Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Mindful Addict: A Memoir of the Awakening of a Spirit
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 29, 2010
I highly recommend this book for anyone curious about recovery or in learning how an addict can change, grow and find meaning in their life. This book is a great autobiographical spiritual memoir even without the addiction story. Tom's descriptions of how he integrates meditation, inspiration and mindfulness in his effort to live a conscious life is inspiring, enlightening and motivating. His journey from homeless addict to conscious spirit offers hope and encouragement to anyone who reads this book. The essay on the 12-steps at the end is a nice way to connect Tom's life experience with his relationship with the steps.
on September 7, 2010
I am almost 3/4 through with this book. I am loving it, Tom's journey takes me right along with him. It it so heartfelt and funny. Real. I don't want it to end so I am reading it slowly.
I highly recommend this book to any person in recovery even if you do not attend 12 step meetings. I know him personally and he is a very special guy. The book is wonderful!!!
on September 20, 2010
Tom Catton's book is recommended for anyone interested in learning about hope, faith, courage, honesty, compassion, humility and learning how to live clean. Enjoying life through happiness and helping others selflessly. Chris Keeley
on March 8, 2011
After first having heard Tom's story when he was in San Diego in 2003 , I thought to my self, I have got to meet this guy. When I approached him there were so many people that had gathered around him that I could not get close enough to introduce myself; however I did get his phone number from another guy that he had given it to.
After calling a few times I was able to talk to him. Tom has been answering my questions, of a spiritual nature, about recovery ever since. The answers to the questions that I have asked him have been both profound and have made sense.
When I found out that Tom had written a book and that would be available from Amazon I preordered it before its release. When I finally received the book and started reading it I was surprised at the depth that the book goes in to concerning spiritual principles. This book is much more than a simple autobiography; it covers the surrender process.
Once picked up this book is hard to put down; it is enlightening, interesting and at times funny.My favorite part of the book is the section on the twelve steps. I think he states the most tolerant view of the steps and fellowship that I have ever read.
Tom's life has been a spiritual journey and with this book he shares it with us all.

This book is a must read for anyone wishing to further their spiritual development weather or not they are involved in a recovery process.

Thanks for sharing Tom
on October 29, 2013
I recently read "The Mindful Addict" by Tom Catton when he posted that Amazon had it on sale. (Full disclosure: Tom has been a family friend for many years.) I honestly wasn't expecting a lot, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed reading the book. I found some parts of it laugh out loud funny -- especially his descriptions of his teen dating moves -- while other parts -- most notably his meeting with Mother Teresa -- moved me to tears. It's an engaging story with a simple, direct charm that kept me turning the pages for a whole afternoon and evening. I'd definitely recommend it.
on October 10, 2010
In a time when recovery from addictions is so crucial to our survival, as an addicted culture, for our returning veterans, for our decreasing mental health services, "The Mindful Addict" is a standout from other books about addiction. The author, Tom Catton, has recovered. From `a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body', Tom Catton has recovered.

In this beautiful and impelling book, Tom describes in crystal clear detail, the road of recovery over a lifetime. Not just the first 30 days, or first year, but the actual life and struggles one can overcome through a practice of the spiritual life (and what that means). The difficulty of surrender, and how to do it, the difficulty of "being spiritual", and how to do it, the difficulty of developing and maintaining a peaceful and compassionate heart, and how to do it, and finally, selflessly, serving others with joy.

On it's own, for any reader, this is a wonderful, happy and engaging book. As a tool for those struggling with addiction, it's a thoughtful, loving and hopeful message. As an addictions clinician, working with our homeless and treatment resistant souls for over 30 years, I plan to stock my shelves with it. Thank you for taking the time to discuss the first 40-some years.

Through your honest experiences and insights, you remind and show the reader that we CAN, and we DO recover. One mysterious, joyous, agonizing or magical moment at a time. Together. God is loving you now.
Louise Mark, RN
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2010
First let me start off by saying I have always hated reading, I have some kind of processing/comprehension problem. I received this book as a gift and finished it in about a week. Absolutely amazing, it was hard to put down. This story is truly inspiring and riveting. It seems like I was hooked at the end of every page and just had to see what was going to happen next. Tom is a great writer and I was truly touched by this story. Sometimes the obvious presence of God in his life brought tears to my eyes. I could relate with so many parts, it seems like this is a book perfect for anyone in the process or seeking to improve their spiritual life. This is a spiritual adventure! This is one of the best books I've ever read. It is really inspiring and will get anyone excited about recovery, the practice of meditation and improving a relationship with God, a higher power, true self, divine self or whatever one wants to call it. He shares with us the importance of living in the moment and taking great pleasure in ordinary everyday activities. Tom has such a positive outlook on life, the world needs more like him. Tom reveals himself as a gentle, caring and loving soul overwhelmed with gratitude. I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to read this story and thanks to Tom for sharing it with us. I have already bought more copies to give away.
on December 5, 2013
This is an unusual book. Flobird is probably one of the few examples of a Jesus like person in our times. She has no permanent home, and she goes where healing is needed as she is guided. Could we do the same?

As for the author, this is his story of his journey from drug addiction to trying to follow Flobird's example..
on October 5, 2013
...this is a great book or you can read it and find that out for yourself. I love Tom Catton's delivery of his personal experience on the road to recovery and discovery of his spiritual path. I can't imagine that you won't love it too.
on September 9, 2013
I could hardly stop reading this book. This is even more extraordinary considering that Tom Catton is not a professional writer. I highly recommend this book to any spiritual seeker, in any spiritual tradition.