Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Middle: The Complete First Season
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on April 16, 2010
I thought it would be impossible for another show to nail the family life experience the way "Everybody Loves Raymond" did previously. But after watching ABC's "The Middle" I realize how "sitcom" that earlier show was. My family shares the exact same dynamic of the Hecks; the same distribution of kids in the same ages and genders. More than that, "The Middle" portrays an honesty that a regular studio audience sitcom could never convey.

Unlike the over hyped "Modern Family," this show doesn't play to stereotypes, but has its finger on how children actually behave and the realities of middle class life without being sarcastic, mean, or condescending. It's as though real people sneaked into Hollywood and produced this show. The cast is spot on and Patricia Heaton shows she can easily lead a series all on her own.

My family never misses "The Middle" and are happy to see it doing well in the ratings. Let's hope it stays on the air for years to come; can't wait to own this series on DVD.
1212 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2009
I've waited a long time to really love a television show since the greats; Friends and Frasier. ;o) Finally here comes The Middle. My husband and I have not missed an episode nor will we. The moment it's out on DVD we are buying it. It's uniquely funny and I think a lot of full time working Moms will really "get it". The youngest child, Brick is lovable and hilarious and Sue the daughter is so akward you could cry and laugh at the same time. Kudos to the writers of this great comedy.
22 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2010
i think this is one of the best new comedies. i love it and cannot wait for the DVD release! a must buy for sure.
This is one of those great sleeper shows that seems to live in the shadow of other shows on the air - mainly Modern Family: The Complete First Season which has been one of ABC's crown jewels. I am glad that ABC moved it to the front of their line-up and it is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

I was introduced to this show through a lunch conversation with my sister. She was laughing hysterically as she explained the various characters (example, whispering to herself when describing "Brick"). The show sounded interesting and I had always loved Patricia Heaton in Everybody Loves Raymond: The Complete Series, so I had to find this little advertised show and give it a watch.

It was LOVE at first sight! Even though I hadn't had the background of the show, I saw one or two episodes from season 2 and fell in love with the wonderful cast of characters. Brick, Sue, Frankie, Mike and Axl. A perfect blend of characters, the show is gut-wrenchingly funny.

After seeing 1-2 episodes I quickly ordered the first season on DVD so that I could catch up. This is one of the few shows where "out of the box" the series is funny. The first episode sets the framework up beautifully and does not leave the viewer wanting anything except more episodes. We watch these over and over and are waiting with baited breath for season 2 to hit DVD.

If you want a refreshingly funny comedy that is family friendly, this is it. The characters are clever and funny. I am hoping this series lasts many, many seasons. It's a winner!
on March 31, 2010
I am a Patricia Heaton fan. I have enjoyed her work since Everybody Loves Raymond. I loved the short lived show she did with Kelsey Grammar a couple years ago called "Back to You." I was so mad when it was cancelled. Then came "The Middle." This show is a gem. I love Brick, the little guy with an inquisitive mind and that oddball way he repeats his comments to himself in a whisper. I love Axel and Sue. Each kid has their own unique personality. And Heaton and Neil Flynn are great as the parents. The stories are quick, smart and endearing. The focus is family togetherness in a small Indiana town. I even get a giggle out of the Heck's horribly gawdy decorated home. But they all love each other and their affection for one another is precious. I do hope this show stays on for a long time as it is high quality, original and a joy to watch. It is followed on Wednesday nights by "Modern Family", another great new comedy. ABC has finally hit two right out the ball park. I can't wait for their DVD releases.
The little kid on this show is just wonderful, Brick. I am not a parent myself but he has utterly captivated me. He is an odd kid, doesn't fit into anyone's niche but that is what makes him irresistible. So even if the rest of this show was a disaster, I doubt I could give up seeing Brick each week. But the rest is not a disaster, just the opposite in fact. Patricia Heaton plays a middle class mother in Indiana holding it all together despite being the Mom in a family of true eccentrics. Between juggling her full duties as mother of three and wife, she also works at a car dealership where she is the absolute worst salesperson. Even if the economy were booming, I could not see her zooming ahead in this field. The other two kids are teenagers. The daughter, Sue, is awkard in the extreme but the soul of an optimistic good nature. Her older brother is every teen parent's model of apathy and cynicism. He could be the poster boy of the teenage years. The actor playing Mike the father also does a good job. He and Heaton mesh believably as a couple.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
on June 27, 2010
I am not a big fan of TV sitcoms. The characters are unreal and don't speak the truth when it comes to family life. When a friend suggested this show I was skeptical to say the least. After one viewing I was hooked. The writing is true to life and the characters are real people who have flaws, but like most families, they make it work. Thank you to the producers for renewing my faith in the American sitcom.
VINE VOICEon September 5, 2010
Patricia Heaton's talent was over-shadowed all the years she played second fiddle to Ray Romano. In The Middle, her talent really has a chance to shine. She carries the lead amazingly and is the perfect person to do so. Neil Flynn, who plays her husband on the show, is also the right actor for that part. He delivers his lines in a funny, typical fatherly way! Eden Sher, is the teenage daughter, but over-plays her part quite a bit. Still, she comes across loveable and funny. Charlie McDermott, the lazy teenage son, also tends to overact, but he, too, still makes you laugh. And, of course, Atticus Shaffer, playing the youngest son, has a way of stealing your heart and making you want to see more of him.

Whoever is responsible for casting does a marvelous job of selecting actors to play the additional characters in the episodes. Watching each one a second time around made me laugh twice as much, because I picked up funny lines I can't believe I missed the first time. This show has good writers with excellent material, and if you want to laugh - and laugh some more, this is the series to watch. It is TOO funny for words!
on December 4, 2011
I had to take a break after watching the first episode. I was dizzy from not breathing because I laughed so hard. This show is as side splitting as Arrested Development. Parents in traditional families, like me, relate to the depictions of hilarious truths.

Refreshingly, there is (so far) no Christian bashing, off color humor or celebration of aberrant life styles. A modern Cosby Show.

Okay. I have my breath back and am ready to watch the rest of season one.
on August 17, 2010
I have 3 boys ages 10, 7 and 6. They love The Middle as much as I do. Finally! A prime time show the whole family can watch without having to provide explanations about the sexually explicit content (2 1/2 Men, for example) or occasional swear words. Axel reminds my boys of their older cousin, Sue reminds me of me, and all the kids have started the Brick-whisper after watching the DVRed shows over and over. My pre-order is in and we can't wait until season 2 begins.