Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer reviews

11,209
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 8,621 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,209 reviews
on April 29, 2016
Loved this book series. I am the type of person who likes to follow along with audio book with physical book in hand ... Relatively quick series read and full of very suspenseful moments.... My favorite book out the series is the Prequel, Kill Order, but dont you dare read that book first ... you absolutely have to read the other three books first then read the Kill Order Prequel...

The only disappoint I have, which doesnt pertain to the book more so than the movie... Movie #2 The Scorch Trials has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the book .... some books to movies stray off the path of in the movie... this not the case and in fact the book of Scorch Trials was WAAAAY more interesting and suspenseful and made a lot more sense.
on December 11, 2014
It took me 1 week to read all 4 books of this saga - THAT's how good these books are.

It's a dystopian series in which the main characters are teenage kids. I won't delve much more into the plot, but I assure you that not only is the plot plausible (or at least is seems that way to me), but the character development is, surprisingly, quite rich. Not only our hero, Thomas, is well rounded, but so are the others, especially his pals Newt (the sensible one), Minho (the reckless one), and of course Teresa (and I still feel conflicted about her).

I thought YA fiction had gone to the dogs, but Dashner has proven me wrong. After a long year of reading mediocre books from the best-seller list, I'm glad to say I finally found a series I truly enjoyed as much as The Hunger Games or The Giver (without comparing them - that's impossible).

I'll definitely be reading this author's other books as he has proven he has immense talent and unlimited potential.
on May 6, 2014
*This is only part of my review for the whole series. Since I purchased this separately, I had to cut my review.*

I read The Kill Order first since it’s the prequel for the trilogy.

Mark, the MC, teams up with Alec and they try to find a cure for the plague that’s killing the survivors of the solar flares that nearly wiped out Earth. He is recalling all that happened the year before, while also living in the present. The details are truly frightening to me. I was so keen on stopping, but it kept getting to the point where I couldn’t. And while I appreciate details, I think that some of the goriness could have been left out. This is supposed to be YA after all. After reading all of the books, I realized that The Kill Order really left me with questions. I assumed that it would be better to read it first, but I was wrong. There were characters that added nothing to the other books, I’m pretty sure that they didn’t need to be mentioned at all. Yes, you get to know what happened before the Glade, but this felt like a different story. Maybe I should have just read the trilogy, then maybe I wouldn’t think it was such a waste of my reading time.
on August 12, 2015
I got the Maze Runner because I ran out of books to read and it was the next dystopian on my list so I decided to give it a shot and boy am I glad I did. This book is so unique and so captivating that I went around my group of friends shoving the book in their faces and saying "READ IT!" (and I managed to get 7 of them to try it out and they all loved it!) If you liked the movie, the book its so much better because it goes into details that the movie leaves out. I highly recommend this book to all dystopian lovers and to those who wants another trill after the Hunger Games (though its nothing like the Hunger Games, it still had the trill power the Games had but just in a Maze). Hope you give it a shot and love it as much as I did!
on May 23, 2015
I have thought about watching the movie and wanted to read the books first. The first book was okay. The second book took some serious changes and diminished the plot for me. I was terribly disappointed in the third book and didn't even bother to read the prequel. At this point, I don't plan to watch the movie, but probably should have spent the $10 to enjoy it rather than $16 for a disappointing series.

As some other reviewers have noted, the author takes a "lazy" approach and tells the reader what's happening instead of showing them. The character development is weak and unfulfilling. Lastly, I am personally getting tired of the post-apocalyptic, dystopian future stories with teenagers battling each other or grandiose quasi-government agencies. I keep hoping for some sort of greater meaning to be books instead of action pack d teenage angst. But that's probably just me.
on May 7, 2015
Dashner writes in a format that is simple and enjoyable for readers of any reading level. Maze runner and it's sequels paint a disturbing yet frighteningly believable view of the future. While he uses devices and imagery that is outlandish at times, the over all crux of the story will resonate with the darkest fears about humanity and the powers that be. With seeming ease, he leads you down obvious paths only to stun you with the unexpected. Death cure brings you face to face with a gut wretching reality, only to lead you through the dark to that tiny place we keep inside ourselves that we call hope. A fanatically dark dystopian series that echoes the internal hope that despite our races failings, in the end we can redeem our future, if even for the few. Hope prevails until the last human vanishes from this planet.
on April 10, 2016
While the premise is interesting, the writing was sub par. Plenty of one dimensional characters and no real depth to plot lines or character development and relationships. Frequent eye rolling. I am usually quite willing to suspend disbelief for a good story, but this was too much. I finished the first three books, but can't get into the pre-quel. Really bad proofreading and editing, if they were even done. Not worth the time.
on October 22, 2012
The Kill Order
by James Dashner

Also In Series:

Maze Runner
Scorch Trials
Death Cure

In the prequel to the best selling Maze Runner trilogy, you meet Mark and Trina. Before, there was a Maze, before there was WICKED there was the flares, and there was the aftermath. This is the world that Mark and Trina live in now. On their way home from school, the world changed in an instant. Turning from luxury to survival in a heartbeat. Now, out in the wilderness they are trying to make peace with everything they've lost and what they have gained along the way.

Problem is, the world is looking to change the peace. The fragile peace is shattered when the Berg's show up and people begin to die. Now, there is a strange illness and it's taking over the population faster than anyone could have ever imagined. But who is behind the illness, what does it really do, what was it's real purpose? Mark and Trina are destined to find out!

I was so excited to pick this book up. To be honest, since I read the Maze Runner, I have been in love with the writings of James Dashner. He is truly gifted at creating a world and making sure that you have no idea what is happening or what is coming. Constant surprises abound in the novels that he writes. One might think, that because this is the prequel to his amazingly popular series that it is obviously, not going to be as exciting. They would be wrong. Dashner, makes sure to enlighten his readers to things that you would never dream of happening. Things you never thought of. Things that happened long before Thomas and the crew entered the maze.

I loved the way that he didn't start completely at the beginning. To be honest, I thought, initially the book would be told by someone in WICKED that created the Flare, or perhaps, something similar. I was wrong. Much like the Maze Runner, the story is told by the teens that are living in the world plagued by the madness that is now around every corner. In the Maze Runner, the Flare is here and there, but in the prequel you will find that it plays a huge staring role. Giving people a much better view of what the Flare is like and how it begins, ends, etc.

I loooooved the character development in this novel. The way Mark changed from the first page to the last.. I can't give too much away, but it was phenomenal. A mark of a true writer. I think anyone that has not read the Maze Runner should. It's one of my favorite dystopian teen novel series. Not to mention, the Prequel just rounds it out even more. I'm not sure if Dashner intends to write another prequel, to explain what happens after the end of the Kill Order, or if instead, that is where the Maze really begins. But, overall, I thought it really rounded out the series.

4.5 stars!!!
on May 11, 2017
Many will compare this to the Hunger games or Divergent but I think this series has a lot of its own merit and does a lot of things different from those two series. In a lot of ways the only two similarities is that they are post apocalyptic. That being said if you liked those serious you will love this one. I bought this for my son and he burned through them in a week. I read them after him and for what they are they were very enjoyable.
on January 25, 2015
(Contains Spoilers)

I imagine that if one would want to release a man-made virus into the world in order to control the population it would not be one that turns the world into zombies, takes a LONG time to kill the infected (if it ever does?), and HAS NO CURE. It is also sad to me that the author's future view of science is torturing children and then never actually explaining how that helps in the creation of a cure. The author uses words like "variables" and "blueprints" but never explains how these things are created by the trials the characters are put through or how they will lead to a cure.

So after watching the movie (which I enjoyed) I thought "this is a really interesting idea, I wonder where the author is going to go with this." So I ordered the series and read the next 2 books (The Scorch Trials and Death Cure) just to find out what happens next. What a let down in character and plausible plot development. I was so bored by the repetitive writing style that towards the end I just started only reading quotes. It was almost as though the books were written to become movies. Two stars instead of one because I did end up reading 2 more of the books hoping beyond hope that some interesting plot development would happen.