Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

The Mitten
Format: Board book|Change

on December 28, 2015
A boy of about 7 or 8 wants warm winter mittens, in white. His grandmother advises as color so the mittens can be found if dropped. But Nikki wants and gets white. Off he goes into the deep snows around the small farmstead---and drops a mitten while climbing a tree. Not noticing, on he goes having a wonderful snowy day. So does a wee mole who crawls in the mitten. So does a rabbit snuggling right down. So do a forestful of animals, all enchantingly portrayed with expressions of increasing annoyance as a ox---a fox and then a great big bear climb into the sot warm mitten.

But---a tiny mouse, a latecomer, climbs on bear's nose causing a big sneeze which propels all the critters hither and yon, and tosses the mitten through the air just in time for Nikki who is searching to catch it. On the last page, Nikki is happily toasting his toes by the fire while Grandma holds up the mittens she has knitted puzzled indeed about why has stretched and stretched.

The story abounds with delights for reader and listeners: the text is written with almost a poetic cadence with lovely sounding words; the illustrations are bright with color and joyously composed, the story tickles the imaginations and offers a grand platform for talking about animals who might or might not fitten into a mitten. For my family, this was a perfect Christmas-tide story even here on a tropical island .

Any Reader Alerts? None at all. This is pure enchantment at a very affordable price. Very highly recommended.
This book is beautiful. The illustrations are ethereal and adorable. The story is sweet and old fashioned in a good way. It might be a long read for young children, but I think it's worth it.
It's not neutral colors and relaxing, I like that about books. It's not neon colors and flashy stories with no meaning, just to hold children's attention. It uses some old fashioned terminology and language, but that's a good thing because I don't feel it panders to younger readers.
It's beautiful. Get the book!
on March 11, 2017
3 year old loved this so much he wrapped it in his blankets. We're thus on our second copy, first was a gift, and I'm here to tell you board books are easier on the washer than are paper books.

The little mitten cutouts highlight the upcoming action, which our son really likes. Great story and illustrations.
on February 1, 2017
You never forget a Jan Brett book!

I purchased this book for my classroom, since we are studying the world and culture through music! Couldn't think of a better story to read to my class of 3-5 year olds.

I never forgot her illustrations and the book was exactly how I remembered it when I last read it at six years old!
on March 8, 2018
Jan Brett's beautiful and intricately detailed illustrations bring this Ukranian folk tale to life! In the story, a young boy drops a white mitten in the snow. One by one, various animals squeeze into the warm mitten to keep warm, and every time, the mitten stretches even more. Finally, a small animal moves in, and causes another animal to sneeze, sending the entire group flying from the mitten! Later, Nikki finds his mitten, and hurries home to his grandma, whose expression is the best, as she looks at the stretched mitten! Wonderful story, but evern more wonderful illustrations!
on July 7, 2008
This is a retelling of a classic folktale about a boy who loses his mitten. As he plays, all sorts of animals squeeze in, until finally they burst out.

One of Brett's strengths is in the detail she crams into every page. For example, in this book the sidebar of every left-hand page shows how the boy, Nicki, accidentally dislodges the next animal to go visit his mitten, and on the right-hand page the sidebar shows that animal running towards the mitten.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain that the level of detail Brett goes into is particularly well-suited for board books. The text is simple enough for a very young child to sit through and understand, but all the same, you might be better off waiting until they're old enough for a real copy of this book. (Especially if a previous commenter is correct and this version is abridged from the original!)
on November 23, 2011
In the mid 80's, I came across one of Jan Brett's books while looking for another author. I was completely blown away by the artistry...which was my main reason for purchasing. I wrote her, and to my surprise she responded with a lovely letter and also enclosed illustrations of books yet to be completed. I have remained a fan, purchase her books to share with children of all ages. Since then, she has expanded her resources with a wonderful website where you can find illustrations, ideas for reading and sharing with children, and so much more.

All her books that I buy for my family know that these are "treasures and keepsakes" to be passed down...
on December 9, 2013
I love Jan Brett books. The illustration detail is always astounding, and the stories are very traditional without being tired. I also share her fascination with the northern animals and cultures. I had to take away one star for this version of the book because it arrived already damaged--the foil edition is easy to imprint and scratch, so it really will only work as a collection piece, and these stories are meant to be shared with children. You can't just remove the outside jacket and still be able to tell what it is, because the actual cover of the book is just a printing of tree bark.
on November 27, 2017
Adorable book for winter. My boys (2 yrs & 4 yrs) both love it - and beautifully illustrated
on June 14, 2002
I was looking for ways to introduce our family's Ukrainian heritage to my son (now 18 months). I was very pleasantly surprised to come across this book. It shows both the young boy and his grandmother in traditional Ukrainian dress. They even call the grandmother Baba (the Ukrainian word for grandmother). But even beyond the Ukrainian stuff, this book is excellent. The illustrations are beautiful. There are small inset illustrations that tell more background of the story along with the larger, main pictures. So this book is both a picture book and a story book in one. My son loves to look at the animals and all but shrieks with laughter whenever we act out the big sneeze that shoots them all out of the mitten. I'm sure this book will be a treasure in our home for years to come!