Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 459 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 694 reviews
on June 22, 2016
This book hits on a very important and sensitive topic of demyelinating diseases. The stories are very well written. My grandmother had dementia and I gave this book to my father when I finished, and he loved it. I would definitely recommend it to everyone interested in demyelinating diseases.
on June 29, 2017
I purchased this book for my father who like me has an interest in these types of things. I was recommended this book by a random stranger who overheard me talking about studying neuroscience. Oliver Sacks has been highly revered for his intelligence and knowledge and his style of writing. This book reads more of a story style but they are actual case studies that he partook in. If I can't borrow it from my dad I will purchase one for myself. Looking forward to it!
on January 3, 2017
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales
by Oliver Sacks

Rating: **** (4 stars)
Book Lenght: 243 pages
Genre: Psychology, Nonfiction, Neuroscience

Sacks is a neuropsychologist who through his career has seen a number of interesting cases. Sacks started in his field when there was so much unknown about the brain. While there is still so much for us to learn, case studies, like those found in this book, have increased our understanding.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales is a classic of psychology literature. It is a collection of case studies that have inspired research and even featured films. Nearly every introductory psychology textbook will include information on the man who actually did mistake his wife for a hat. Although, I found most of that reading more interesting than the actual story in this book.

The case studies themselves are pretty succinct. They do not give you a whole sense of the person behind them. Each patient could have an entire book written about them. Many times I was left wishing that I knew more about the individuals.

As reviewed on The Book Recluse Review
on November 6, 2015
This book is a collection of fascinating neurological tales. Tales told in Oliver Sacks’ wonderful, poetic, and deeply sympathetic writing. Through them, you will enter the different worlds of the neurologically impaired, you will be able to imagine what it feels like to live and feel, as some of them do.

And not only is Sacks’ book engrossing, it’s enlightening and challenging, too. It demonstrates beautifully how the brain is still deeply mysterious, particularly in how it creates our sense—or more accurately, senses—of reality. And it makes you realize, that many of the things we take for granted, are tied to basic brain functions, that could be taken from us, at a moment's notice.

My immediate thought after finishing this book was: ‘If only every science field has an Oliver Sacks‘. Reading scientific books would’ve been much more accessible and appealing.

Rest in peace, you brilliant scientist\artist\human.
on April 26, 2015
More fascinating case studies from Oliver Sacks. Dr. Sacks approach is refreshing as it discovers what is right, fulfilling, and worthwhile in his patients, rather than dwelling exclusively on what is perceived as their deficient conditions. The effect of this fostering is, in some cases, nothing short of astonishing. It is like finding a dry seed, watering it, and watching, amazed, as it transforms into a glorious event. At its worst, scientific practice pretends to know everything and judges individuals accordingly. At its best, science understands that it owes its very existence to the fact that we do not know everything, and that using one limited mind to judge another is preposterous. A frustrating and inevitably disappointing attempt to force one limited mind to be like another, and continually disparaging it for not measuring up, is an ignorant practice that actually wastes two lives, the doctor's as well as the patient's. Conversely, Dr. Sacks' was a life well spent in liberating us from "scientific" prejudice and in setting his patients free.
on October 31, 2015
I want to clarify that this rating is for the narrated, audio version of this book, not the original print or e-book.

While the subject matter and supporting examples are truly fascinating, the narration is droll and overly clinical in its tone presenting what is already an overly pedantic style of writing. Dr. Sacks opens a door to the layman and offers a sideways glance into conventional psychology and psychiatry with thoughts, ideas, observations and evidence regarding truly fascinating psychological conditions and phenomena. Unfortunately, the style of prose is often overly academic and so field-specific at times that it can be rather inaccessible to those not well-versed in the history and nomenclature of his field. At times, the style of prose actually seems so far removed culturally that it might be more at home in 19th century fiction.
on August 24, 2017
True case histories, sad, funny, poignant, a good read for anyone interested in the workings and diagnosed conditions of the brain and neurological system. The prologue was hard going but the contents of the book more than made up for it
on November 2, 2015
A well written, largely approachable humanization of a side of the mind and medicine few of us are ever privy to. I'm so glad I picked this up on a whim! I thoroughly enjoyed every story, every foray into the tangled world of the mind, and I learned a great deal in the process. I'm a stay at home mom with two years of being a theater major in college under my belt, and I was able to not only follow the stories, but understand the vast majority of the medical information - what I wasn't able to grasp entirely on my own was helped along easily with Google. It's a beautifully human book, it touches on the spiritual and the mystery of what makes each of us the unique people we are in a delicate and loving way. The world lost someone deeply special with Dr. Sacks left us.
on February 25, 2016
I won't lie, I was absolutely haunted when I learned that Oliver Sacks died the day I purchased this. My psychology teacher informed me approximately two weeks after it arrived on my doorstep. This book is wonderfully organized and filled with riveting stories that enlighten us as to how intricate the human brain is, and just how many interesting things can go wrong. It's a great read, and I highly recommend it!
on October 31, 2015
I purchased this book recently upon the recommendation of another reviewer who suggested starting with Dr. Sacks' books in a chronological order. Not only was Dr. Sacks interested in his patients from an academic point of view (what lesion caused what deficit), but he took great interest in the humanity of his patients as well. This was demonstrated by his, at times, painstaking attempts to help individual patients adapt to their own particular deficit.