Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Travel Pillow by Tempur-Pedic
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School STEM

on January 2, 2014
Without this pillow, any time I would begin to fall asleep when sitting upright -- and whether as a passenger in a car, or on a plane -- what would happen is that as soon as my head would begin to 'nod', or otherwise 'go to the side' a bit, the movement would trigger my suddenly waking... and when on a plane, specifically, and on a long flight, this could happen over, and over, and over -- and be incredibly frustrating, and result in no true sleep ever taking place (not even a few minutes of uninterrupted sleep).

Even if I were to slightly recline a given seat or chair, the problem would inevitably come down to my head moving -- and whether 'nodding' down, or to the side, it would result in my waking.

This pillow -- although expensive -- is different enough from any other travel pillow I've tried, to result in my not only being able to sleep when slightly reclined in a seat in a car or on a plane, but is also the ONLY reason that I can sustain uninterrupted, restful sleep while sitting in an upright position.

The firmness of the material is balanced by just enough 'cush' and thickness to the pillow to result in the kind of support I need AND a crucial factor of its being comfortable. It's the perfect pillow for me to sleep 'anywhere', and whether 100% upright, or 100% horizontal -- and no other pillow I've tried even comes close to allowing that for me.

I've purchased several of these pillows for family members -- my parents have them for use if/when in their favorite recliners, to allow for the comfortable option of truly having their head supported if/when sleeping (and one of my parents has a cervical arthritic condition, so this is of even more benefit, in that regard).

Additionally, a completely unexpected use of this pillow was as 'the' 'go to' option, when a sibling of mine needed to be hospitalized for several weeks, due to a difficult pregnancy -- this pillow helped to support her head and neck while confined to a hospital bed, and specifically, the many, many hours she had to stay in a partially upright position. This pillow allowed her to comfortably go in and out of brief multi-minute episodes of sleep, as needed, during the exhausting day-after-day 'routine' of nursing personnel coming into the room at all times of day and night, repeated blood draws, IV changes, bathroom assistance, ultrasounds, fetal heart monitoring, etc. -- anyone who knows a patient who has been in a high-risk obstetrics ward knows how difficult it is for such women to ever get any sleep -- not only due to the various complicated pregnancy -specific conditions which can result in one needing 24/7 care, but also due to the seemingly neverending disruptive aspects associated with a hospital environment, and a closely monitored circumstance.

This pillow was an 'unsung hero' in my sister's pregnancy, and her time spent confined to a hospital bed, as she fought to get through one 24-hour period after another.

As much as I am not a fan of how expensive the Temper-Pedic travel pillow is, I'm aware of the Mastercard-like commercial 'taglines' that would be associated with this product, if/when describing their impact on my and my family's lives --

One Tempur-Pedic Travel Pillow: $79

Round-trip tickets for a trans-continental flight: $450

Hours spent in the airport and on the plane: Too many to count

Being able to sleep on a 5-hour red-eye return, and head to work after landing: Priceless

I've tried other travel pillows, and other they-claim-to-be-a-Tempur-Pedic-'clone' -type pillows, and I have consistently gone with the Tempur-Pedic versions, because there is simply that much of a noticeable difference in quality, and, oh-so-importantly, the nature of the almighty material in question that is key to the functional 'purpose' of the given pillow.

Lastly, if sleeping horizontally, and one happens to only have this pillow available, the way I comfortably utilize it is as follows -- I place my head in the 'hollow' portion of the pillow (after the pillow has been placed on the horizontal surface I'd be sleeping on), and such that the 2 'ends' of the 'horseshoe' shape of the pillow are near my neck -- I never saw this mentioned anywhere, but have 'adopted' this way of using the pillow if/when I have the opportunity to actually lie down (or otherwise 'scrunch myself in half', and lie down on my side, on two adjacent seats in a waiting area of an airport), though have no other pillow with me.

I love this pillow, and while I originally wondered whether it might be 'too firm', I soon understood the importance of the firmness to the 'stabilizing' aspect of its function, and love the 'just right' balance of the 'cushiness' of the pillow with such.

I could practically weep, out of profound relief, when I begin any 'journey into slumber' while sitting upright -- this pillow has resulted in (among so much else) my no longer dreading multi-hour late-night flights, or being a passenger in a car during a double-digit-hours -long drive. This pillow is a godsend.
on September 3, 2015
I travel regularly and was very disappointed with this pillow. The biggest problem is the ergonomics. The back of the pillow is so thick that it tends to push my head forward which ensures a stiff neck if I can fall asleep. The memory foam is really too firm and takes time to snuggle down around my neck. Since the pillow does not collapse into a storage bag it is a pain to drag through an airport. There are much better pillows at a far lower price. Check out the Cabeau evolution travel pillow. It's much better at a much lower price.
I just wish I had taken this for the very long overseas flight. The tour gave out inflatable pillows. I got zero sleep on the flight over and absolutely no sleep on the way back. I could KICK myself for not putting this in my carry-on bag. I just thought it took up too much space, but it would have been worth it. It's attractive, or at least as attractive a neck support pillow can be, and very firm. Certainly it would keep your head firmly situated where you want it while traveling. Next time I'll dump something else out of my carry-on bag, but my travel pillow goes with me!
on June 29, 2016
I bought this pillow for my deceased grandmother while she was in hospice. She had no control of her neck muscles anymore so she needed something to help support her neck while she sat up on the bed. She really loved it. I have used this pillow now since her passing and I have to say this is the most comfortable travel pillow ever. Washable, too.
on August 16, 2012
I bought this pillow for travel and have taken it with me where ever I go. I had some problems with my neck and back so I decided to sleep with it at home. OMG... I do not sleep with any other pillow. I sleep with a wedge and then this pillow and I have no more problems. I tried once without it and suffered greatly. I recommend it, it is worth the money.
on February 28, 2016
I have several of these pillows throughout the house and they are used by everyone in the family, They are a bit hard at first but soften up quickly over time. I have had one of them for over 10 years now and it still looks and feels great. We absolutely love them!
on December 13, 2015
I really tried and gave it about 5 long flights from St. Louis to California. Every time my neck is killing me. This is too darn hard is all there is to it and it doesn't allow a good angle in domestic coach or 1st Class seats. This one cocks my head forward and physically strains my neck, no cushion or plushness to sink into. My cheapo blow up vinyl pillow never did this to me. I love my Tempurpedic sleep mask but this Travel Pillow has to go. Don't spend $80 for a torture pillow.
on June 3, 2016
Definitely the most comfortable travel pillow I've tried. I had an old one purchased from Brookstone many years ago and have since tried several different types of travel pillows which didn't provide the firm support and close cradling of my neck that this one does. So glad it's still available. I ordered a second one for my husband too.
on March 15, 2015
Not a huge fan of this one. I have a great one from airport. Ligbt. Wait and comfortable. Husband wanted one to use in bed after surgery, also to take on planes. Does not really conform to neck.very heavy. Not for travel.
on January 6, 2012
This is an excellent pillow. It's firm and comfortable. I not only travel with it, but I also use it at home when I'm watching TV. It's so comfortable I have fallen asleep many times when I use it while watching TV. I would have given it 5 stars, but the one complaint I have is that it's a little too smug around my neck. It took a little time getting used to something that tight around my neck. Otherwise it's exactly what I was looking for.