Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,470 reviews
on March 30, 2017
If you've already watched the movie, you'll love how much 'extra' is in the book. Incredible to think that there may be people like the Xs, and that they actually live lives like this. God help the next generation.
on December 31, 2012
When this book first came out, I had wrongfully brushed it aside as just another fluffy nanny story filled with slapstick humour about how the nanny would maneuver between her job of caring for the child, her work relationship with her employers i.e. the child's parents (which might include an over-friendly father) and her own personal life. Some events would happen that complicated all of the above, but somehow the nanny would be able to save the day, snagged the typical charming boyfriend, and everyone would have a happy ending.
Fast forward a few years later after I had finally decided to read this book, I realised how wrong I was - there was nothing fluffy about this story.

The writers did a good job in conveying the story as it flowed fluently and the characters were written in a way that made me feel for them.
As for the romantic plotline regarding Harvard Hottie, I felt that there wasn't enough material written about Nanny's relationship with him. The biggest relationship was really the one between Nanny and little Grayer.

Nanny tried to do her very best in sheltering Grayer from his parents' apparent lack of interest, and attempting to provide his life with some stability and normality.
I hoped against all hope that she would be able to do something to make the Xes came to their senses and appreciate what a wonderful child Grayer was. However, I acknowledged that there wasn't a lot that Nanny could do; afterall, she was only a young student with limited life experience.

If I could only use 1 word to describe how I feel when reading this book, it would have to be 'helpless' -

I felt helpless reading about little Grayer always being brushed aside by his parents instead of getting all the love and attention that he so deserved;

I felt helpless reading about Nanny's incapability in dealing with Mrs X who was so much more experienced and manipulative that she unknowingly got sucked into the latter's drama;

I felt helpless by the way the book ended - Nanny was removed from Grayer's life so abruptly, with no goodbye.

By the end of this book, I come to realise that I could never work as a nanny because I would be too emotionally attached to the child. It was heart-breaking the way Nanny was fired from her job without a chance to say goodbye to Grayer, and also when she broke down at the end of her rant into the nanny-cam.

Overall, this was a good and heartfelt story.

But I would turn to the movie version when I wanted to have a better closure and happier ending to the story.
on January 10, 2006
THE NANNY DIARIES begins with a bang of achievement. Despite two authors, it launches the firm, singular voice of its young narrator and sustains it throughout her account of working as a nanny for Manhattan's affluent elite. In no time, our narrator, whose name is only given as "Nanny," is kicking up some social satire with often funny, dead-on impressions of the values, speech and methods of operation of the uppercrust. That the authors, Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus, based it on their own experiences as nannies certainly lends it a gossipy, roman a clef air that is borne out by tales of friends and a relative of mine who have attempted childcare or educational careers in that circle. In the predatory, slaveholding ethos of the very rich, nannies must be less than human and cease their usefulness when their humanity is asserted.

There are some flaws that prevent the book from being better than it is. The first and most serious can't be helped: the authors are good enough to portray the pathos of the little kids who are being run over by their parents' ambitions and neglect. The fact sits there like a lump in your stomach as the narration prattles on in a "lite" chick lit tone about how badly Mr. & Mrs. X--how the employers are identified--are treating Nanny. The trajectory of satire loses altitude past a certain point when it devolves into one turn of bad behavior after the next. One of the most knowing moments early in the book occurs when Nanny has an unpleasant encounter with wealthy frat boys at a bar: they are the product of parents like the Xes. You realize, this could well be the future of that sweet little boy in Nanny's charge. But then the authors undercut that with a meet-cute subplot about a boyfriend from the same stratosphere.

It's kind of like the authors bought the architecture of Edith Wharton as a teardown and replaced it with a particle board palace.
on September 16, 2003
Most of the reviewers have given a wonderful synopsis of the book, so I won't do that. What I will do is tell you that, yes, there are people like the Xs in this world. When Nanny describes the "spatula", I recognized it immediately, having seen it performed numerous times. I've also known people personally whose attention-starved children behaved exactly like Grayer does - this book was pretty realistic. It breaks your heart when he starts wearing his Daddy's tie just to have a little piece of him.
Nanny is a ridiculous wimp, though. Let's face it - she's young, American, white and a college student. She could have her pick of any nanny job in New York. Anyone else would have run like hell after the first week. But I understand why she stayed on after awhile - she got attached to Grayer. And that was realistic, too. She couldn't bear to see him abandoned by yet another person he loves.
Like many other reviewers, I came away from this book upset and feeling low. But I recommend it, especially for anyone who grew up resentful because they didn't have a rich Mommy and Daddy. See what you were missing. :(
on May 31, 2003
After all the buzz on this book, I was expecting to be blown away. I was expecting the next Bridget Jones' Diary. Wow, was I disappointed. There are so many more worthwhile books out there. Do yourself a favor, and check this one out of the library if you must read it.
This book is, at best, just alright. I can say that it was mildly entertaining and an easy read. The characters were a little sketchy, and I felt I had nothing invested in them. I literally didn't care what happened to them, and by the end I had to force myself to finish the book. Dialogue was a little stiff, scenes should have been thought out some more.
Nanny is in a tough situation, but her solution is easy - she simply chooses not to end it all. I didn't have a lot of respect for her. I also didn't believe her attachment to the child was enough to deal with all of the .... she gets from Mrs. X.
Again, while not a terrible book, it was a disappointment. Check it out from the library and save your money.
on July 22, 2016
I'm sorry, but I couldn't continue reading the unfunny attempts to show the plight of poor Nanny and her degrading tasks. Actually they weren't even that degrading, at least as far as I read. I got through two dress up parties, one to which she was forced to dress like a Telly tubby, the other equally not cute or funny. Dialogue, equally silly, and not in a good way. 2 stars, one for pity
on May 19, 2017
A fun, cute and quick read.
on January 23, 2017
I've probably read this book 20+ times since my sister lent it to me several years ago. It's just one of those comfortable, lovable and relatable books that you want to read again and again. I think I've read it so much because each time it's just as good as the last, it's like visiting an old friend.
on November 3, 2003
The hype on this book kept me at bay initially, thinking it would only be fluff & whimsy, but there is much more here. That said, it is very funny, endearing, & a super read. Meet Grayer a small boy who expresses he's anger the only way a 4-yr old can--hitting, kicking, screaming, sticking his tongue out, etc. When we meet him he is losing a nanny he loves, because of a preceived slight by his mother. Enter Nan, the replacement. The relationship that develops between the 2 of them is dear, funny,& real. The parents, Mr&Mrs X, are so self-absorbed w/ statis & their own pleasures that they pawn, push & relinquish Grayer to Nan. The bond that forms shows what a child can become when given the time of a caring & loving adult. (I will always see "jazz hands" through Nan's eyes.) Because of Nan's love & commitment to Grayer, she puts up w/insults, accusations, & adults running over her & her needs. Grayer's needs are not primary to Mr&Mrs X either, he is a needed accessory that should not interfer w/ their lives. Mrs X "spatulas" him off whenever he runs to greet her. Mr X uses the tried & true method of ignore & keep walking, any adult can out move a toddler. That's why there are nannies, right? Keep the child amused, busy & clean. These elite Manhattan parents rush through their selfish lives dismissing the value of their much needed staffs, while seeking instant gratification through the "right" material trappings and the envy of aquaintances & friends through the right schools, the right vacation spots, the "current correct" restaurant, caterer & "Long-Term Development Consultant" for toddlers! Their view is so insular that all they can hope to raise is one of their own. It broke my heart to think that this special little boy would grow up to be his father.
on July 13, 2015
I thought it was hilarious, beautifully written, and I would reccomend to anyone who's looking for an entertaining book to read. I just feel Harvard hottie needed more time in the book. You never really heard from him at the end. But anywho, definitely one of my favorites and couldn't put the book down!