Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Natural Navigator: The Rediscovered Art of Letting Nature Be Your Guide (Natural Navigation)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

on November 26, 2013
This book will not turn you into a natural navigator after you read it. A s some reviewers wish it would. Rather it is a book that teaches you how to teach yourself to navigate without gps or compass, etc. It takes work, lots of it. And this book shows you how to get there. Its similar to the kamana program. Your not gonna be a naturalist just by buying and reading the material once and thats it. But you WILL if you work the program. Can you learn this stuff else where? Of course you can. But since we bought this book, we obviously are in need of finding this information. To sum it up, the book is excellent, but you have to work hard to get the benefit.
on October 31, 2015
This book is one of my favorite books of all time. This is the stuff you discuss on a camping trip, and despite discussing it at length, no one can quite remember the actual facts and rules of thumb that actually get you through. This is ancient wisdom we have lost. Could you sail across the ocean without modern devices and find your way? Could you hike miles and days through the woods with cloudy skies and find your way? People have done this for literally ever, yet we have all lost this ability in modern times. The usefulness of the stars might have been what originally interested humanity in them, rather than what they really are. Sand dunes, snow drifts, moss, puddles, stars, the sun, and even city buildings can all be used by us to get our bearings. I highlighted this book, then wrote notes in a little carry booklet of my own to take with me. This is invaluable information, all in one place.
on July 17, 2014
this is an incredible book, if you have an interest in the bush or sea and dont want to rely on modern technology then this is for you. i will use this for years, there is so much information contained within these pages
on September 18, 2015
Bought this book for my grandson who is starting in the scouting program. Wanted him to know that navigating in the woods involves more that knowing how to read a compass or GPS device. This book addresses this concept very well.
on May 23, 2015
I enjoy reading books about navigation so I picked this up out of curiosity. The book was written for someone who wants to use EVERY piece of the environment around them to attempt to locate north. Not sure if I would use the sections on wind, moss, and how trees grow but I did find the sections on celestial and solar navigation was interesting.
on July 10, 2016
This is not a procedural book, so if you're looking for "complete step A, then step B, and you'll know where you are" this isn't it.

I am almost ashamed to admit after a lifetime of very amateur astronomy that Gooley says some things about the moon and stars that clicked in my head and changed my perspective on them. That insight alone was worth the price of admission.
on August 3, 2015
The Harold Gatty book, Finding your way without Map or Compass if much, much better. The prose and information in the Gatty book is more engaging and more complete. Also DON'T get the KIndle addition of the Gatty book, the print version is better due to multiple pictures and charts in Finding your Way without Map or Compass.
on July 26, 2014
A very enjoyable book and great to read .learnt some helpful tips a great book from a very good seller.
on June 3, 2014
This is a great book and anyone who leaves their home should read it. The book isn't just about navigating without modern conveniences but about how to observe your surroundings. Situational Awareness will not only allow you to have a deeper appreciation for the world we live in but can help you avoid a threat or hazard even while walking around the neighborhood or driving to the store.
on March 21, 2015
When the book arrived I started opening it to random pages and could not believe how many new, cool things I learned just randomly jumping around. Before I even sat down to read it cover to cover, I had already ordered a copy for my brother.