Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 396 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 496 reviews
on December 5, 2012
I think these are excellent books for 16 yrs on up. The atmosphere is that the "Mystery Machine Van" crew are solving crime and the world; along with us learning all their drama and then finding out at the 3rd book FINALLY who is related to who. That part had me guessing some. This is a book seemingly written in 2012 time period but in a parallel world with demon hunters and their hunter's: the fallen angels descendants. For those of you with Kindles: Cannot recall any word errors, nor were the books to short - plenty of length and good grammar.
on April 14, 2013
First off, I wanted to start off by saying that when I saw the cover of the first book and it had Stephanie Meyer saying how much she liked the series, I nearly put the book down out of fear of what I might find inside. I was relieved therefore when I did open the book and found that though there is a love triangle involved, it's not written like Twilight. For me, that was a huge relief.

Now onto the books themselves, which I enjoyed even if I felt that they did have a few problems.

The first book, City of Bones, was definitely the weakest of the three. The plot revolves around a teenage girl named Clary Fray, who begins to see a world she never knew existed. After a series of events, she meets with the mysterious Shadowhunters, who are a group of demon hunters. Together, they try to figure out what is going on with Clary and why she can suddenly see their world.
The main problem I had with this book was that it was nothing I hadn't read before. A lot of the plot elements and big reveals are things that the reader has likely seen in other books, movies or TV shows. My other big problem with this book was the pacing of the story. I felt like this book could have shed about a hundred pages and would have been better for it. It took a long time for the book to get interesting for me.
The saving grace of this book was the characters and their interactions. Sometimes it did come off as the author trying too hard to be funny, but for the most part the conversations between the characters were pretty amusing. The characters themselves were all pretty well fleshed out. Magnus Bane was by far my favorite character and I wish there had been more of him in this book. Overall, I'd give this first book three stars. It was a decent introduction, but it did have its problems.

The second book was a lot better and my personal favorite of the three. With the introductions of the world and the characters out of the way, more attention could be given to the story and pacing. The problems with the pacing were fixed in this second book and the story felt much more focused, while being far less cliched. Without giving too much away, Clary is trying to adjust to her new life given the revelations of the last book, while attempting to return to a semblance of normalcy. When a few mysterious murders happen and her fellow Shadowhunter is thrown in jail, Clary begins to realize that returning to normal may not be as easy as she thought.
Easily the best part of this book was the character interactions. Most of the characters had more of a chance to breathe in this book and this leads to some very enjoyable conversations. The growing relationships between Magnus, Alec, Clary, Jace and Simon lead to some great funny scenes, along with a few very dramatic ones. Jace's problems in this book and the way that he deals with it seem realistic, making the reader feel some real sympathy for him (apart from the beginning). Overall, this book was a big step up from the first one that I couldn't put down. I'd give this book five stars easily.

The final book in the trilogy is the City of Glass, which I felt was better than the first book, was not as good as the second book. The story revolves around the Shadownhunters heading from New York to Idris, the Shadowhunter city, to prepare for the final showdown with their common enemy. Clary, not a trained Shadowhunter, wishes to go to Idris to seek help for one of her loved ones, but ends up being left behind due to circumstances beyond her control. The rest of the book revolves around Clary's journey to Idris and her role in what could be the final battle for the Shadowhunters.
There are some things I really like about this book. The pacing, aside from the ending, was pretty good and the story had a good mix of action and drama. The relationship issues that carried through the three books are solved in a satisfactory manner and characters like Simon, who previously annoyed me, began to grow on me by the book's end. Magnus and Alec's interactions in the book were by far some of the most entertaining parts to read.
On the downside, the book's climax and conclusion were really cliched. I went back to feeling like I had read this story before in several different books, such as Harry Potter. The pacing of the epilogue was really slow for me since it had a lot of set up in it for the next book. I knew what was going to happen in the epilogue and I found myself skimming a lot of pages towards the end as it took its sweet time to get there. My other problem involved the actions of the main character Clary, who I thought did some pretty selfish things in the book. Thankfully, the other characters called her out on it, but it still irked me sometimes.
Overall, the book was pretty exciting and well paced, up until the end where the pacing and story telling went down a notch. I'd give this book four stars.

I definitely enjoyed the trilogy more than I thought I would at first. After I got past the first book, I was very interested in the characters and the story. I would recommend sticking with it if you're having trouble getting past the first book. The second book and the vast majority of the third is worth it.
on May 27, 2013
I started this series by reading the Infernal Devices. That may have been my mistake. TID drew me into the Shadowhunter World and would not let go. I loved it like I love chocolate. However, after having read The Mortal Instruments, I have to say that Ms. Clare's writing improved substantially between the two series. Or, it could very well be that I prefer my romances historical instead of contemporary. The dialogue in the Mortal Instruments seems so forced and unnatural. I couldn't take any of the characters seriously, and really don't care about any of them. Clary irritates me and Jace is just a cardboard romance cutout. He's certainly no Will (and Simon is no Jem).

BTW, every time she writes "[so and so] threw up [his/her] hands..." I picture the character vomiting up a pair of hands. Every. Single. Time. It's time to drop that turn of phrase. Ugh.
on April 2, 2013
This review is written after finishing all five books so far published in the universe of The Mortal Instruments.

The Mortal Instruments is a VERY well written "YA" urban fantasy/romance. As an adult reader (I am 33) I was surprised by how well written it was. I felt like it was one of those rare finds (like Harry Potter or Twilight) that can easily appeal to teens and adults alike. It has complex characters you can fall in love with, a fast-paced and action packed storyline that progresses naturally without feeling rushed, and a vivid world that comes alive in your mind as you read. What you will NOT find in this series is graphic adult themes such as descriptive sex and dark or disturbing types of violence. There will be blood, fighting, dying, "implied" sex (in later books) and underage drinking, and the descriptive romance doesn't make it past second base.

I am looking forward to reading more from this author and would recommend it highly to older teens and adults who enjoy engaging, well written YA fantasy/romance books that play on a literary level which surpasses what you may typically expect from the genre.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2013
I'm starting to wonder if there's some young writers' club where they get issued a template to start new novels... and while not sure which series was released first, I read the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking before I picked up the Mortal Instruments, so I'm sort of biased towards Trylle for original content.

While one story is set in rural Minnesota and the other in NYC, the characters are quite similar:
Clary and Wendy both were ignorant of their heritage and destiny, and not very likable characters to begin with
Jace and Finn are the forbidden love
Isabella and Willa are the girly girl friend who help them acclimate
Alex and Tove are both gay
There are hobgoblins and warlocks out to get them

Given the similarities in the stories, I liked Trylle for the faster pace. I'll try to finish the other two books and see if there are dramatic differences between the series
on July 30, 2013
One of my good friends let me borrow the first three of the Mortal Instruments series approximately two years ago and I absolutely LOVED them (okay, so I reeeeally love Jace)! I finally just sold out and bought all of my own from the series because the movie is about to come out and I have to be able to re-read them whenever I please...
Cassandra Clare is a genuinely brilliant writer and creator. The world(s) you visit within this series are unlike any other I've fallen in love with in various other books. In addition to the amazing twists Clare puts on fallen angels, vampires, faeries, etc., her characters are incredible! Clary is exactly the badass girl I wished for when I read other YA fiction with naîve, impressionable protagonists. She is quick, strong, witty, and quite a match for the smokin' hot (and adorably sarcastic) Jace!
I definitely recommend this series for anyone who loves YA fiction!
VINE VOICEon January 12, 2010
Since this is a review for the entire trilogy I can't really say much that wouldn't end up being a spoiler of some sort. Clary and Simon are best friends and so smart and interesting, they really add so much to the story and Clary is absolutely wonderful to follow around! Jace has to be my absolute favorite character of any book I have read. I have a crush on Jace. LOL He is so witty and sarcastic and he's a guy's guy. No mushy Edward or pushover guy that's following like a puppy dog after some girl. He is a strong character that is a perfect match to Clary's strength as the lead female. The story is so well developed and the lands they travel to are so well built that you can imagine exactly where they are.

In this series Cassandra Clare brings all of the mythical monsters and demons together into one realm that lives within our world parallel to us but not quite "with" us. The Shadowhunters are the nephilim that are kind of the policemen of the downworlders. They make sure that these creatures stay away from humans and stay in line within their own little cultures. The whole idea and execution of this series was spot on. Wit and humor mixed in with a lot of action and adventure with a splash of romance. I love that the romance is just enough to make your heart pound but it's not overwhelming to the story line.

This series is my most highly recommended series and is sitting out in my living room displayed with my other favorites. (you can see my listmania list to see what those are) If you read these books be prepared for it to consume a few days of your time because you won't want to put them down until you are done!!
on February 27, 2012
This is a great, fun series. It even has reference to Holly Black's fairy/pixie series. Ms. Clare proves when parents try to protect their children from the evils in the world, not only it does not work, it makes a wonderful back drop for an action packed series in reality and fantasy. I highly recommend this series to all of you independent reader out there and you open minded fantasy/sci-fi adults.
on December 26, 2010
OH MY GOODNESS!! I LOVE these books!!!! The way that the main characters are introduced is genius!!!! Clarissa (Clary) at the Pandemonium Club while Jace, Alec and Isabelle interrogating the warlock with no one else being able to see them!!! I think the foundation for their personalities were set at that point! I love how much Jace's emotions become uncharacteristic when it relates to Clary! I LOVE how much he loves her!!! Simon is the perfect best friend! I'm surprised it took Alec this long to admit to his true feelings!!! I pinned him from early on in the story!! Jace is like a warm Edward ( Edward Cullen - Twilight Saga). They both love with every fiber of their being! The Mortal Instruments were and still are my addiction! I just hope that if and when a movie is decided to be made based on these books, that they are not set "decades" away from each other as the Twilight Saga is! It's hard to put down this books! It has drama, action, suspense and oh so much romance!! I've pre-ordered the fourth book in the series, The Fallen Angels and can't WAIT to see what happens with Jace and Clary, and Alec and ...:) Cassandra Clare has magic fingers!!! Write on Lady!! Write on!!! I'll read whatever you write!! FIVE STARS!!!!
on February 26, 2013
The books were just pure awesomeness.
Even though the trilogy were written to target young adults, I found myself engaged in the books nonstop.
I couldn't put the books down.
Every time I found the opportunity to read a line or two from one book, I would take it without second guessing.
Cassandra Clare has this ability to bring the characters into real life.
Not to mention the sci-fi/fantasy twist to theme of the stories which is a plus to those who enjoy reading books labeled in this category.
Cassandra Clare has now become one of my top favorite authors aside from J.R.R Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Anne Rice, Stephenie Meyers, C.S. Lewis and many more.
I will tell you that these books are a must read.
Read it!
Trust me. You won't regret it.