Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Making of a Stand-Up Guy
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 6, 2010
...and it was made all the briefer by the fact that I couldn't put it down. These days, I do most of my reading on my iPhone, which means that the book is always with me. With that understood, I finished this book in less than two days, and I mean that as a compliment to its page-turning quality.

This book is a disarming, surprisingly vulnerable telling of Charlie Murphy's life up to now. Clearly, he's had some interesting experiences. He comes off as a very down-to-earth, level-headed guy. Even though we come from totally different backgrounds, a lot of his observations about life are things that I have concluded as well.

If you're reading this, you probably know who Charlie Murphy is. If you think that you'd be interested in this book, read the excerpt linked in the upper left-hand corner of the page. If you like that, buy this book right now.
on September 3, 2010
As someone who has always secretly aspired to be a stand-up comedian, I really enjoyed reading this book. The best thing about it is that it comes across so real. I found it to be very entertaining and although it is not much help from the standpoint of giving information about the comedy business, Mr. Murphy does impart several nuggets of wisdom that I found useful.

I really enjoyed reading all of the stories. The Rick James stories are funny but there are others as well. I found myself laughing at stories that I am certain were not meant to be funny. He also does a great job of pointing out the lessons he learned along the way. It is very refreshing to know that you can take such a circuitous route to success.

Here are a few of the tips I picked up from this easy and enjoyable read:

Always address the obvious
Record everything and use it like an athlete use "game film"
Find total solitude to write. He rents a hotel room
Comedy is all about observing everyday life and extracting the funny from it

Kai Dupé
[...]
on March 24, 2013
I decided to buy the Charlie Murphy book, "Making of a Stand Up Guy," because I had just seen his touring show, "Acid Trip," and was interested in the man behind the scenes. This book was a very insightful and an entertainingly easy read. I was literally laughing out loud on the train while reading these anecdotes and memoirs. If you are interested in learning a bit more about the man behind the Prince and Rick James skits, I suggest you take a read. The style with which it was written was comprehensible, good paced and thoroughly engaging.
on August 12, 2013
Charlie Murphy pulls back the curtain and gives you a peek at the inner working of one of comedy's funniest guys! If you liked the Chappels Shows "Real Hollywood Stories", then you'll love this book too!
on December 14, 2010
Charlie Murphy's "THE MAKING OF A STAND-UP GUY" is a very well written, very interesting prospective into the life of a stand-up comic - from dreamer to popular contributor on a hit TV sketch comedy show. Charlie's prospective on his brother's rise to fame is interesting, while he makes sure not to let his brother's fame dominate his own story. Overall it is a great, fast read (two days) worthy of five stars.
on October 18, 2010
I read this book in a few days. His brother's rise to fame from his perspective was pretty interesting, but by no means did he use his brother to get where he is. I learned a lot about Charlie Murphy, he seems to be a mostly level-headed guy. I enjoyed the book, but I wish he had told more stories about his hollywood partying days. I guess he didn't want to throw any of his celebrity friends under the bus.
VINE VOICEon July 20, 2010
Before reading this book, I didn't know who Charlie Murphy was. I thought from the cover, he sure looks like Eddie Murphy. He is in fact, his older brother! I enjoyed this book, written in first person, covering his life growing up in Brooklyn to the present. This is a fast read with some really funny stuff sprinkled throughout the book.
When he was a kid, he recognized that he lacked the drive and purpose that his brother had. I think that may have been a contributing factor along with the neighborhood that he lived in as to why he got into trouble with the law. But he paid his price and set on a genuine search to find himself and what he could do well. What I liked the best was that he gained respect for himself and did not disparage others. He did not spout cheap Hollywood tell all stories but I think I would have preferred it if he didn't discuss the celebrities so much at the end of the book. He touched on his guilt that his beloved parrot died while on the road. I can understand why he never bought another parrot. I would have loved to hear some about his relationship to the rest of his family in the present also. I now know who Charlie Murphy is and would be delighted to meet him.
on May 1, 2010
I was mostly surprised by this memoir b/c I knew so little about Charlie. I read this because it was recommended by Amazon after I read Black is the New White by Paul Mooney...and it was at the library. Can I compare the two for that reason? Mooney's memoir was impressive and fascinating from a historical perspective, and he always cited his looks on top of his talent as helping him open doors. You won't believe how he gets an honorable discharge from the US Navy, and who makes it happen early. Charlie obviously had connections, and the NYC comedy scene is considerably different from other places I'm sure, but his breakthrough with screenwriting is inspiring. So are his tips and advice (as well as a key tip he acknowledges from a comedy legend) to aspiring comedians. Both of these memoirs keep it real, and are very entertaining.
on July 16, 2010
I enjoyed reading about Charlie's life and the things he had to go through to get where he is. I think it was more to let everyone know that he didn't make it by riding Eddie's coat tails. The only thing that I would've liked to see is him mention about his wives and son more, like how he felt and what was going on when he was born. I'll give it away but the only thing he said about his wife is, "this is when I married my 1st wife" and then jumped to something totally different. There were also a few other things that I felt needed closure but all in all it was a good read with a few funny lines that kept me interested.
on February 17, 2010
That's how good this book is. I first heard of Charlie Murphy through the Dave Chappelle Show. His fantastic stories about Rick James and Prince which are now legendary.

I heard about the book through the Ain't it cool xmas gift guide and i knew i had to read this.

This book is a very funny book. That's what i was after.

His stories about Michelle Pfeiffer and the impersonator competition were so funny.

I really like his story telling ability. I was entertained by this book. I read it without putting it down.

If you are looking for a book that's entertaining you can't go past this one.