Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Magnificent Obsession: Embracing the God-Filled Life
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on September 14, 2009
When the reader turns the last page and closes the back cover, they will feel they know both Anne Lotz and Abraham personally. The message of this book is the possibility of walking with God as a friend He chooses. Anne Lotz is unreserved as she shares her successes and failures, and the lessons learned from each. Written in an easy-to-read conversational voice, concepts often thought difficult are presented in a style even those who are intimidated by the idea of 'bible study' can handle with confidence.

This is an excellent selection for seekers as well as Christians looking to expand their understanding of relationship with Jesus Christ. I read the whole book in a short afternoon. I am a critical student of Christian writings and found this to be 100% authentic and Spirit filled.
on September 30, 2009
What is your passion? What ignites the glimmer in your eye? What compels you to climb out of bed every morning? In other words, what is your magnificent obsession? For bestselling author and Bible teacher Anne Graham Lotz, she knows only one magnificent obsession: God.

In her latest book, Lotz details the story of Abraham to illustrate a life wholly devoted to God. She describes "meeting" Abraham more than 30 years ago while leading a Bible study. As she read the Biblical text, she found herself resonating with one of the early forefathers of faith: "As I saturated myself in the text, Abraham walked off the pages and into my life --- a very ordinary man who became extraordinary for one primary reason --- he made the critical choice to embrace a God-filled life, to pursue knowing God and making Him known through living a life of obedient faith." Lotz's inspiration from Abraham only goes to show you how the Bible is as relevant today as it was 2,000 years ago. Normal, everyday people can find the strength and the hope in the Good Book's words to give their life direction and meaning, much like Abraham found meaning in God all those years ago.

The chapters of the book follow the journey of Abraham from Genesis 12 through Genesis 24. In each one, Lotz tells of a life principle based on Abraham's own trials and triumphs. In "Let Everything Go," she examines what it meant for Abraham to leave behind the land of Ur of the Chaldeans and enter a new land. She compares Abraham's obedience and wisdom to Lot's shortsightedness and foolishness. The scripture says little about Lot's commitment to God as he isn't known as a man who spent hours in prayer or obeying God's voice. When given the opportunity to divide the land with Abraham, he chose what looked like the best portion for himself. Such selfishness was a hallmark of Lot's life. Rather than leave the compromising lifestyle of Sodom, he chose to stay, and his decision had unforgettable consequences on his family. In the end, Lot did not consider God his magnificent obsession, and his choices were costly to himself and those he knew.

The examination of Lot's life stands in stark contrast to Abraham, who, though he made mistakes, took matters into his own hands and even lied on occasion, was quick to turn back to God and depend on Him. One of the best chapters, "Lay Everything Down," examines the harrowing moment when God called Abraham to sacrifice his own son. God's command was both personal and painful, yet Abraham chose to obey. The confidence in God's power, promise and person carried Abraham through and resulted in an unforgettable Biblical lesson.

Throughout the book, Lotz draws on compelling stories from her own life. She shares a time when she was stranded in Europe, mad at God, and found herself blessed wildly by a complete stranger. She describes her own struggles in prayer, obedience and pursuit of God candidly. As a result, her writing and material is accessible to a wide range of readers.

THE MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION may be Anne Graham Lotz's best work to date. It's highly recommended for fans of Lotz, Bible studies and small groups everywhere.

--- Reviewed by Margaret Oines
on February 12, 2010
Anne Graham Lotz is one of my favorite authors. She is a rare and beautiful find in today's Christian culture. Most Christian authors would tell you that they are writing books that point to Jesus, but most of them are a type of self-help Christianity. If all we learn is that the Bible is about us and how we live, we have nothing to offer others. Anne gives us a beautiful glimpse at Jesus in the life of Abraham. I could tell you a million comments on each section of this book, but I just want you to know that I loved it. I want you to read it. I have seen the glory of a father willing to sacrifice his own son. I have drunk deep as I watched the father send his servant to carefully select a bride for his son. I love seeing the rich beautiful tale of Jesus Christ and the lengths he goes to in order to protect the bride and get her to the son wrapped so intricately in the pages of Genesis. Beloved bride, fall into this poetic tale and live it out.
on September 21, 2009
Anne is so open and honest about her personal relationship with Jesus, as well as her challenges. I was drawn in from the first chapter as she brought to life Abraham's faith and failures in a deeper way. This book is so much more than Anne sharing stories of her life, it's a journey of faith that inspires its readers to walk closer to the Savior who loves them. I was particularly moved by her triumph over the reaction of her godly family to her calling into ministry. They initially viewed it as a "holy hobby", and were not very supportive. Anne (like Abraham) trusted God's voice, and He prepared the way for her. Because she listened and obeyed, many (like me) are truly blessed! Thank you for challenging me to be one of God's faithful servants. Mary Singer Wick, Amazon #1 bestselling author, "My Heart's Desire: A Journey Toward Finding Extravagant Love".
on March 14, 2015
This is a wonderfully awesome book. Anne's pursuit of God leads you to pursue God yourself and you won't be disappointed. He is the Magnificent Obsession or should be for every Christian. Anne makes you stop and think about what you are doing, should be doing, or can be doing. God is the reality of every life that has breath. To know Him more is to have peace within like no other. Great book.
VINE VOICEon August 31, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Magnificent Obsession challenges us to emulate the life and faith of Abraham. We are to make knowing God our "Magnificent Obsession".

The book is engaging and practical. Anne Graham is not trying to produce an intellectual volume, she is trying to touch the heart. She succeeded with me! I spend a lot of time in prayer try to know God more fully.

The one thing I am uncomfortable with though is the idea of knowing God as a "friend". While it is true tat He IS our friend in that He loves us us and wants te best for us, He is also Yahweh! The God who is so Holy that the Hebrews would not pronounce His name, or even write His name in its entirety. Abraham understood this and obeyed God in everything.

There is a tendency to focus on God's love and to overlook His Holiness. He is a just God as well as a loving God.

If we focus exclusively on "friendship" with God, we risk missing out on the fullness of who He is!

He is God and I am not!!

I highly recommend this book! Just don't miss out on the rest of God's nature!
on June 14, 2013
Anne's quest to try and discover what it was about Abraham, that made God call him his friend, is so insightful. Her honesty about her own life journey , to find a closer walk with God, through obedience to a new ministry, even though her famous father and mother were against it, was so brave. But most of all, her sharing about her personal struggle to keep her prayer time a consistent discipline, which paid off with a much deeper relationship with the Lord, was inspiring.
on September 12, 2013
I purchased this book at one of Anne's events and read through it about 2 years ago. Since then I have shared my hard copy with a friend and needed to repurchase because it is that good!
Anne reveals things that I had not seen through the life of Abraham.
on December 10, 2014
The thing I love about Anne Graham Lotz's books is there is much scipture to validate what she is writing about. It causes me to read the Scripture in a more through, thoughtful, prayerful way. Abraham and Sarah, through this book, have become "people just like me" who, even through many sins, faults, human frailties had a great heart for God and God blessed them and used them for his glory and were part of the linage of our Saviour. This book confirmed in my heart that I can be called God's friend and used by God because I don't have to be perfect because God is and He knows my heart.This book has helped me understand more about God's character and that is my heart's desire.
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After reading her mother (Ruth Bell Graham) and father's writings, expectation for Ann Graham Lotz was high and she did not disappoint. Her style is easy but full of profound truth. She is much more conversational than some Christian authors which was very beneficial for me. The anecdotes from her life are great illustrations of her parallel story with Abraham.