Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on July 3, 2016
This book provides us with a concise history of the American family It contrasts the emphasis in the U.S. on the importance and normality of marriage. Yet simultaneously it stresses the factor of choice. If marriages don't work out, then partners should exercise choice, in order to try to attain happiness and satisfaction . This shift from lifetime commitment rather than individual satisfaction beginning over a century ago, has resulted in two central goals of marriage: the strong commitment on getting married, and the equally powerful stress on the need for individual satisfaction in the marriage relationship.
on September 14, 2009
I purchased this book after reading the article on infidelity in Time Magazine where it was cited. I guess I am not accustomed to reading books written by social scientists because he keeps reciting his thesis (and therefore, his conclusions) over and over again, like a mantra. That is my only complaint. Otherwise, well-reasoned, backed by research, with a lot of interesting conclusions, and it explains why so many disparate groups place such value in the institution of marriage in our globalized society. I am glad I read it, and I have recommended it to others.
on December 15, 2015
Classic sociology; worth the read for anyone with academic interest in subject. Won't allocate remote control between spouses.
on January 10, 2017
Highly recommended.
on December 8, 2014
Andrew Cherlin is the top American sociologist of family life. If you want to understand where we are and how we got to where we are this book is very highly recommended.
on August 1, 2014
Interesting and accurate account on the state of marriage in our society including the history of marriage.
on October 25, 2014
Exactly what I needed and came in just in time before I went back to school ! 😃
on May 28, 2015
good book i purchased for school.
on August 20, 2013
The author and I don't see eye to eye on may points that he makes, but that's why I bought the book.
on February 7, 2015
This is a pretty fairly simplistic bad book. Very few new ideas. Everything is about convincing you that in america the fact that people get married -divorced- and get married again is not good for kids. Divorced mothers think that their kids would develop and be happier with a step father that without, this single fact its repeated a thousand times in the book, it is true, but you just need a couple of pages to convince the reader about this. The title is very misleading also, it doesn't contain the word children, which is used more than a thousand times in the book. The book is about children and the effect of marriage-go-round over children.