Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 146 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 244 reviews
on July 9, 2017
This book was full of suspense to the very end. I was surprised by the ending. The trauma someone experiences with being held captive. What a living nightmare that is. It happens much more than we know. The characters all dealt with it in their own way. At times, tears streamed down my face as I got caught in their emotions. What a great plot! I have never read a book from this author...I wonder if there is a sequel?!
on December 21, 2015
There is a difference between mysteries and thrillers. Generally in a mystery you have a puzzle, a who dunnit. A thriller, you know who did the crimes. Its can you stop the bad guy from killing more in a thriller. This book gets you hooked like a thriller does. I haven't read a book so fast in ages, just two days. But it is also a mystery, more than one bad guy. The surprises keep coming right to the end. If thrillers and mysteries are your thing, buy this book for sure.
on December 27, 2014
Although it's not the kind of fiction I would generally pick up, once I got into the book I couldn't put it back down. Each page I turned I was afraid of what would happen on the next page but, like watching a car crash, I couldn't take my eyes away. The poor main character was in so much danger that I feared for her life at several turns. There were a couple of times when I thought, no, this is too much. Her incentive for being here isn't enough to be making these bad decisions. And yet somehow there she was. Parts of the book had logical and unexpected surprises. All in all, it was a good/unpleasant read. I can't recommend it for everyone, but if you like books where the herione puts herself into unneccessary danger out of misguided loyalty to a friend, and if you can stomach scenes of S&M, B&D, and Brainwashing techniques, maybe this is the book for you.
on July 25, 2013
Long time best friends Sarah and Jennifer have created a "never list" "a list of actions to be avoided, for safety's sake, at all costs." However, one night that all changes when both girls are kidnapped by a sadistic, psychopath named Jack. Sarah along with some other girls wakes up in the cellar. Jennifer wakes up in the box. Fast forward to 13 years or 10 years after Sarah escapes and Jennifer was never found. Jack who has been in prison for ten years (is now up for parole). Jack is also now taunting his surviving subjects with notes from prison.

The book centers around the women in the cellar, the dulling boredom of spending days chained to a wall and the terrifying and disgusting acts forced upon each woman. The reader keeps wondering what happened to Jennifer? Is she dead or is she walking around out in the world--a brainwashed zombie? Also you wonder how did this psychopath (now in prison) become such a monster? How did the women escape? I have to say there were parts of the book that disgusted me so you have to have a strong stomach to read this. It scared me but at the same time, it kept me reading. I would have given this book 5 stars but there were some minor things that were missing.

The author never says if all the women tortured were raped as well? The book doesn't even go there yet the women are constantly chained and naked.
Too much glamorization on the S&M community--I felt like the woman Professor (I can't remember her name) was a disgusting pig yet she is talked about several times as being attractive. I think we needed her to be put down a peg or two.
on September 5, 2013
I had a hard time in rating this book. Maybe I expected more than I found between the pages. Sarah, or Caroline as she answers to now, relates the story of her kidnapping 13 years ago. She, in the breadth of the book, is trying to find out where her friend, Jennifer, who was kidnapped along with her, is buried. The storyline hops between the days/nights spend in the kidnapper's cellar, along with Tracy and Christine, prisoners also. Then back to the future with Tracy and Christine also. Sarah keeps flying back to Portland, Oregon from the East Coast (where does she get all the ready cash to do this!) and trying to tie up loose ends along the way. I loved spending time with her when she was a prisoner, and even in the present time there are good action scenes. But, I thought there was something missing to make it a good and suspenseful story.Maybe too many people were involved in the storyline, Such as the elusive Sylvia, Dr. Simmons, therapist, Agent Jim, Jack Derber, Adele, Noah Philben, Ray and Val, David Stiller, Scott Weber, and, of course, Sarah/Caroline who manages to fall into one bad scenario after another, even though she had been warned by Agent Jim to go home and let the police do their work! Well, guess I will pick out another mystery to read and hope I fare better with that one.
on March 17, 2017
Even if only a part of this could be true, we should all be scared for o ur children!! Evil lurks and preys on the weak! I was enthralled by the story and truly scared for our society!
on August 19, 2013
10 years after escaping from the man who held Sarah and other girls captive in his cellar for 3 years, their captor is up to be released from prison. Sarah goes on a mission to find evidence that will keep him locked away for the rest of his life. This basic storyline and intermittent glimpses of what those girls endured during those years being held captive – mental, physical, and sexual abuse and torture – all of that makes for riveting reading.

I had two huge problems with the book. 1) Sarah ran around posing as a reporter doing a story on the man who kidnapped and tortured her and the other girls. She used a fake name when interviewing people, but these were people who studied and/or had a vested interest in the case. I find it very difficult to believe that none of these people recognized her as one of the victims. 2) Sarah was under protective custody with the FBI for much of the story and yet she easily eluded them time and time again to sneak out on her own searching for the answers she sought.

The book did have a nice twist at the end (three pages from the end) and I did like the basic storyline, so I’m giving it 2 ½ stars.
on November 22, 2013
Sarah and Jennifer had a "Never List" of actions that was supposed to keep them safe. One night though, they are abducted and thrown into a basement with two other abducted girls.

My skin crawled the entire book. I mean, I was thoroughly engaged from the very beginning and felt the tension build throughout the entire story. I didn't need to have every detail of the torture that was inflicted on the captive girls. The glimpses that were given were enough to get my imagination started.

As Sarah tries to keep her abductor in jail, she stumbles on evidence and connections that I didn't see coming. You are never quite sure who the bad guys are and up until the end, and I at least (compare to other reviewers) didn't see the twist at the end coming. I would strong recommend it.
on October 10, 2014
This book is very intense. It is not for the faint of heart. The characters are very likeable. The plot was excellent. This book discusses BDSM, Secret Societies, and Abnormal Psychology.

The plot was very believable. It seems there are more true crime cases in the past few years that expose Dungeons and other torture rooms. BDSM is a taboo subject. When BDSM is discovered by a twisted sociopath, this can happen. People like to stereotype people involved in the lifestyle but in reality it could be anyone from the boy next door or a Minister.

I loved the book. I couldn't stop reading it. I will buy more books from this author.
on September 25, 2013
When I read some of the glowing reviews from magazines and other authors about this book, I had to think they had read something else. Okay, I'm not a weirdo, but it would have helped me to better sympathize with the main character if I had a better idea of what she had been through while held captive. As it was, I could not get into her head at all. Further, I could not believe that someone who had been holed up in their apartment for who knows how long could just up and travel all over hell's half acre looking for.... well, I was never sure just what she was looking for. It also would have helped if I had been able to read some of the letters that kept arriving from the kidnapper. That at least would have told me what was freaking her out currently.
Never really felt the connection between Sarah and the other girls, could not believe that she could suddenly turn into a master detective - what life experiences gave her those skills? In the end, Tracey suddenly starts accusing her of selling out to Jack and of being present watching Tracey on the rack. Where did that come from? Seriously bad, in my opinion. I stopped reading this mess several times but finally got through it to see if it was bad all the way through. It was. Don't bother!