Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

10,898
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 8,361 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,898 reviews
on January 12, 2015
Loved the idea, then hated the execution. The main issues for me where the only female character being completely redundant and for some unknown reason, in a coma for 60% of the book. My interest waned along with my enthusiasm. When it started to pick up I still found the whole mystery too mysterious. The female character was flat and the premise, that held so much promise, took me on a journey I didn't want to go on.
Thomas's thoughts are repetitive, including the over 10 times he says he wants to be a runner, he also panics every second page in one form or another.
I don't understand why the boys didn't fight the grievers and devise clever ways to escape. I didn't like any of the characters and I found the dialogue just as dry, there was a sense of disconnect. There were so many things that irked me, not least of which was the "swearing", cutesy words made up to replace real curse words. I wanted Thomas to be a maze runner, and he became one (like I knew he would) but at the same time he never really did take me on the adventure I had hoped for, inside it. It didn't do it for me, I wanted it to. Really wanted it to. Procrastinating boys, I didnt think it worked.
on October 26, 2016
First I would like to say I love James Dashner and the maze runner series. This specific entry into the series was not my favorite, although it did keep me glued to the pages and wanting more. The things that bothered me the most were the repetition of the conflict scenes between the multiple antagonist and the main character. It was the exact same to many times. In fact I believe even the character mentions "this is happening again?" many times. Still 3 stars though cause I like the story of how the things in maze runner came to be. For real fans of series only IMO
on November 2, 2014
My review is of the The Maze Runner Series Complete Collection. This includes the following titles: The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure and The Kill Order.

Notes: Amazon's method of delivering this omnibus type bundles is somewhat poor. All the books are delivered as one eBook. It would be awesome if you got individual files for each title in a bundle.

Back to the books:

The Maze Runner: This book is awesome and done really well. The book starts as a big mystery and just continues. The story is full of memorable characters and has a fantastic setting unlike anything I've ever experienced in a book. I flew through this book and loved every minute of it. The ending was awesome (read the epilogue).

The Scorch Trials: This book started right were Maze Runner left off but it quickly dies off and becomes quite stale. I strongly feel this is the weakest book in the entire series. The storytelling becomes fairly stale, and the characters who were riveting in the first book become rather stale. The least imaginative setting is used and the series essentially devolves into a run of the mill zombie movie. To be perfectly honest everything about this book screams laziness on the author's part. It was purely off the strength of the first book that I managed through this book.

The Death Cure: The book starts off slow, but gets going. Up to a quarter way into the 3rd book I was concerned we were going to experience the same laziness seen in The Scorch Trials. At the 1/4 mark the book improves immensely and the author gets back to doing what works, creating a great atmosphere and refocusing on character development. There are a few big moments that don't resonate as they should because core characters in the series are relegated to the background in favor of an extremely lame romantic triangle we are forced to suffer through. The final quarter of the book was awesome. But overall the trilogy is brought to a satisfying close.

The Kill Order: I like this book. This is a prequel that is somewhat hastily tied to the rest of the series. This brings us a new set of characters and I can honestly say I really liked this story. It's fresh enough to feel like something completely different from the rest of the series in a good way. And maybe it was because this was a new set of characters, the author was forced to develop them. I love the characters in this book. Their adventures and fight for survival was a fun experience to read through. This book does suffer from another romance being shoehorned into the narrative but it's not as lazily done as the previous books. But the story was a good read that kept me entertained and it introduced me to some cool characters.

In short, this series is bookended by two very different books that both tell a great story. The series grows a little stale during the second book, but regains it's traction a quarter way into the third book. Overall, I'm very glad I read the entire series and even at it's lowest points the series is full of page-turning suspense. I look forward to reading more from the author.
on January 1, 2015
The beginning of this book had so much promise - I was excited about another awesome book in the same genre as "Ender's Game" and "The Hunger Games" and was not disappointed until about half way through the first book. I kept reading all three books, hoping against hope that eventually the plot would solidify and come together but, it never really did. About 3/4 of the sum total of all three books could have been deleted to tell the exact same story. The first book starts with a good premise but quickly loses it's way. Two stars are because I did enjoy the first half of the first book so much.
on January 30, 2015
What a great read. I loved the craziness of this world. I mean mazes, walls that move, monsters called grievers, runners trying to solve the maze, not remembering anything, the changings. I was just in awe, I was so into it. I liked the writing style, it was easy, good flow, wasn't confusing. Although everything that happens was pretty much a mystery to me, you get all your questions answered little by little, in the best of ways in my opinion. I enjoyed the concept of how they all have built a community, groups for different jobs, everything in order, so that it all functions and no chaos ensues. I loved Thomas and Chuck, they were my favorites characters, especially Chuck. He was like a little brother to Thomas and I loved that he helped him so much through the entire story no matter what. I also liked Minho, Newt and Theresa. The only reason I knocked a little off my rating was that the characters weren't as developed as much, I didn't know that much about them. But it makes sense since none of them remembered anything about themselves. But I'm hoping we get more development as the series continues. I just love how amazing this adventure was. I even enjoyed the movie, although some things were different from the book, it was still amazing. It brought to life the whole maze, and even the grievers which were close to how I had imagined them. I have already purchased The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, & The Kill Order and will be reading them soon. Excited and hoping for a good ending.... Crosses fingers.
on July 3, 2016
The story of Thomas and the other teenagers living inside the mysterious maze and trying to find a way out was filled with lots of action and mystery.

Unfortunately for me, as a fan of clever mystery and action, it was fairly predictable and the character development was shallow. Also, unless you are a fan of books with a lot of specialized slang, you will likely find the dialogue in the first few chapters to be extremely tedious.

In all fairness I have been sucked in enough to get the second book on kindle, but I was not as impressed as I hoped I would be by this tale. My choice to get the second book is based almost wholly on the last two chapter and the epilogue.

Quick read filled with action.
on December 16, 2016
The Maze Runner is one of those books that caught my attention from the first few pages. I'm not an avid book reader, but always enjoyed post-apocalyptic novels when I had more time or more motivation to read a book for pleasure. I saw the first two movies in this series and in conjunction with good reviews, decided to get the book as well. It was a great decision, and a book you will eat through relatively quickly. The writing style is one I would almost identify with, as it isn't a diary format or overly formal like many books I've seen nowadays. There are enough descriptions to allow you to build the maze and predicament and supplement it with your own ideas.
on October 24, 2015
I enjoyed this book series alot. It was a good read and one that I will likely read again before the last movie comes out. Some things could of been a bit better. I didn't care much for the last book but as a whole it's worth the read. If you have watched the movies and looking for more info on wicked and the trials and considering the books I would say go for it! A small warning about the second book. While it does carry some elements of the second movie they are largely different. The movie seems to be writing a bit of its own story so don't expect to read what you saw. Similar elements but different.
on January 11, 2015
I really enjoyed this book! I tried reading the Maze Runner in 2009, but it didn't "hit" with me, so I deleted it from my iPad (I'd bought the book). After seeing the movie with my mom I decided to buy the paperback, since I'm not really into my Kindle Paperwhite anymore.

One thing I can say about this book is that the world building is amazing. You get a very nice feel for the glade and the maze. I could imagine the towering stone walls, along with the smells. Characterization is moderate at best. The only character I felt like I knew was Chuck and Newt; everyone else was a stranger.

This book is not thought provoking and isn't for those looking for deeper meaning. it's a fun read, with a great story and fun characters. Thomas was super annoying at first, but overtime he matured.

One of the best things about this book are the plot twists, the plot in general and the general mystery of WICKED. I'm really excited to buy the next book and see what happens next!

I HIGHLY recommend this book!
on October 20, 2014
If you haven't tired of young adults in peril in dystopian worlds, then James Dashner's The Maze Runner may be worth your attention. The book is packed full of action and fast paced turn of events that keep the pages turning. The Maze Runner definitely suffers from characters who are seemingly erratic and inconsistent in their emotional reactions to the events that unfold, and while I'd like to contribute this to the life threatening situations that arise (and hormones), I really felt this issue was embedded in the writing and wasn't true to the characters.

Despite some of these character attribute shortcomings, I was immediately drawn into the plot of the story. I wrote a full review of the first story here: http://bit.ly/YfcyYd

The Scorch Trials lacked the heart of the first book and The Death Cure was underwhelming in terms of a conclusion. I couldn't bring myself to read the prequel because I was exhausted by the series at the end. There is so much action, horror and defeat that I needed a break, and plus - I didn't want to deviate from the characters I already knew.