but overall it's a good purchase.
on March 18, 2013
To start off, I'd like to admit that I'm not into folk music. Granted, when I was a kid, I did like Peter, Paul, and Mary. But, that was the 70's (yes, I know I'm admitting my age). I'm more into Rock and Alternative. And like most people, I was turned on to the Lumineers' 'Ho Hey' from that Bing commercial. That said, I was pleasantly surprised that I actually do like it. Of course, I have to give credit to Amazon for bringing the price of the MP3 album down to $3.99. I may never have bought it if wasn't that low. I'm more of a CD buyer, because I like idea of a "collection." But that price made this album my first digital only music purchase. That's how much I liked 'Ho Hey'.

So now that I bought entire album, I listened to it on Amazon's cloud player. And, I was surprised I liked it as much as I do. The whole album is quite enjoyable. Yes, the stand out song is 'Ho Hey', but as much as I listen to that song, I find myself equally drawn to 'Submarines' with its upbeat warm feeling. Kind of gives me that warm feeling of being wrapped up in a blanket on a cold morning. Another song worth mentioning is 'Stubborn Love' with its haunting cello. While I do think it's somewhat of a sad sounding song, it somehow keeps drawing me in.

So, I'm sure you're asking yourself, if I liked this album so much, why did give it only 4 stars? As pleasant as the album is, a lot of it sounds alike. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just not my thing. Bands and artists that keep me buying their CD's have some variety in the album. Of course, I'm sure the die-hard Lumineers fans will say I don't know what I'm talking about, because that's their style. And, I'm not going to argue. Because they do what they do very well. And, I'm looking forward to their next album.

To sum up, as a whole, the album is quite an enjoyable listen. So, if you're on the fence, I say buying the album is worth it. In my opinion, if I had just bought one song, namely 'Ho Hey', I would have cheated myself out of an entire listening experience. And that would have definitely been a shame.
on August 12, 2012
I have been looking for this CD since I heard the Ho Hey song. I will be honest, I had not heard of the Lumineers before this song. I was a fan from the first time Ho Hey was on my radio. It it a happy catchy tune. It made me feel like it's the theme song to most feel good moments you have with your friends. I am not disappointed at the rest of the songs on the CD. They all have a catchy pure sound and make me smile; Flower in Your Hair is my 2nd favorite so far! The songs get caught in your head for sure, but not in a bad "please get out" way!

I'm looking forward to playing this CD over and over during short trips to work, home, etc. and long road trips. This is one I will encourage my friends to purchase as well. I'm very happy with this purchase!