Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

10,882
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 8,348 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,882 reviews
on December 10, 2015
Most sets only have the 1st 3 books, it's nice this set has all 4 books. However this is NOT a Boxed set . This is a set of 4 books that are shrink wrapped together with a paper wrapper around the ends & back. It is not in a box, so the books are loose when the wrap is removed.
on October 15, 2016
I just couldn't get through this book. I LOVED the Maze Runner series and couldn't wait to get started on this one, but after struggling through the first 100 pages, I gave up. It's not that the book is badly written or that the story is bad. It's just that I picked this up expecting it to shed some light on the events in the Maze Runner trilogy and the only elements it has in common to those books are the Flare and the Cranks. None of the characters from TMR are in it. After I realized this, I lost interest. That being said, I can't wait to read "The Fever Code" which is the REAL Maze Runner prequel that just came out! This wouldn't be a bad read if you went into it not expecting anything from it, but if you're looking for an extension of the Maze Runner trilogy, don't waste your time.
on June 6, 2017
I got this book shortly after having watched the first film. The movie really drew me in and I had to have it. Now, altogether, I think I like the film much better than the book, but the novel has its merits too without a doubt.

I see a lot of reviews talking about how the characters were without personality, boring, unreadable, flat. In some ways I do understand the frustration. At times it's near impossible to read what is going on exactly, BUT I think I've found purpose to what so many deem madness. I mean, these are kids who woke up in a strange place with no memory of who they are, where they came from. To top it all off, they're trapped in a maze crawling with monsters at night. And no matter how much they try to escape, they can't. They have lived in a place with no idea of what they were, who they were supposed to be, or what they ARE supposed to be now. For me, it would only make sense for a stagnant environment to produce stagnation in the people occupying it. I know that may be reaching a little bit - but it's what has helped me to manage through the book with a peaked interest.

I couldn't put the novel down. Overall, I find the concept of the story good. And despite the blank slates of many characters, they are still fairly likable (except for Alby. Book Alby worked my absolute last nerve. He was a complete 360 from his movie self and I have never hated a character so much so quickly. I disliked him more than Gally >:( ). All in all, the movie made me want to dive directly into The Scorch Trials, so it definitely did something right. Honestly, I think the biggest issue that most people can agree with is the lack of personality in the characters. But in my perspective, I can kind of make it work in my head! I look forward to continuing these books.
on March 29, 2017
The prequel to the Maze Runner is another thriller. We get to explore the back-story about what happened all those years before the Maze. The destruction, the death, the Flare. There are new characters to get to know, and only a very subtle link to those that we all know in the Maze.

The underlying plot centers around two main characters. One, a young guy having to step up in a world that’s gone crazy, and the other, seasoned by a military past. It’s an unlikely duo, but they have a strong bond that has been borne from shared tragedy. There are plenty of desperate times when they both need to make some very hard choices.

I’ve read a lot of dystopian books over the years, they deal with destroyed societies, oppressive governments, dreadful disease, and violence fuelled by desperation. But for some reason this one seemed to click, making me really think about how I would cope if something as extreme as the Flare ever occurred.

The loss of security, the loss of every comfort I take for granted, the loss of family and friends, the loss of knowing that there is always food and water whenever it’s needed. It really did hit me, and I don’t know why this book made that happen. Perhaps it was because much of it was in an urban setting. A place that is so relatable. Walking through the chaotic streets, seeing the crumbling lifestyle in the midst of the ruins of what once provided the security that everyone needed, the loss of that place called home.

Dashner captures the extremes. The nightmarish battles between survival and mistrust, and the final threads of human logic that linger in the shadows of crumbling minds. For me, The Kill Order made me really think about how fragile our society is, and about how easily this could happen – more likely by our own wars and conflict than by a natural event. Once we lose our health, our safety and our compassion, everything crumbles.

IN A NUTSHELL
A lesson on the fragility of society, and a window into the events before the Maze. A gripping read.
on February 5, 2017
REVIEW BY ANNA: Just like everyone, I will admit it took me a while to become interested in this book. It starts with a completely different plot than the previous maze runner books. But after about 1/3 of the way I realized how interesting the story was becoming. The author, James Dashner, is an amazing author in which when he writes stories you never know what's going to happen. Sometimes its because he doesnt let out enough information or background to understand the book which is what I was having trouble with in the beginning, given it is a completely new set of characters in a time before the Glade. But many authors will usually write a plot and the events will lay out in a way you are expecting them to, then when it gets to the climax they go the opposite way you thought they would, yet at the same time you were sort of expecting it. Although books written like this can be very interesting, you kind of already know the layout of it. James Dashner, however, writes in a way where events will go in directions you wouldn't even think of. Instead of going how you expect it should, something you could never even think of occurs which really keeps you on your toes while reading this book (I know I probably didn't explain that well but its the best I can do). The story does start out a little slow but from there on it is an explosion of climaxes and cliffhangers and "what about this?" and "what does this mean?". As for the reason everyone in the reviews are saying they couldn't like this book, yes the story is completely different from what happened in the Glade and there on. It is set about thirteen years before the Glade if I'm not mistaken. Given the time period, it also has different characters. People in the reviews had said that none of tmr protagonists were in it and they couldn't get past maybe 100 pages or so. I'm trying my best not to spoil anything just maybe shine a little hope for those interested in reading but are more persuaded by the negative reviews, everything will tie together in the end. You will understand why this story is important. Most people are expecting a continuation in tmr plot, but I find that this was a great way to explain all the background of WICKED and the Flare and everything that was not given before. Not all, but a lot more than you knew. As I've said before, and many can admit, James Dashner usually does not write a lot of detail in parts of the story for this very reason. To write something no one was expecting and create a story like none other. The reader may want all the information in front of them, but in this case it will unravel itself. If you are a big fan of the maze runner series, you will understand the importance of this book and how truly well written this entire series is.
on March 22, 2017
Hey, I have a soft spot for Apocalyptic YA fiction. The first book started out intriguing, and the sample was enough to convince me to buy. I figured the complete collection was a better deal, why not go all-in? Well, I gotta say, the writing was never great to begin with, but it goes downhill almost as fast as the story does. Characters are all cliches, the setting is literally unbelievable (as in, too unrealistic), and the plotline quickly devolves into deus ex machina and silly tropes. Do NOT buy this until you've read the ENTIRE first book and know what you're getting into. Do not purchase this based on the free sample.
on April 13, 2015
The Kill Order is the first prequel to The Maze Runner series, soon to be followed by The Fever Code. This book takes place 13 years prior to the events of The Maze Runner and, although I have read many reviews that expressed disappointment because of the lack of connection between this book and the trilogy, but there is a connection. It comes at the very beginning and at the very end, but it brings it all together. This provides some excellent backstory to The Maze Runner.

The story takes place long before the Maze and the Glade, even before WICKED came into being. The majority of the story occurs after the sun flares have hit the earth, when groups of people have created new communities and have struggled to survive. The story of the flares and the immediate aftermath is told through memories of the past, giving the reader a taste of the horror and chaos of the time, the struggle to survive not just the flares, but some of humanity's worst.
Most of the story is centered around Mark, Alec, Trina, and Deedee, along with other members of their group. They have struggled, but, with the others, they have created new lives for themselves. Until the day that a government Berg (an aircraft) shows up and begins shooting darts at them, darts that seem to be filled with some kind of poison. Once again, their lives are turned on edge and they are fighting to survive.

This is a book that shows humanity both at its best and at its worst. There is madness and agony, pain and loss. There are those who will do most anything in the name of the greater good, and those that see things differently and fight for their beliefs.

While it is true that the connections to the main series are only in the beginning and the end of the book, I think that the story told in this book sets the stage for The Maze Runner books. It explains so much about how the world came to be as it is in ways that the main series does not. I think it adds a lot to the overall story.

My Recommendation: I read this prior to beginning The Maze Runner and it definitely set the stage for it, although I do think that it could be read after the main series.
on April 28, 2016
This series was "unique' to say the least. I've just recently completed it. The first book started out as such a slow read, not really a book that grabs you from the beginning. It took until almost the end to stir my interest enough to move on to the 2nd book. Then it got better all the way through until the very last "Killzone" book. That one was almost boring most of the way through. I am glad I read the complete series, though as it was enjoyable once I got through the boring parts. It's definitely a different type of book to read, kind of "scary" in parts, but the main characters became very likable and made me want to continue to read through it all.
on April 3, 2016
The Maze Runner series was strong only because the characters were interesting. Those characters are not present in this book. This book adds almost nothing to the backstory behind another tired plot about the world being turned over the teakettle and becoming inhabited by zombies. It's as if he wrote a backstory to the non-story part of the story. If he really wants to make more cash, he could spend a dozen books worth of pages telling the bios of Newt and Thomas and Minho and Gally (not the girls, they were two-dimensional wastes of ink in the first place) or the inside workings of the people who built WICKED. Dr. Page's bio would be an interesting read. Generally, if it's interesting, it will be somewhere other than this book.
on October 16, 2014
I enjoyed this series, but began to get bogged down with the read by the time I got to the third book. As recommended, I read the prequel "The Killzone" first. I'm glad I did; however, it didn't help any in understanding books 1-3. I'm not so sure it even related to the series at all, except to show how the FLARE came about.

I really got into the first book. It was interesting and different from the many other books of this genre. By the time I got halfway through the second book, I was finding myself getting bored with the read. There was a lot of redundancy in stating the same thing over and over by using different types of phrases and words. Okay...I get it, why be repetitive about something that has already been explained and/or presented? It seemed the author used this technique to get as many words as possible into the books to meet a word count quota.

Some of the scenarios were just not believable. For a 17 year old boy to take as much physical punishment as was depicted in this series and still be standing was ridiculas. Constant beatings, getting cut, physical exhaustion and mentally debilitating situations that even an adult in great physical condition wouldn't even be able to contend with. It's like Thomas was this superhuman kid that could regain his energy in just a couple of hours. It just was not realistic, imho.

The author could have done a much better job at explaining more about why things were happening, more clarification as to who WICKED was and expound upon why the tests, variables and blueprints of the mind were needed. How did Commissioner Paige come about? Who was she...really? Why was Rat Man the bad guy? Where did he come from?

Thomas was touted as the "real leader", but he never truly took on a leadership role. Thomas was depicted as one of the geniuses, if not the smartest one, but he was not portrayed that way. I got so tired of the way the author made him out to be a whiner, indecisive, a follower...yet, he was supposed to be this 'last chance hero' that was going to save the world. I won't even get into the mental love fest he had going on between Brend and Teresa. I personally think Minho is the one character that will be remembered the most in this series. That's who Thomas should have been portrayed as.

I was disappointed in the ending. After all everyone went through, fighting for their lives every step of the way, thinking there was going to be a cure, that they were the answer...and then...

I'll leave it at that. We'll all wait 3-4 years now for all the movie episodes to come out.