Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

11,252
The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 7, 2017
This series started out great and then the end of the first book it started to slide off the precipice. By the end of the second it was in free fall and the entire third was the splat on the ground. There is so much potential in the prequel that is wasted on “action” sequences, which were not well written, redundant, and frankly boring, that I skimmed most of it pissed off that I was wasting my time on this dribble. The worst part is it could have been good.
on May 4, 2015
my daughter read book 1 and got hooked! we HAD to buy the set!! she cannot wait to see the other movies! she was soooo hooked - she read until way past her bedtime (much to my disappointment but I couldn't stop her and was glad she was reading...), she read in the car, on the way to school - she was hooked. I think she feels the first 2 are the best. she is so into the characters and got so excited each time something big happened - she would run and tell me. if you have a teen - GET THIS!! well worth the price! you will have books set for a while too - so less running to the bookstore! way to go james dashner!!
on September 16, 2014
After reading many reviews I re posted this. This book does have a Maze Runner character in it (so many posts on Amazon says it doesn't, which isn't true), and you have to use your mind to see where he went with this. Let's remember Dashner explained where Thomas came from through flash backs and dreams throughout the 3 book series, and he didn't explain where other important characters came from. If you use your mind you can figure out he is doing the same in this book through the story of new chacters.

I loved this series!! Part of me hopes James writes more books pre Maze Runner and post Death Cure. This book starts with Teresa watching Thomas go through i believe it's called "the Swipe" before the maze. Then it starts out 13 years later. It kind of started slow for me, but then it got exciting. I think we all knew when buying this book it was going to explain the solar flares and flare disease (I thought the disease started through a lab exploding, which bored me, but it didn't, and the way the disease started is crazy!!). While doing so it brings you close to the new characters. For the first 20% of the book I was frustrated that it wasn't going to tie into WICKED and the 3 Maze runner books at all, then I got a hunch of where it was going through a specific character. The end of the book validated my thought.

Like i said I loved it. Dashner did a gret job using flash backs in dreams in all his books to have the reader learn how people got to where they were all while making you feel an attachment to the characters. Loved it!!
on July 29, 2015
It was a fun book to read at first, but then it got boring and repetitive with all the fighting. I started skimming over paragraphs every time someone jumped out and tackled another character to the ground. I was also disappointed the story didn't connect more to Thomas and others in the rest of the Maze Runner series. I was hoping to get a better understanding of who Thomas was pre-Maze, and why he made the decisions he did to enter the maze
on May 19, 2016
I really enjoyed this series. I actually became interested in it because of the movies, and the books are much, much better than the movies in my opinion. Aftering read the books I really don't understand why the 2nd movie deviated so much from such an interesting and original plot in favor of becoming more of a generic, cliche zombie flick. Nice, easy, and enjoyable read. Apart from some character developments in the 3rd book that I couldn't suspend my disbelief for, it was a great series.
on August 28, 2017
This is definitely a young adult book, it's like watching a movie with all the bad words edited for tv. I thought the made up "bad" words were funny. I've seen the movie, and like most movies there are a lot of changes that were made. The story was entertaining, keeps you wondering what is going to happen. The writing style is ok, not great, but that seems to be a normal thing with YA novels. They avoid big words and deep symbolism, maybe they think the readers will lose interest if it's not simplified. I wish they would allow half stars for review on the app, I would give this 3.5. It's good compared to other YA novels, so I rounded up to 4.
on May 4, 2015
The world before the flares is hard to imagine: a world where people were normal, you could go outside with dying from sun poisoning, and it was safe to be in public. The world that everyone lives in today is something we all take for granted. Teresa and Thomas lived in the world after all of this, so it was hard for them to remember what it was like before. They lived in a world where they’d been “left with only whatever they had that hadn’t fried” in the sun flares (Dashner 49). In The Kill Order, the author, James Dashner, tells of a unique look at the past before everything happened. He travels into the minds of his characters to explain how the world became as messed up as it is in his other installments of the Maze Runner series, and in doing so creates a fantastic story.
Running through the tests and the variables has been a normal chain of events in the past three books Dashner wrote, but now the story comes full circle and explains how Teresa and Thomas were separated and how the two ever got to WICKED’s labs in the first place. Using the new characters Mark, Alec, and Trina, Dashner explained the cause of the outbreak (which we learned in the third book of the series) and how these new characters tried to stop it. Using the unique perspective that Dashner did, he could explain in depth how the series came to be. With different characters, it really made the story even more exciting and proved to show that even though the original characters weren’t a huge part of the story, it could still be more than enjoyable. In the end, the story formed a complete circle; it left in a great place and allowed us to fully understand the mysteries of the WICKED.
on August 3, 2014
Maze Runner was by far the best book out of the entire series. The following books went into darker territory that wasn't what I expected but still they were ok. I had high hopes for this prequel to answer questions and give us a look into the world that led up to Maze Runner. But it took forever for me to get through the book because it was very slow until the middle of the book. Then it made no real and concrete connection between the group we were following through the entire book to Thomas who was only mentioned at the beginning of the book and in the epilogue. When I finally finished the book, I was just perplexed to what this added to the series at all? It was a disappointing book from start to finish.

I recommend that you save your money and skip this prequel that does not enhance the series whatsoever.
on November 13, 2014
It's rare to for me to say the movie was better then the book. But the movie was better then the book. I'm still on the first book and it's hard to get into it. I may get to see the rest of the movies before I finish this series. And I'm the type of person who will sit down and read a book in a few days. It takes to long to develop these characters. And frankly they are really not that likable.
on September 21, 2015
As a book, The Maze Runner ends up a mixed bag. It's an intriguing story that ends on a cliff-hanger with very little reveal; I'm writing this review after reading Book 2: The Scorch Trials, and (SPOILER ALERT) there still isn't much backstory revealed at the end of Book 2. In some ways, the books are a frustrating read. There's plenty of action with an original idea: A group of boys (and one girl) living in a community (the Glade) surrounded by a maze that shifts from day to day, with doors that close at night as man-made monsters (Grievers) crawl through the corridors and prey on any Gladers caught outside the doors. None of them has any memory of life before the Glade. Who put them there, and for what purpose?

As I say, the premise is intriguing and it hooked me. The story moves quickly enough; it skimps a bit on character development, but this is a series; we can expect characters to be fleshed out later. The problem is the execution. Dashner has a tendency to throw in a sentence that looks back at the last sentence and simply rewrites it (think of it as a "yeah, what he said" sentence). Paragraphs end up saying less than they could have said with some tighter editing. I found myself skimming through portions (something I rarely do) because, well, I wasn't really missing anything new. And, frankly, by the end of the second book, I think I ought to know far more of what's really going on than the book gives. I've put in the effort; I want the payoff.

The YA dystopian category has some books that will be classics (The Hunger Games trilogy) and some that will make their authors money. I don't expect The Maze Runner to be one of the classics, but time will tell. That said, I think there's a place for the series as an undemanding thriller for those times when you want nothing more than that.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse