Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
on August 10, 2012
My husband and I love Mediterranean food and are always looking for new recipes. This cookbook was a great find. It has a lot of authentic recipes. I really like how she gives so much background information on different dishes and tells you what region the dish is from. The instructions are well written. In general, Mediterranean recipes take some time to make and these are no exception - not a lot of quick recipes.
on February 6, 2009
Well, I have been a huge fan of the Mediterranean style of preparing food for a few years now. I knew I needed to do something when I just started to feel "crummy" and big from having had six kids, and saw how my husband was getting more unhealthy and large,with high blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, asthma, allergies, you name it. I was ready to take him out back and put him down for cryin' out loud! After reading and following the lifestyle changes I pulled from the book,we lost weight, and felt really good using fresh simple ingredients to prepare fabulous meals that Mediterranean people don't think twice about, since it's their way of life. How crazy are we, that we think we know it all, yet we are basically killing ourselves with fat and preservatives?!
I agree completely with one of the other reviewers, who felt the word "Diet" was a misnomer. I carry this book around with me to appointments, and such, and people will ask,"What kind of diet is it like"?
I then have to explain that Nancy Jenkins means diet as in the way we eat and approach food, not counting calories and such. I love any cookbook that takes me to a place along with a recipe, and I feel that this was accomplished completely and beautifully. I found myself trying to prepare foods I never thought I would before,such as "Moroccan Preserved Lemons". Go figure. I was fascinated to read about fasting and feasting in the Mediterranean, and how it ties to our religious beliefs and traditions, as well as diet. Boy, as a Catholic, I see how those rules can get changed to make it easier for people to get lazy and take the easy way out! Perhaps it's time for me to take a little spiritual advice from this book as well, and help my soul and body together!
If you want to get an all-around good feel for the region, the people, the lifestyle, and most of all, the fabulous,diverse cuisine that is the Mediterranean, look no further than Nancy Harmon Jenkins.
on January 4, 1998
I have always felt that the word "diet" hurts the appeal of this book. It is not a "go on this and lose weight" diet, but rather "the way the Mediterrean peoples of the world eat" diet. Most healthcare professionals feel that the Mediterrean diet is the healthiest diet there is; however, this book is on a list of my top five cookbooks in a collection of approximately 500 based on how delicious the food is! Try the Greek Salad and the Salad Nicoise, two dishes that are horribly served in diners all over the Northeast, to see how they really should taste. The food is truly wonderful AND healthy. The recipes are clearly written and easy to prepare. I give this book as a present all the time to both my health-conscious friends and my cooking friends. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to cook, to anyone who loves to eat, and to anyone who wants to clean up his nutritional act in 1997. I give my thanks to Nancy Harmon Jenkins for a monumental work and wish everyone who tries it good eating and good luck.
0Comment| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2014
I originally ordered this book from my local library. I liked it so much that I decided I wanted it for my personal collection. It's true that many of the recipes have a lot of ingredients. It's also true that it doesn't have beautiful photos in it. I don't care. I like to cook and these recipes are great idea starters. Plus they're delicious.
on April 8, 2010
I have tried about half a dozen recipes from this cookbook, and I can recommend it highly. I have even adapted the recipes for a maximum strength microwave, and the recipes turn out just fine. My husband loves what I cook.

I like the fact that the ingredients are relatively simple, and the spices are those that one would keep readily on hand. Too many ingredients present a muddled taste in food, I think.

I was most impressed with the review that said that the reviewer had given many copies of this cookbook to friends. She made a good choice.
on October 26, 2013
Once a person accepts to follow a Mediterranean way of life and diet, they also need to know what and how to cook to achieve their goals. This book has the recipes to use every day for all meals and celebrations of life and joy.
on March 18, 2013
A fantastic collection of some of the best recipes that I have come across in an incredibly long time. One thing of note: read the recipes! There are many techniques and exact directions that are glossed over.
on August 7, 2001
This book is an invaluable staple in my kitchen. The recipes utilize fresh, delicious, readily available ingredients; they are flavored to please both the palate and the body. Tired of diet after failed diet, I wanted to find an alternative that was good for my health as well as my waistline, and this fits the bill. I am not only losing weight, I feel better, have more energy, and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels have dropped significanly. I highly recommend this book and this style of eating to anyone who wishes to improve his or her general health.
on February 20, 2014
The recipes are good and seem very healthy, which is what I was looking for in a Mediterranean Diet. Also, the authors reflection on her travels was interesting.
on December 9, 2016