Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 89 reviews
on January 31, 2017
A feel good book where he author develops the characters and their stories beautifully using facts and observations. He clearly took time to ask carefully crafted questions and listened to the brides and families he chose to incorporate into this book.

The stories of each bride were varied, engaging and interesting. I enjoyed learning about each bride and their commitment to their chosen partners. The family relationships were heartwarming.

The Becker family story is incredible and the book makes me want to drive cross country to shop there when my daughter gets married. Something I know I will never do, but it would be wonderful to shop at a store like Becker's.

The author is a phenomenal reporter of both facts and emotions, a rare gift.

I will recommend this book to my daughter. Hopefully she will choose to read it.
on February 21, 2017
I put this on my list to read slightly more than five years ago, when my daughter was first talking about marrying the man she later became engaged to, and will be marrying in the coming months.

When I was first starting college, I remember walking into one of the rooms where a girl I knew from HS was sitting surrounded by five or more other girls, all with stacks of bridal magazines, all making poster boards of their dream weddings. None were engaged, as far as I knew none even had boyfriends then, but that dream was so deeply embedded in them that this was how they bonded. On the other hand, even though I grew up with the Disney movies with dashing Prince Charmings, I don’t think I ever had any dreams about a wedding, and certainly no elaborate plans for a wedding. My daughter, on the other hand, used to talk about the kind of wedding she wanted: a Disney wedding. In Disneyland.

Since then, which really wasn’t as long ago as it should be, she’s revised her dream wedding. The first was for a “circus” themed wedding – which is understandable if you know she’s a photographer and she was thinking of Annie Leibovitz type photographs to remember the day. I can at least relate to that.

So now that this momentous day is coming up, there is the planning for the day. Yes, the planning for the wedding day (which is decidedly more relaxed than earlier dream-weddings), too, but the day I’m talking about, thinking about, is the day she looks in the mirror, wearing the dress that makes her feel that same glow, and smiles outwardly because this is the one, the dress that makes her heart smile. The one she will wear the day she says her vows, they say their vows to each other.

The brides in this story, their mothers, even the owners of the store in this story have shed tears over many such moments. Especially in The Magic Room of this family owned store. Four generations, unbroken, of Becker women since the year 1934, have owned and run this store. Succeeding despite the Depression, despite the Dust Bowl, and WWII. Over 100,000 brides. With love comes hope.

In this two-story brick building that was once a bank, in what was once the bank vault now softly lit with a circular pedestal, that’s the Magic Room. A special room reserved for showing the brides-to-be a 360-degree glimpse of themselves. A glimpse of how they’ll appear that moment when all eyes are warmly and softly focused on them, glowing with love.

That's what I hope for, we all hope for. In those moments are where the threads of eternity lie, tying us all together. The love we all wish for our daughters, our sons and daughters, to be filled to the brim with love.
on January 19, 2012
I enjoyed this book very much. It was fun to read and very interesting as it gave facts like David's Bridal is the largest bridal chain in America. It brought up many personal stories on the brides that I then shared and discussed with some of my female relatives. As a 55-year-old woman, I was very interested in how the writer pointed out that each generation of women had their own outlook on life, marriage, and buying a wedding gown. I hope my daughters will be the ones who approach marriage for what it really is and not just be one of those bubbly-headed foolish girls who thinks marriage is all about the wedding. As a fan of shows like "Say Yes to the Dress," I was relieved to see what the average wedding gown cost, and to find it is not the thousands of dollars as shown at Kleinfield's.(Of course on that show when a bride has a price point of only $1,000, I fast forward to a bride who is willing to spend more money and get a "better" dress.) I liked that the author gave backgrounds on the women so you could understand why they made the choices that they did. I hope the writer does a similar one on guys renting wedding tuxedos. The most important thing I got from this book- I had always believed that my mother did very little when it came time to buy my wedding gown but this book made me realize that that was probably because there really weren't many stores around that carried wedding gowns. (Of course I'm still a little ticked off about it...)
VINE VOICEon June 13, 2012
If you have read any of the reviews, or really anything about this book at all, then you know that sadly the author has passed away, the victim of an auto accident. (It happened the weekend after I picked up this book.) The fact that he was moved to write a book that is ultimately about parents loving their daughters, and the fact that he will not walk any of his own daughters down the aisle, adds an incredible poignancy to a book which was pretty darned poignant to begin with.

Although I am a Say Yes to the Dress addict, I have some personal knowledge that shopping for a wedding dress these days is not necessarily like that. This book is refreshing confirmation that real women buy real dresses and are perfectly happy, even though they cost less than 6 months rent. Although the setting is a bridal store, it's about far more than the dress. The bride's whole story is compelling and touching, and when she gets on the pedestal in the Magic Room in the dress she has chosen and sheds a few tears, it's hard not to cry along with her...because it really is about so much more than the dress.

The quote that I heard about Jeffrey Zaslow that is so true is that he writes with a ton of heart. He is so committed to telling his story. His writing style is simple but elegant. We learn about the nuts and bolts of running a bridal store that has been in the family long enough for four generations to work there. It's a feel-good story of a business that has prevailed, if not exactly thrived, in a small town in the Midwest. It's about people who have worked there and come there as customers (sometimes more than once) through the years. It's about how a wedding opens the door to a lifetime together. It's just beautifully written and illustrated, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
on August 15, 2016
We chose this book for our book club, which spawned alot of conversation about our own weddings! We all even brought a picture in our wedding dress! This book was a great summer read. Easy to put down and pick up. Its not just about wedding dresses, but rather tells the stories, varied and many, of different brides. In doing so the mores of the time come into play and give you the opportunity to both reflect on how times have changed, brides have changed and women have changed. I would def recommend this book. a great summer read!
on February 11, 2012
Best-selling author Jeffrey Zaslow was killed Friday when he lost control of his car on a snowy road after promoting his latest book"The Magic Room" in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula. He was 53..God Speed And God Bless You.This is indeed sad news..You will be missed.May God comfort his family at this time..The book is excellent as where all his books even he contributed on like "Gabby" and ect... So sad..
on April 4, 2015
I really wanted to like this book, but it's extremely dull. The stories themselves might have been interesting if handled differently. The writing style seems very flat, and the technique of breaking the stories up--you get a chapter about person A, person B, person C, then person A again--is not doing the book any favors. I couldn't find any benefit to breaking up the narratives; it doesn't create unity among the stories (which I think was the intention). It just makes the book choppy and odd.
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2012
I just read abut the untimely accident that took Jeffery Zaslow this weekend and I found it so sad. I was not familar with him until this book and I really enjoyed the story and the history of this wonderful shop, the women that spent time there and the generations of the brides that walked through the doors. What a wonderful legacy to leave his daughters.

I am sorry he will never write again the world is going to miss this fantastic author. I was looking forward to reading his other pieces, and will. From whatI read he was on his way back from a book signing when the accident happened and that tells me he was doing what he loved even at the end.

Thank you Mr. Zaslow for a wonderful book, and I would recommend it highly. It is a beautiful piece of work
on May 7, 2014
I really enjoyed this book to the point that I ordered a copy to give to my supervisor. I had seen the bridal shop and the book featured on the news after the author Jeff Zaslow passed away and I was intrigued. I grew up in Michigan, so it also had a personal interest to me on that level.
The book features the stories of several women including the story of several generations of the Becker family who own and operate the bridal shop that is the center of the book. It ended up touching me deeply in ways I did not expect in terms of some of the life stories. If you are expecting a book about 'Bridezillas' look somewhere else. It is thoughtful and well written and makes me all the more sad that the author is gone.
on October 21, 2012
Quite some time ago, I had torn out and saved a review of this book, for future reference if/when my daughter got engaged. That happened happily in August and I ordered the book shortly thereafter. I wanted to read it "together" with my daughter, and have done that by us sharing the same book with notes and highlights. It is beautifully written... a sentimental journey discovering the mother/daughter relationship that shines through as you go through wedding planning. But there is something extraordinarily special about that time when you see your daughter step before the mirror in the perfect wedding dress.

Jeff Zaslow has written so thoughtfully and with such wisdom and clarity... describing a mix of brides-to-be and the special people that watch what unfolds in that Magic Room. The book evoked memories, tears, good feelings, smiles and virtual hugs... for a daughter who lives 500 miles away. Through the book we have shared a unique experience as we go forward into this happy time in our lives.