Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

11,238
The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 15, 2015
A series of teenager against the world stories and situations. Literally. In a very wicked world, pardon the pun, the characters have to find answers to a series of senseless and crazed experiments. Characters are unable to mature and form alliances ("patterns" in Maze-speak) that result in life and not death. The one attempt to provide a happy ending takes the human race from a possible survival rate of millions down to 200 individuals - a number less than half the accepted estimate for a sustainable population. The prequel turns survivors of a natural holocaust into lab rats and the humanity of a child is sacrificed in one line, "use her." The author knows how to bridge between chapters at a moment of tension, which is good. His view of mankind destroying both civilization and children not so good.
on April 17, 2015
This is an excellent series, whether in book form, or at the theater. Plenty of action, Personalities are very well worked out. The reader can easily identify with the characters. The only reason I stopped at four stars is because I did not like the ending. It was well written, but there was one thing I would have changed if I was the author. No spoiler intended here. There were some changes from the book in the second movie. Maybe there will be just that one change in the last movie. Regardless, I will read this series again, and will also watch the movie series again. Very good read.
on August 27, 2014
I, like many others, decided to bump up this book on my list in preparation for the movie coming out. It's a nice change as it feels like with The Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight, etc... there has been a trend towards young adult novels-turned-movies that cater towards girls. The story definitely had me engaged and I wanted to what the hell was going on. There were a few places that I felt the "discoveries" were a bit too predictable, which is why I didn't give it the full 5 stars, but in the end I'm absolutely going to keep reading. Lucky for me, there are 3 more books already out in this series and I'll be moving on to them now.
on May 4, 2015
I want to start off by saying that I enjoyed this book a lot. I loved the story; it reminded me a little of a cross between Hunger Games and The Long Walk (by Stephen King) with a completely different sci-fi twist. What is great about the concept and how it was delivered is that it is highly intriguing and makes you want to just keep reading and try to unravel on your own what is going on before the characters do. I can best explain my feelings while reading it as I was reading a sci-fi story that I was also making into a detective story in my mind. And it definitely left me hanging enough to want to continue reading the series so all the pieces of the puzzle can come together so I can get the big picture of what is going on. I also was able to get a good idea of the settings (Maze, Glade) from the description that was given, which is important to me because I like to get good mental images while reading. Maybe I enjoyed the story so much because I have always been a big fan of sci-fi and if you aren’t into sci-fi you may not enjoy it as much. But I can honestly say it was a fun read for me.

Now for the bad. I feel like this book was rather simply written. It felt like Dashner’s choice of language could be novice at times and his description of peoples’ moods and the way he expressed their emotions was pretty basic (E.g. “He said in an excited manner” “He said absently”) and the made up slang used by the Gladers really did get on my nerves at times. Also, there was very little character development. By the end of the book I didn’t feel like I really knew and of the characters. I even had a hard time being sympathetic towards them at times when they were going through something tragic because I wasn’t emotionally attached to them at all. I also feel like the timing in the book was off. Gladers had been in maze for years working on it and someone new shows up and a few days later everything is solved. I get that Thomas had some connection but I also feel like the revelation was too fast and slightly anti-climactic. As far as the Grievers, I know a lot of people were unhappy with them but I am intrigued. I am holding out hope that they will be in the other books and that they will be explained more and actually have an interesting back-story.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. It is good for a quick read and not too intense in terms of making you overthink things or have to re-read passages. The story is interesting and moves quickly and the mystery behind everything makes you want to keep reading. I wish you could give half stars because I would give this book a 3.5. If I were judging on story concept alone I may give it a four but the problem I keep coming back to is the characters. I am the type of reader who loves to be pulled into the characters’ lives. I want to feel their emotions and I want to miss them when they are gone. For that reason I decided to go with three stars. I am holding out hope that the next two books improve in that aspect and the storyline continues to be good.
on March 23, 2015
This was a fantastic series. As someone who doesn't read much, Dashner kept the pages turning! After reading some reviews, it seemed as though many did not like the way the series ended. I however, enjoyed the entire series and also liked the final book. If you are someone who doesn't typically enjoy reading, and/or saw the movie, maybe give this a try. I do not like books that spend a great deal of time with flowery language, not moving the story along. With the Maze Runner Series, literally every chapter has something going on that continues the story.
on October 26, 2017
I gave this prequel three stars. It would have gotten four but I was not a fan of all the fight scenes. They seemed very lengthy and repetitious to me. But the story painted a very vivid picture of what happened to the world that became the setting for the Maze runner trilogy. It answered many questions and filled in a lot of blanks. I would recommend this book to anyone who has invested the time to read the previous trilogy.
on August 3, 2014
Excellent story. You need to understand going in that this is a prequel only in terms of being set in the environment that led to the Maze Runner trilogy. The characters from the trilogy are not part of this book with one slight exception, revealed at the end of the book. If you get that, you will enjoy the book. It has the same attention to characters, sense of loyalty, action and mystery from the trilogy. You will come to love the new characters and root for them as they give their all for their fellow man. I would buy a second 'prequel' if it involved these new characters. The environment is there. Why not use it?
on October 22, 2014
I don't know about anyone else, but the Maze Runner was the least intriguing of all the books. The characters didn't make me care about them but I read it and wanted to get answers at the end mostly. Well, by the time I'd finished The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure, my first impression was long gone. Each book itsnt stand alone, but needs the next, which is perfectly fine. A great read for teens, young adults, and adults, and this series comes with a prequel story to the Thomas adventure which... YOU MUST READ if you want to better understand what's going on in the world of the books.
on March 16, 2016
The strange language they used in this book got on my nerves like chalk squeaking on a chalk board. The author substituted made up curse words instead of using real ones. Why use any expletives? The characters were all children / teenagers / young adults. I did notice these goofy words were left out of the movie, which I had to watch after reading the book. I probably would have rated the book 4 stars without them.
on January 13, 2016
This was a gift for my son for Christmas. He originally wanted to order it from the book fair but as always, I wanted to check Amazon and but of course the price is much better here!!! So glad I ordered the series. He's really enjoying the 1st book thus far!! Books are catching the eye and good quality.