Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 6,972 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9,158 reviews
on December 10, 2015
Most sets only have the 1st 3 books, it's nice this set has all 4 books. However this is NOT a Boxed set . This is a set of 4 books that are shrink wrapped together with a paper wrapper around the ends & back. It is not in a box, so the books are loose when the wrap is removed.
VINE VOICEon September 3, 2015
I ended up watching the movie first which piqued my interested to read the book. After finishing the book I realized both the book and the movie are completely standalone and barely the same, there are some similarities between the two but not very many. But I enjoyed both of them for different reason, but I think I liked the movie more. The book was slow and it was hard to keep me interested and the dialogue also wasn't my favorite.

Even though it was slow, I wanted to finish it to see how much different it would be from the movie...what would be changed. And a lot was. The book bothered me a lot because the author would write something like and this is where the good part was... or And then it really started to come together. But as I read it, I didn't feel that way and I was waiting for what the good part actually was when it didn't come.

The dialogue bothered me because everyone sounded the same, even Thomas a couple hours in started to say their slang like he was saying it all this life even though he didn't know what it meant. The only one that sounded a little different was Newt with his bugger.

Overall it was just okay, it only kept me into it at the very end when they began to escape other than that it was blah and didn't keep my attention. Took me way longer than I thought to read it.
on October 16, 2014
I enjoyed this series, but began to get bogged down with the read by the time I got to the third book. As recommended, I read the prequel "The Killzone" first. I'm glad I did; however, it didn't help any in understanding books 1-3. I'm not so sure it even related to the series at all, except to show how the FLARE came about.

I really got into the first book. It was interesting and different from the many other books of this genre. By the time I got halfway through the second book, I was finding myself getting bored with the read. There was a lot of redundancy in stating the same thing over and over by using different types of phrases and words. Okay...I get it, why be repetitive about something that has already been explained and/or presented? It seemed the author used this technique to get as many words as possible into the books to meet a word count quota.

Some of the scenarios were just not believable. For a 17 year old boy to take as much physical punishment as was depicted in this series and still be standing was ridiculas. Constant beatings, getting cut, physical exhaustion and mentally debilitating situations that even an adult in great physical condition wouldn't even be able to contend with. It's like Thomas was this superhuman kid that could regain his energy in just a couple of hours. It just was not realistic, imho.

The author could have done a much better job at explaining more about why things were happening, more clarification as to who WICKED was and expound upon why the tests, variables and blueprints of the mind were needed. How did Commissioner Paige come about? Who was she...really? Why was Rat Man the bad guy? Where did he come from?

Thomas was touted as the "real leader", but he never truly took on a leadership role. Thomas was depicted as one of the geniuses, if not the smartest one, but he was not portrayed that way. I got so tired of the way the author made him out to be a whiner, indecisive, a follower...yet, he was supposed to be this 'last chance hero' that was going to save the world. I won't even get into the mental love fest he had going on between Brend and Teresa. I personally think Minho is the one character that will be remembered the most in this series. That's who Thomas should have been portrayed as.

I was disappointed in the ending. After all everyone went through, fighting for their lives every step of the way, thinking there was going to be a cure, that they were the answer...and then...

I'll leave it at that. We'll all wait 3-4 years now for all the movie episodes to come out.
VINE VOICEon August 11, 2014
Imagine a story where the author has a small secret to tell, and it's so small he can't reveal any clues at all about it because you'll figure it all out, so he creates this book where NO ONE EVER ANSWERS A SINGLE STUPID QUESTION! Welcome to "The Maze Runner".

Dashner starts the book out with a fairly cool scenario. Unfortunately, he immediately falls into this maddening habit of never answering a single question from any character with a straight answer. I'm not talking rhetorical questions here...I'm talking ANY question. EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION goes along these lines:

"What does that mean?"
"You'll find out."

And that's how it goes. I started actually keeping track of it halfway through the book as sort of a game and found that on average SEVEN out of every TEN questions were answered with a "You'll find out" variation answer. Rather than take five minutes to explain the situation to Thomas (the main character), EVERYONE in the story just gives him a "You'll find out" answer...and then gets mad because he keeps asking questions! It's as if Dashner realizes he has this very minor plot laid out and knows the only way to keep the reader hooked is to constantly offer answers someday, without ever giving them. And to top it off, as Thomas starts getting ideas, he does the same thing to the other characters...not in a spiteful kind of way, but simply because that's how the author writes.

It's one thing to have a mystery unfold with the reader following the main character. It's another thing altogether to purposefully not give any answers because you have no confidence in your plot. This book is a lot like shuffling through a diamond-peppered poop. Every once in a while you see a gem and keep going, though most of what you're sorting through stinks.
on April 28, 2016
This series was "unique' to say the least. I've just recently completed it. The first book started out as such a slow read, not really a book that grabs you from the beginning. It took until almost the end to stir my interest enough to move on to the 2nd book. Then it got better all the way through until the very last "Killzone" book. That one was almost boring most of the way through. I am glad I read the complete series, though as it was enjoyable once I got through the boring parts. It's definitely a different type of book to read, kind of "scary" in parts, but the main characters became very likable and made me want to continue to read through it all.
on January 12, 2015
Loved the idea, then hated the execution. The main issues for me where the only female character being completely redundant and for some unknown reason, in a coma for 60% of the book. My interest waned along with my enthusiasm. When it started to pick up I still found the whole mystery too mysterious. The female character was flat and the premise, that held so much promise, took me on a journey I didn't want to go on.
Thomas's thoughts are repetitive, including the over 10 times he says he wants to be a runner, he also panics every second page in one form or another.
I don't understand why the boys didn't fight the grievers and devise clever ways to escape. I didn't like any of the characters and I found the dialogue just as dry, there was a sense of disconnect. There were so many things that irked me, not least of which was the "swearing", cutesy words made up to replace real curse words. I wanted Thomas to be a maze runner, and he became one (like I knew he would) but at the same time he never really did take me on the adventure I had hoped for, inside it. It didn't do it for me, I wanted it to. Really wanted it to. Procrastinating boys, I didnt think it worked.
on January 1, 2015
The beginning of this book had so much promise - I was excited about another awesome book in the same genre as "Ender's Game" and "The Hunger Games" and was not disappointed until about half way through the first book. I kept reading all three books, hoping against hope that eventually the plot would solidify and come together but, it never really did. About 3/4 of the sum total of all three books could have been deleted to tell the exact same story. The first book starts with a good premise but quickly loses it's way. Two stars are because I did enjoy the first half of the first book so much.
on March 22, 2017
Hey, I have a soft spot for Apocalyptic YA fiction. The first book started out intriguing, and the sample was enough to convince me to buy. I figured the complete collection was a better deal, why not go all-in? Well, I gotta say, the writing was never great to begin with, but it goes downhill almost as fast as the story does. Characters are all cliches, the setting is literally unbelievable (as in, too unrealistic), and the plotline quickly devolves into deus ex machina and silly tropes. Do NOT buy this until you've read the ENTIRE first book and know what you're getting into. Do not purchase this based on the free sample.
on July 3, 2016
such an excellent cautionary tale. the lives of hundreds of young people are imperiled. they have been placed in mortal danger, in stressful situations that would overwhelm the strongest adult and things are still going to get worse. every time Thomas and his friends meet adults, something more damaging happens to them. they are lied to, starved, and tortured. and told it is in the name of a cure for a worldwide disease.

of course, it makes no difference if none of them survive.

while this is a story of survival in a post-apocalyptic world, it serves superbly as a warning of what could happen if we let our humanity fade away in a crisis. the stories are excellently well written and thoroughly enjoyable
on January 22, 2015
These aren't the greatest, most gripping novels I've ever read. But, the story and characters are interesting enough, and well-enough written, that I keep coming back for more. Following the struggle of Thomas and his Glader pals through the trials of WICKED has been an enjoyable experience from the observer's standpoint, with each trial seeming as insurmountable as the first. You find yourself really rooting for them, turning the page with anticipation to see how they are going to make it out of this one. It's definitely a young-adult level of writing, but there is some really beautiful imagery and writing at certain points that serves to placate me and keep me going.

From a practical standpoint, I like that the series to date is contained within this collection, making it a great deal. The Table of Contents easily breaks it up per book, which I like, though I wish that the kindle version had page numbers, as opposed to locator numbers. The only real way to track progress is through percentage completed with the whole series, as opposed to each individual work. It's not the end of the world, though.