Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

The Name of the Wind
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on November 27, 2015
Here's the thing you should really get about this book: Patrick Rothfuss can *write*. He's clever and knows how to turn a phrase. He narrates in such a way that the destination -- which, since the book is told in flashback, you already know -- is not as important as the journey. The plot does not move quickly or predictably, and yes, there are many "slow" spots that other readers have criticized as unimportant. But to me I just wanted to know what was going on with the characters, and didn't really care how long it took to get there. This book, and especially the next, are long novels that meander through various rich landscapes and characters, never hurrying to reach any notable crux. It's a good read first and foremost.

However, readers should be warned that, at this time, the third book in the series is not yet published and there is no publication date. Apparently Rothfuss is methodical, and doesn't churn out novels at as rapid a pace as other authors, so it may yet be a while before the series is resolved with a third (and possibly a fourth) book. I don't mind that there is more to look forward to, although of course it is hard to wait.
22 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 15, 2018
This novel immediately throws you into a mysterious kingdom where dark creatures/forces exist, the rule is just as lawless as the roads it reigns over, and the people and its lands struggle to survive. The story centers around a tavern and the barkeep ('Kote') that owns it, who you come to understand is locally unrecognized yet the "hero" he once was is a highly celebrated legend. His anonymity maintains until a traveling scribe comes upon him and determines to write the legend's story. So, that is where the series really begins as the barkeep recalls his beginnings and the journey that turned him into the fabled figure he came to be known as but also debunking some of the myths along with it. The story lives in his past but occasionally flashes back to the present, to reflect and to highlight his struggle to reconcile against who he has now become.

Patrick Rothfuss does well to captivate you with the main character, who I often found myself likening to a Harry Potter-esque protagonist, in that he capitalizes on his strengths and "games" his way through his deficiencies to overcome obstacles as well as rebel against unjust institutions. The emphasis of this telling is more about the evolution of the character than just magic and spells, which exist but often remain an aside as the author creates this universe.

My main knock, as others have pointed as well, is that the author often draws out certain plot points and aspects of the main character's development well beyond the point of relevance. The story is intended to be a gradual build into the present, but even as the pacing picks up the author will just as quickly bog you down with repetition of the same events to hammer in a point already thoroughly made.

The book remains an intriguing tale and absolutely worth the read, but one that requires patience as you grow with the main character.
on March 30, 2017
I am not usually a fantasy fan, but read this book on the advice of a friend and was immediately sucked in. The book does contain some fantasy (magical spells and a school for wizardry) but the focus is much more on character development and there is a marvelous sense of humor that pervades the novel without ever making things silly. And there are also many thoughtful sentences/paragraphs that make you stop and think. Am about to buy the next book from this author.
on September 12, 2017
****AUDIBLE NARRATION REVIEW

I do not usually tend to read books such as "The Name Of The Wind". I am more of a historical romance kinda gal. My husband happened to be browsing ebooks and the last thing I knew, this gem was popping up as "based on your shopping history" type thing. I started reading the reviews and debated... for a couple days. I LOVE to read but don't rarely get the chance with young children these days. I decided I was going to buy the book. I then splurged for the audible narration as well!!!

That said, many reviews debate over which narrator they preferred. The version I got was with Nick Podehl. I thought he did a wonderful job with this story. He uses different voices for different characters and is consistent. I enjoyed listening to him narrate Rothfuss' masterpiece.

The story itself took me a little bit to get into... about the first 6-7 chapters. I actually ended up re-reading them to make sure I was following along. This book contains MANY details and characters to follow (worth paying attention to). After I was able to grasp the beginning the rest of the story unfolded beautifully! I already had the second purchased and downloaded (audible narration included) before I was finished.

This book is LONG! I not ONCE lost interest. At places I (almost) teared up, I got angry and I actually laughed out loud... many times! I am truly pleased with this purchase and look forward to reading more from Patrick! Well done and thank you for the greatest story I've read in years! BRAVO P. Rothfuss!
on October 3, 2017
Wonderful 10th anniversary edition! Just love it.
review imagereview imagereview image
on July 5, 2017
Mark my words, this book will go down in the annals as one of the greatest-ever fantasy novels. Recommended by a friend, I breezed through it on first read. But when I was finished, I found myself thinking what a phenomenal story I had just read. I missed so much by not taking it seriously the first time around. So, I turned to page 1 and read it from front to back again. It was even better the second time. It's the first time in 50 years of reading novels I've done that. What makes it so special? In recent years my opinion is that too much of this genre is written for children and young adults. This story will satisfy the most discerning reader. It's beautifully written. It's full of well-crafted, memorable characters. The setting has just the right amount of "other world" while still being familiar. The story is a page-turner. You may start this read, as I did, wondering what's going on. It moves from present day to recollection. Being dense, it took me a while to figure out that the recollection is the story. The present day is the backdrop. I ramble on. No matter whether this genre is one you like, you will like this book.
on November 25, 2017
When Ursula K. Le Guin praises a writer for his use of language, that should catch your attention. And it did, and I bought this book, the first in the trilogy called the "Kingkiller Chronicle," and then it sat on my shelf for I don't know how long.

Embarrassing, really.

Because I finally pulled it down last week and she is so right. The language sings; it dances; it occasionally juggles and tumbles...

This is an extraordinary book. The fantastic world has the sense of deep history all too often lacking in fantastic worlds, the kind of history that isn't just there to motivate the story but exists on its own terms, for itself. The writing is clear and precise and often beautiful. The characters are real; more, they are unpredictable yet choate, the way real people are. And did I mention the writing? I did? Oh, okay. I'll shut up about it then.

What's it all about then?

To begin with, this is no Tolklone, nor is it a wannabee Harry Potter or Earthsea - though much of the action _does_ take place in a University for "arcanists," it's much more like a real university than either Rowling's or Le Guin's schools. It is not about a Parlous Quest. It is very much a coming-of-age story; at the end of seven hundred odd pages, our hero (Kvothe, by the way, is his name) has barely gotten himself to the age of sixteen.

Oh, yes, "gotten himself" requires some explaining. Kvothe's story is a tale-told-in-an-inn. But it's a tale barely squeezed out of Kothe, the innkeeper who was once Kvothe. And the frame story is not trivial; it is fraught with current and immediate dangers. The roads are not safe. To this inn comes Chronicler, who wants to collect Kvothe's story. At his request, and with some urging from Kvothe's student, Bast, a fae, Kvothe tells his tale.

It is the tale of a boy raised by his parents, wandering showpeople, with the help of the arcanist Abenthy ("Ben"). Then, when he is twelve, the entire caravan is slaughtered and young Kvothe barely escapes alive. He spends the next few years barely surviving - first in the woods, then on the streets and rooftops of the city called Tarbean, itself a complex and lively place.

Finally he emerges from his isolation and applies to the University - where, amazingly, he is taken in, and uniquely so, with a negative tuition for his first term. He makes friends. He makes enemies. He breaks the rules and is quite severely punished. He meets "The Woman," Denna, a figure who becomes more mysterious the better Kvothe gets to know her.

And that's pretty much the story so far. Kvothe wins some competitions, becomes a hero a few times, survives attempts on his life, and so on.

But saying that is like saying that _Moby-Dick_ is eight hundred pages of sailing around looking for a whale, with three short chapters at the end where they actually catch up with it. It's true, but misleading. It's all the stuff, the small adventures, the characters, the incidents, the diversions and discursions, in short, the Stuff in it, that make _Moby-Dick_ a great book. And _The Name of the Wind_ is full of Stuff.

And did I mention the use of language?
on September 26, 2016
Now, this is storytelling. Not a story meant to get you hooked, use typical plot devices to keep you engaged, and then end it. This was the beginning of an epic story and I loved it. I had pretty high expectations as it's one of the highest rated fantasy books out there and I've heard great things. It wasn't as wow-worthy as Sanderson's Mistborn series, but it was great in its own way. It had a lot of...atmosphere? Parts of it felt like Harry Potter, with a school setting, quirky professors, story arcs with side characters, magic, etc. And the characters were interesting, even if Kvothe was a bit of a Gary Sue in that he happened to be good at everything. But it's a story about a legend, so who cares! The writing was great, too, not too dense, and just descriptive enough.

Anyway, definitely recommend this for those who enjoy Harry Potter, magic, well-built worlds and characters, and good storytelling.
on July 18, 2017
I wanted to get into this... kept waiting for something to happen that sucked me in... but it never did. The main character is an arrogant brat who, by the end of the book, I just kept rolling my eyes at and getting annoyed with. You never get close enough to any other characters to feel any sort of attachment to them. The main character was too busy trying to show how clever he was to make any real attachments.

In general, I prefer stories with more description than this book gives. It felt odd at times because through most of the book there was little to no description but then we'd suddenly get thrust into an exhaustive dialogue about something that did little to add to the story. It was almost like the author decided he wanted to show off how much he knew about a topic. It never flowed smoothly.
on October 13, 2017
Generally, I do not read Fantasy (albeit I devoured The Hunger Games series!). BUT, I was in the mood for a different genre, saw my brother-in-law reading the book, and asked what he thought? He gave a thumbs up, so, I went for it. Boy, am I glad I did! Rothfuss is a "prosetic" writer--a word I dreamed up that describes both the author's elegant prose and gorgeous poetry skills. Of course, there's the plot, the protagonist and the "supporting cast," along with the evocative imagery, the setting, the absorbing time period...do you get the idea I could go on and on? I just started the second book in this Chronicle: The Wise Man's Fear. I've become completely embroiled in the fantastic world Patrick Rothfuss has created. I look forward to going there every single day!