Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

11,244
The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 4, 2015
I want to start off by saying that I enjoyed this book a lot. I loved the story; it reminded me a little of a cross between Hunger Games and The Long Walk (by Stephen King) with a completely different sci-fi twist. What is great about the concept and how it was delivered is that it is highly intriguing and makes you want to just keep reading and try to unravel on your own what is going on before the characters do. I can best explain my feelings while reading it as I was reading a sci-fi story that I was also making into a detective story in my mind. And it definitely left me hanging enough to want to continue reading the series so all the pieces of the puzzle can come together so I can get the big picture of what is going on. I also was able to get a good idea of the settings (Maze, Glade) from the description that was given, which is important to me because I like to get good mental images while reading. Maybe I enjoyed the story so much because I have always been a big fan of sci-fi and if you aren’t into sci-fi you may not enjoy it as much. But I can honestly say it was a fun read for me.

Now for the bad. I feel like this book was rather simply written. It felt like Dashner’s choice of language could be novice at times and his description of peoples’ moods and the way he expressed their emotions was pretty basic (E.g. “He said in an excited manner” “He said absently”) and the made up slang used by the Gladers really did get on my nerves at times. Also, there was very little character development. By the end of the book I didn’t feel like I really knew and of the characters. I even had a hard time being sympathetic towards them at times when they were going through something tragic because I wasn’t emotionally attached to them at all. I also feel like the timing in the book was off. Gladers had been in maze for years working on it and someone new shows up and a few days later everything is solved. I get that Thomas had some connection but I also feel like the revelation was too fast and slightly anti-climactic. As far as the Grievers, I know a lot of people were unhappy with them but I am intrigued. I am holding out hope that they will be in the other books and that they will be explained more and actually have an interesting back-story.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. It is good for a quick read and not too intense in terms of making you overthink things or have to re-read passages. The story is interesting and moves quickly and the mystery behind everything makes you want to keep reading. I wish you could give half stars because I would give this book a 3.5. If I were judging on story concept alone I may give it a four but the problem I keep coming back to is the characters. I am the type of reader who loves to be pulled into the characters’ lives. I want to feel their emotions and I want to miss them when they are gone. For that reason I decided to go with three stars. I am holding out hope that the next two books improve in that aspect and the storyline continues to be good.
on March 23, 2015
This was a fantastic series. As someone who doesn't read much, Dashner kept the pages turning! After reading some reviews, it seemed as though many did not like the way the series ended. I however, enjoyed the entire series and also liked the final book. If you are someone who doesn't typically enjoy reading, and/or saw the movie, maybe give this a try. I do not like books that spend a great deal of time with flowery language, not moving the story along. With the Maze Runner Series, literally every chapter has something going on that continues the story.
on October 26, 2017
I gave this prequel three stars. It would have gotten four but I was not a fan of all the fight scenes. They seemed very lengthy and repetitious to me. But the story painted a very vivid picture of what happened to the world that became the setting for the Maze runner trilogy. It answered many questions and filled in a lot of blanks. I would recommend this book to anyone who has invested the time to read the previous trilogy.
on August 3, 2014
Excellent story. You need to understand going in that this is a prequel only in terms of being set in the environment that led to the Maze Runner trilogy. The characters from the trilogy are not part of this book with one slight exception, revealed at the end of the book. If you get that, you will enjoy the book. It has the same attention to characters, sense of loyalty, action and mystery from the trilogy. You will come to love the new characters and root for them as they give their all for their fellow man. I would buy a second 'prequel' if it involved these new characters. The environment is there. Why not use it?
on October 22, 2014
I don't know about anyone else, but the Maze Runner was the least intriguing of all the books. The characters didn't make me care about them but I read it and wanted to get answers at the end mostly. Well, by the time I'd finished The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure, my first impression was long gone. Each book itsnt stand alone, but needs the next, which is perfectly fine. A great read for teens, young adults, and adults, and this series comes with a prequel story to the Thomas adventure which... YOU MUST READ if you want to better understand what's going on in the world of the books.
on March 16, 2016
The strange language they used in this book got on my nerves like chalk squeaking on a chalk board. The author substituted made up curse words instead of using real ones. Why use any expletives? The characters were all children / teenagers / young adults. I did notice these goofy words were left out of the movie, which I had to watch after reading the book. I probably would have rated the book 4 stars without them.
on January 13, 2016
This was a gift for my son for Christmas. He originally wanted to order it from the book fair but as always, I wanted to check Amazon and but of course the price is much better here!!! So glad I ordered the series. He's really enjoying the 1st book thus far!! Books are catching the eye and good quality.
I was hoping to find out how Wicked started; and more about Thomas and Theresa's relationship. They were the main characters in the Trilogy, but they were non-existent in the Prequel. This entire book was about how the Flare began. The main character, Mark, lives through the Flare, floods, food shortages, diseased crazed people beating him up and more! He's like today's Rambo! This book took me a lot longer to read because many parts, like Mark constantly needing naps and constant brawls, seemed to take up most of the story, making it an okay read and not one that I couldn't put down.
on May 11, 2015
I loved loved loved the Maze Runner series. Couldn't wait to start a new book and was very entertained throughout, despite how far it stretched sometimes. This book was not good. Its about 5 or 6 random people who literally go through experiences that are unbelievable. I just started flipping pages through the never ending fight scenes to finish the plot. If you think Thomas went through a lot, Mark and Alec are cats with 9 lives. It started getting ridiculous. The story may have been better had the entire focus been what was randomly discussed in Mark's dreams. And then the end was just - whatever. There was no point to any of it. Having read the other books, it was clear how the Flame started, and this really didn't add much that couldn't have been conveyed in a few paragraphs. I was very disappointed.
on June 18, 2013
I initially bought this book off of others reviews & will admit I almost put it down. If you are one of those people, don't do it. Stick with it! There is some odd language & dialog in the beginning but amazingly you get used to it. The main character, Thomas sort of got on my nerves as well in the beginning with all of his questioning but like I said, I stuck with it & I am so glad I did. I ended up reading this in 2 days. I couldn't put it down. It makes you think. The author does a great job of putting you in the middle of the action & developing his characters. When I hate a character, I know the author has done a great job. Oh my gosh, and the ending!!! Didn't see that coming!! Trust me, it's a great read! I just bought book 2. I hope it holds up as well as this one.