Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

11,207
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 8,619 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,207 reviews
on January 30, 2015
What a great read. I loved the craziness of this world. I mean mazes, walls that move, monsters called grievers, runners trying to solve the maze, not remembering anything, the changings. I was just in awe, I was so into it. I liked the writing style, it was easy, good flow, wasn't confusing. Although everything that happens was pretty much a mystery to me, you get all your questions answered little by little, in the best of ways in my opinion. I enjoyed the concept of how they all have built a community, groups for different jobs, everything in order, so that it all functions and no chaos ensues. I loved Thomas and Chuck, they were my favorites characters, especially Chuck. He was like a little brother to Thomas and I loved that he helped him so much through the entire story no matter what. I also liked Minho, Newt and Theresa. The only reason I knocked a little off my rating was that the characters weren't as developed as much, I didn't know that much about them. But it makes sense since none of them remembered anything about themselves. But I'm hoping we get more development as the series continues. I just love how amazing this adventure was. I even enjoyed the movie, although some things were different from the book, it was still amazing. It brought to life the whole maze, and even the grievers which were close to how I had imagined them. I have already purchased The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, & The Kill Order and will be reading them soon. Excited and hoping for a good ending.... Crosses fingers.
on January 11, 2015
I really enjoyed this book! I tried reading the Maze Runner in 2009, but it didn't "hit" with me, so I deleted it from my iPad (I'd bought the book). After seeing the movie with my mom I decided to buy the paperback, since I'm not really into my Kindle Paperwhite anymore.

One thing I can say about this book is that the world building is amazing. You get a very nice feel for the glade and the maze. I could imagine the towering stone walls, along with the smells. Characterization is moderate at best. The only character I felt like I knew was Chuck and Newt; everyone else was a stranger.

This book is not thought provoking and isn't for those looking for deeper meaning. it's a fun read, with a great story and fun characters. Thomas was super annoying at first, but overtime he matured.

One of the best things about this book are the plot twists, the plot in general and the general mystery of WICKED. I'm really excited to buy the next book and see what happens next!

I HIGHLY recommend this book!
on October 20, 2014
If you haven't tired of young adults in peril in dystopian worlds, then James Dashner's The Maze Runner may be worth your attention. The book is packed full of action and fast paced turn of events that keep the pages turning. The Maze Runner definitely suffers from characters who are seemingly erratic and inconsistent in their emotional reactions to the events that unfold, and while I'd like to contribute this to the life threatening situations that arise (and hormones), I really felt this issue was embedded in the writing and wasn't true to the characters.

Despite some of these character attribute shortcomings, I was immediately drawn into the plot of the story. I wrote a full review of the first story here: http://bit.ly/YfcyYd

The Scorch Trials lacked the heart of the first book and The Death Cure was underwhelming in terms of a conclusion. I couldn't bring myself to read the prequel because I was exhausted by the series at the end. There is so much action, horror and defeat that I needed a break, and plus - I didn't want to deviate from the characters I already knew.
on February 24, 2016
After reading The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure and loving all three, my son could not get into this book. He must have tried for a month and couldn't get further than maybe a quarter of the book. Finally I told him it was time to give it up, though I believe in giving books a chance and reading through the end. However, I'd rather he read than sit there staring at the pages with an empty look on his face. Perhaps others will love it, and it's a matter of taste. This is just one opinion.
on April 11, 2014
if you haven't read the maze runner yet, stop, put this down and go start from the order as written not the "real" order of the story. i hate when people do that it will ruin the other three books for you if you don't.

we finally see how it all began. this book takes us to the struggle of the world before the maze, when the flares happen and when the flare takes the rest of the population. Dashner introduces new characters in the first generation of this new world. it is action packed, well written, and sprinkled with a little love. Not just love in the standard man women sense but the over laying theme of love of each other and when your family is taken from you, what would you do to protect the new one you have made in the face of disaster. its great to see how thomas becomes thomas, explanations are given, final decisions on who the enemy really is, and why thomas and theresa made the choice they did in the very beginning. action packed is an understatement. if you are looking for the mental questions and constant state of confusion this one doesn't have it as the other three do. This is the explanation for the rest of the series, and knowing the ultimate outcome it gives you the insight instead of being in the same boat as the others who had no idea what was happening. I'm actually sad the series is over!
on April 29, 2016
Loved this book series. I am the type of person who likes to follow along with audio book with physical book in hand ... Relatively quick series read and full of very suspenseful moments.... My favorite book out the series is the Prequel, Kill Order, but dont you dare read that book first ... you absolutely have to read the other three books first then read the Kill Order Prequel...

The only disappoint I have, which doesnt pertain to the book more so than the movie... Movie #2 The Scorch Trials has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the book .... some books to movies stray off the path of in the movie... this not the case and in fact the book of Scorch Trials was WAAAAY more interesting and suspenseful and made a lot more sense.
on December 11, 2014
It took me 1 week to read all 4 books of this saga - THAT's how good these books are.

It's a dystopian series in which the main characters are teenage kids. I won't delve much more into the plot, but I assure you that not only is the plot plausible (or at least is seems that way to me), but the character development is, surprisingly, quite rich. Not only our hero, Thomas, is well rounded, but so are the others, especially his pals Newt (the sensible one), Minho (the reckless one), and of course Teresa (and I still feel conflicted about her).

I thought YA fiction had gone to the dogs, but Dashner has proven me wrong. After a long year of reading mediocre books from the best-seller list, I'm glad to say I finally found a series I truly enjoyed as much as The Hunger Games or The Giver (without comparing them - that's impossible).

I'll definitely be reading this author's other books as he has proven he has immense talent and unlimited potential.
on May 6, 2014
*This is only part of my review for the whole series. Since I purchased this separately, I had to cut my review.*

I read The Kill Order first since it’s the prequel for the trilogy.

Mark, the MC, teams up with Alec and they try to find a cure for the plague that’s killing the survivors of the solar flares that nearly wiped out Earth. He is recalling all that happened the year before, while also living in the present. The details are truly frightening to me. I was so keen on stopping, but it kept getting to the point where I couldn’t. And while I appreciate details, I think that some of the goriness could have been left out. This is supposed to be YA after all. After reading all of the books, I realized that The Kill Order really left me with questions. I assumed that it would be better to read it first, but I was wrong. There were characters that added nothing to the other books, I’m pretty sure that they didn’t need to be mentioned at all. Yes, you get to know what happened before the Glade, but this felt like a different story. Maybe I should have just read the trilogy, then maybe I wouldn’t think it was such a waste of my reading time.
on August 12, 2015
I got the Maze Runner because I ran out of books to read and it was the next dystopian on my list so I decided to give it a shot and boy am I glad I did. This book is so unique and so captivating that I went around my group of friends shoving the book in their faces and saying "READ IT!" (and I managed to get 7 of them to try it out and they all loved it!) If you liked the movie, the book its so much better because it goes into details that the movie leaves out. I highly recommend this book to all dystopian lovers and to those who wants another trill after the Hunger Games (though its nothing like the Hunger Games, it still had the trill power the Games had but just in a Maze). Hope you give it a shot and love it as much as I did!
on May 23, 2015
I have thought about watching the movie and wanted to read the books first. The first book was okay. The second book took some serious changes and diminished the plot for me. I was terribly disappointed in the third book and didn't even bother to read the prequel. At this point, I don't plan to watch the movie, but probably should have spent the $10 to enjoy it rather than $16 for a disappointing series.

As some other reviewers have noted, the author takes a "lazy" approach and tells the reader what's happening instead of showing them. The character development is weak and unfulfilling. Lastly, I am personally getting tired of the post-apocalyptic, dystopian future stories with teenagers battling each other or grandiose quasi-government agencies. I keep hoping for some sort of greater meaning to be books instead of action pack d teenage angst. But that's probably just me.