Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on December 1, 2007
All I have to say is, Gadflye can't possibly know what good writing is if she/he thinks Mapson can't write. Trust me, she's an incredible writer. I teach writing. I know. THE OWL AND THE MOON CAFE is my new favorite Mapson book and I've recommended it to a bunch of friends. All agree. Normally, when I love a book, I pass it on to my sister, but this one I kept because I knew I would use it for examples in my writing classes. One of Mapson's strengths is characterization, and the four females who star in OWL AND MOON are terrific examples of how to write a fully-fleshed, totally sympathetic, fascinating character. I loved them all, but Lindsay was my favorite. That child just wormed her way into my heart and stayed there. I hated for the book to end because I felt like I was losing someone I wanted to continue knowing. Now I hope Mapson will write a sequel so we can find out what kind of adult Lindsay becomes. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on August 21, 2014
This story I enjoyed, although parts seemed to be over my head, with some political views,, things back in History, I had forgotten or had no clue about. Thank goodness those were not long or many, or I'd have given up on it.

I felt it went on and on, expecting it to end much sooner,,, some books you don't want to put down, or come to an end. This I was glad to find it ending, happily, I might add, but not wanting the storyline to go any further ...
on April 9, 2011
I liked this book a lot. The characters were real and all damaged in some way but came together in a delightful accumulation of mothers and daughters. It is such an age old problem when thinking about the mother and daughters and the generational difference. We don't want to make the same mistakes and don't want to wake up one morning and say " I am beginning to sound like my mother." There's not much chance of that here where the generations couldn't be any more different. It was just a delightful journey from first page to last to see these women come to the realization that thru it all there is love and respect.
on June 17, 2015
I loved this story so much I couldn't put it down! I loved the characters. They seemed so real and I laughed at different parts of the book. It's about women coming together and getting through the tough times. I would recommend this if you would love a good read!
on August 1, 2006
I've been patiently waiting for Mapson's next novel & I am happy to report that I was not disappointed. The Owl & Moon Cafe is now my favorite Mapson book (with Bad Girl Creek a close 2nd!). Mapson delivers a cast of colorful and quirky women and paints the coziest of settings. I especially liked the delightful voice Mapson gave to her youngest character, Lindsay. She did a fantastic job speaking from a young adult perspective. I was truly sad to finish the book and say goodbye to these women (as well as AL & Simon) who I had grown to love.
VINE VOICEon April 29, 2010
The unexpected happens, solutions are sought, questions that have long been unanswered begin snaking toward their answers. The lovely town of Pacific Grove takes on a new demeanor within the pages of this novel. A thorough investigation into alternative healing methods for physical ailments as well as broken hearts is explored. A satisfying read involving quirky, likeable characters.
on November 13, 2013
Characters were well defined. Plot pretty good, byt dragged with excessive description of marijuana growth, and usage. Too much technicality that was unnecessary.
Otherwise, all in all good writing, but the mj. descriptions seemed more like something to fill the pages of a short plot.
on October 25, 2012
For some reason, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The author, Jo-Ann Mapson, reminds me a bit of Alice Hoffman, the way she weaves stories together. I wanted to meet the characters, hang out with them and have coffee. So much so that I was disappointed when the book ended. A wonderful read!
on May 1, 2015
Slightly predictable and odd ending but very readable book about family dynamics. Not sure if I'd recommend it but it was just fine.
on December 1, 2013
The writing was good but the sudden flash backs messed with the story line
I was not sure which events happened w,r.t. Each other
Good basic story