Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

11,238
The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 5, 2014
This is a good sci-fi series that draws you in right from the start. Thirty teenage boys trapped in the center of a maze, with no idea as to where they are or why. Worst of all, none of the boys have any memories of their life before they got there. Things begin to change dramatically when the last two teenagers arrive, Thomas and Teresa (the only girl!).

I downloaded the complete collection and read all the books at once. Each book picks up right where the last one left off, so there is not much repetition when you read one right after the next. I definitely thought the first book (The Maze Runner) was the most enjoyable. While there was plenty of action, the characters seemed to do the most thinking in this book. The pacing was pretty good, revealing little bits at a time--enough that you felt it was moving and that there'd be some resolution at the end of it.

The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure shed more light on the mystery of the maze, as well as what life is like in the real world. Dashner did a great job creating a really creepy and scary feeling of life outside of the maze, making some characters almost wish they were back there. There were a lot of very suspenseful scenes, however, I thought there was too much action. It seemed they just kept running from one fight to the next and it got tiresome. I know this book is really targeted to a younger audience, so that might not be a problem for them.

The fourth book was not what I expected at all. I was hoping for more of the story of Thomas and Teresa before the maze. The Kill Order, however, is set several years before Thomas and Teresa ever enter the picture. Instead, it describes how the world got to the state it did. Again I thought there was too much running around and not enough information on why things happened. I don't want to give anything away, but I felt the motivation of those in charge left me with many questions.

I would recommend to anyone who likes sci-fi with a lot of action.
22 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2015
Dashner writes in a format that is simple and enjoyable for readers of any reading level. Maze runner and it's sequels paint a disturbing yet frighteningly believable view of the future. While he uses devices and imagery that is outlandish at times, the over all crux of the story will resonate with the darkest fears about humanity and the powers that be. With seeming ease, he leads you down obvious paths only to stun you with the unexpected. Death cure brings you face to face with a gut wretching reality, only to lead you through the dark to that tiny place we keep inside ourselves that we call hope. A fanatically dark dystopian series that echoes the internal hope that despite our races failings, in the end we can redeem our future, if even for the few. Hope prevails until the last human vanishes from this planet.
on April 29, 2016
Loved this book series. I am the type of person who likes to follow along with audio book with physical book in hand ... Relatively quick series read and full of very suspenseful moments.... My favorite book out the series is the Prequel, Kill Order, but dont you dare read that book first ... you absolutely have to read the other three books first then read the Kill Order Prequel...

The only disappoint I have, which doesnt pertain to the book more so than the movie... Movie #2 The Scorch Trials has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the book .... some books to movies stray off the path of in the movie... this not the case and in fact the book of Scorch Trials was WAAAAY more interesting and suspenseful and made a lot more sense.
on May 11, 2017
Many will compare this to the Hunger games or Divergent but I think this series has a lot of its own merit and does a lot of things different from those two series. In a lot of ways the only two similarities is that they are post apocalyptic. That being said if you liked those serious you will love this one. I bought this for my son and he burned through them in a week. I read them after him and for what they are they were very enjoyable.
on December 1, 2012
This novel is the prequel to the amazing Maze Runner series. I was a bit unsatisfied with it although that's not to say it wasn't a good book. First while this may be the prequel to the series, we see little of the original series in here. We're introduced to a new set of characters in the world right before all of the events of the Maze Runner series occurs. Mark is a brave character who is just trying to survive the world after the sun flares. Trina is just as strong as Mark in certain aspects but she also relies on him a lot to help her survive. This story centers around these two characters and their experience as the world goes from tragedy to madness. It's interesting to see how the virus comes to be although there are still quite a few unanswered questions. There is a lot of action and the story is very fast-paced so there is no lack of excitement. However, it really isn't what was expected for a prequel and really doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion. I would recommend you give this book a shot if you've read the Maze Runner series just to get the complete story. If you haven't read the Maze Runner Series you can read this book first then pick up the rest.
on March 7, 2015
I don't remember when I've been as disappointed by a novel. This alleged prequel devotes a couple of paragraphs at the very end to tie things in with the characters we've learned to love and care about and fear for and the situations we all went through with them in the excellent Maze trilogy. All that background and explanation we'd been craving and expecting and looking forward to in the prequel are presented in a perfunctory and terse manner at the end, after making us suffer, I might add, through an endless series of grotesque, violent and grueling --and really rather unbelievable-- battles fought by an entirely new cast of hastily sketched characters we actually don't care very much about. Where is Thomas in all this? What of the others? What a downer.
on October 7, 2017
This series started out great and then the end of the first book it started to slide off the precipice. By the end of the second it was in free fall and the entire third was the splat on the ground. There is so much potential in the prequel that is wasted on “action” sequences, which were not well written, redundant, and frankly boring, that I skimmed most of it pissed off that I was wasting my time on this dribble. The worst part is it could have been good.
on July 16, 2017
This series is AMAZING. I charged through all the books in record speed because it is so thrilling. It pulls you in and throws you in the mix with no hesitation. James Dashner is a very talented writer and I am excited to start reading some of his other books. Highly recommend for anyone who is looking for a fast paced story and great character development and mysteries around every corner.
on January 25, 2015
(Contains Spoilers)

I imagine that if one would want to release a man-made virus into the world in order to control the population it would not be one that turns the world into zombies, takes a LONG time to kill the infected (if it ever does?), and HAS NO CURE. It is also sad to me that the author's future view of science is torturing children and then never actually explaining how that helps in the creation of a cure. The author uses words like "variables" and "blueprints" but never explains how these things are created by the trials the characters are put through or how they will lead to a cure.

So after watching the movie (which I enjoyed) I thought "this is a really interesting idea, I wonder where the author is going to go with this." So I ordered the series and read the next 2 books (The Scorch Trials and Death Cure) just to find out what happens next. What a let down in character and plausible plot development. I was so bored by the repetitive writing style that towards the end I just started only reading quotes. It was almost as though the books were written to become movies. Two stars instead of one because I did end up reading 2 more of the books hoping beyond hope that some interesting plot development would happen.
on October 12, 2014
My husband and I had just seen the movie so I was anxious to read what I missed and ran straight to Amazon. There are four books in this series. Book number one was ever so much better than the movie in that it gave so much background - but I also missed some of the literary license the movie took in telling the story. Book number two takes you through twists and turns so much so that you feel you've read two books. Book three seems to conclude the story satisfyingly enough that you wonder what could possibly follow it. The last book threw me because the tone is so different it didn't seem to belong. It isn't until the end that it becomes clear that it is indeed the "closure" I was looking for. All in all a great collection.