Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 128 reviews
on July 21, 2015
Razi exists in a realm between memories of her former life in 1920's New Orleans and in the home of a young couple in the novel's present time. Due to an unfortunate untimely death, she was never able to answer perhaps the most important question ever posed to her by a young man whom she loves with all of her heart. At the beginning of the novel, the young couple purchase a bookcase that had belonged to the young man and Razi follows them home hoping that she will be able to discover what happened to her love. This novel enchants the reader as it creates a spiral pattern in unraveling Razi's life in the twenties to reveal her motives for the actions she takes in the present. There is a cast of colorful and intriguing supporting characters that assist Razi in her quest and fulfill her mission on her journey home.
on November 28, 2014
One of my top reads, hands down.

I have read this book six times now. Six. And each time is just as good, if not better, than the last. The words and verbiage are so freaking breathtaking that you spend so much time rereading lines...they are utterly transcending.

There are a few quotes in this book that will stick with you for a lifetime. Because the words are just that good. Seriously.

The love in this story is one that battles even the love that Jamie and Claire have, and that says a lot. It's the type of love that most won't ever experience, or even believe can exist. This love story isn't perfect, and it isn't usual, but it will leave you shattered, but put back together..piece by puzzle piece.
on April 4, 2014
I first encounted Ronlyn Domingue's work when a friend passed along "The Mercy of Thin Air" to me. I regularly sample different genres, but I nearly refused this one - spirits of the dead? Nah.

I was glad I didn't pass it up, because it's a very fine novel ("The Lovely Bones" pales in comparison).

Domingue never puts a foot wrong in it. Every time there's a possibility that it might veer off into woo woo or other territory I don't admire, it doesn't. There's a wonderful blend of the spiritual (in the largest sense) with the mundane affairs of the world. I never felt it was either/or - instead, she constructs a world in which each pole felt natural, never forced, wholly a part of the novel's dream.

Although it's a very different genre, I think this book resembles "Reindeer Moon," by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas, in that although the narration is typically from a spirit world, the focus is on the natural world, both before and during the narration from the other world. In both cases what you get is an unusual and (to me) very pleasing narrative style.
on November 4, 2016
I can't begin to describe how much I love this book. I am not typically a 1st person POV fan, but the main character drew me in immediately! The story had me hooked until the very end. I didn't know Ronlyn Domingue before this, and now I'm an absolute fan!
on June 1, 2015
I am still reading this, but I am enjoying the characters already; both those from the past, the present, and the "in between" - it jumps around a little between those characters, but I'm into the rhytym of it now. Slowly, the characters are melding. It's got me hooked and believing the premise of the main character's situation. I would recommend this book.
on November 18, 2016
I love multiple story lines that are woven together throughout the book and complete with a beautiful story ending. This book fit that perfectly. For weeks after reading I still want to rejoin the characters to relive their story
on April 30, 2016
Very good read although not what expected and a little sad too and yet not. Story of a young woman in 20s who falls in love and dies and spends the next seventy years in the 'between' as she contemplates life, love, family, and friends as she struggles to come to grips with what it means to live, die, and love
on February 13, 2007
I loved this book. I've become a huge Nora Roberts fan but was looking to branch out. I read a review for this book and decided to add it to my list of books to read. When I got a $25 gift certificate to Amazon, I thought I'd try it out. If I didn't like it, it wasn't my money! But once I began reading, I could not put the book down. And when I couldn't read, the story stayed with me everywhere.

It's a wonderful story, full of heart and heartache. The love between these two transcends time. We should all be so lucky, regardless of how long we live.

It also had good humor and a surprising twist.

The only down side, is that her slipping from the present to past memories (that are not in chronological order) can get a little confusing if you don't pay attention.

But it was fascinating to see the "sprit world" through the eyes of Razi. I recommend you read this! I passed it on to my best friend, and who knows where it will go from there!
on October 18, 2008
I've not read the Alice Sebold book that this keeps getting compared to, so my opinion comes from this book on its own merit. I found it enchanting, the prose as haunting as the title and story. The author has a distinct lyricism to her voice, and more than once, I fell head over heels with the sheer beauty of her prose. The story is structured much like The Time Traveler's Wife, with the narrative jumping back and forth in time - present tense used for Razi's living life and past tense used for her ghostly life in the present day. I never found it confusing, and the graceful way it's interwoven, revealing more and more of the characters' lives as it goes along, was masterful. The parallels between Razi's life and the young couple she "lives" with now only add another layer of loveliness to an already glorious tale. Loved it.
on April 7, 2014
I was telling a friend about this book and it is more love story than ghost story and just such a wonderful story. The language & twenties phrases are poetic and it is one of the best books I have read in a long time.