BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on June 7, 2011
With the help of this book I was able to personally install a 350 gallon per week groundwater system for just under $500 complete with multiple diverters to two growing beds and a surge tank. The authors really have certainly done their homework on the topic and really helped me also understand what kind of soaps and detergents actually HELP my plants and which ones I should absolutely avoid with my new system.
on March 1, 2015
You can't be self sufficient just on the supply side. You can't say you are self sufficient until you have both sides covered.
We've heard a wearying amount of haranguing about the amount of pollution we're expected to be responsible for, when in fact it is the centralized government mandated processing facilities that turns our perfectly good raw fertilizers into waterway poisons. Grey water is especially appropriate for feeding the soils that feed us, yet it's taken from us, chemically burned and dumped where it does not belong, in the limited fresh water supplies, which we are supposed to feel guilty for. We need to take this valuable resource back. How?
This book "treats" the "disposal" side by showing you how to close the circle on the disposal end by converting it back into a supply.
Just as composting recycles your organic solid wastes back into fertilizer, grey and black water systems do the same for liquid "waste".
Grey water, everything that does not come from the toilet, is a separate, and much safer, easier "waste" water to treat and reuse at home versus the nasty black water that cannot be safely used directly on food crops. This title deals with it brilliantly, not only with technical expertise, but also in style, as it shows many stylistic ways the system can be disguised to look like an oasis garden, and even addresses the thorniest problems independence minded people face today, the meddlesome bureaucratic esthetics, health and zoning codes.
You need this book, not only to reclaim your valuable nutrient laden effluent, but to reclaim some of your freedom with it!
The fertilizer your new system will make is fertilizer you no longer have to buy, nor have to pay to have taken from you.
on January 14, 2016
Lots of great information, making it relatively accessible for the layperson. A couple oversights: the book makes heavy use of "mulch basins" which is a wonderful concept. But it offers no guidelines for sizing them relative to your output... simply "large enough" which is totally unhelpful. Also it discusses only one plant zone, the one the author lives in. Plants for other climates are given nearly no consideration, nor is there much planning for areas that might freeze (much of the USA and world). Overall it really is a great resource, but could be the gold standard with a little more research (or even pointers on where to find this info).
on September 26, 2016
This is a really good book and a must read if you want to implement a grey water system. It's packed with good info. I implemented a grey water reuse system after reading it and I'm really happy with it. My current system uses the water from my shower and kitchen sink to irrigate my fruit trees and flower garden. In the summer it gets quite hot and the plants really need the water. I honestly feel so happy when I'm showering knowing I'm watering my plants. When I have to travel and I'm using a regular shower I feel bad because it seems so crazy to waste all that good water. I'm planning to add my washing machine, then I will feel even better. Great book and thanks to the author for sharing all the info in the book.
VINE VOICEon April 25, 2013
I borrowed several greywater books from the library and this was by far the best of the lot. I liked it so much I bought a copy for myself after having already read the borrowed copy.

This is a great ideas book. It shows you many different styles of greywater systems, including real systems in use. It also gives you enough information to build most of them. It is well written and easy to understand. There are lots of pictures and diagrams. I was particularly impressed with branch drain and with radical plumbing. The one shortcoming is that if you want to build an expensive sprinkler distribution system to water your lawn with greywater the details in this book are inadequate on their own. I get the feeling the author included this type of system reluctantly because he doesn't like the design.

If you are planning on adding a greywater system I highly recommend this book.
on October 3, 2013
this is a really good book for many people. he has great ideas for simple and then not so simple projects. he goes into great detail so if you are a do-it-yourselfer i think you could probably use this book as a lone resource for adapting greywater usage to your home. on the flip side of that note, sometimes the detail can make for a more cumbersome read. i partnered this book with a few others - Gaia's Garden a guide to home scale permaculture by Toby Hemenway and Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond volumes 1 and 2 by Brad Lancaster. These are also great books and complement each other. Gaia's garden was an especially quick and fun read for me. If you are serious about utilizing greywater then i would strongly recommend these other books, or similar, as they really give you a good idea of what to actually do with the harvested water once you have it.
on March 20, 2017
An excellent read: full of common sense, it will help you to determine how extensive you would want your greywater system to be. For tiny housers, less is definitely more unless you're parking on farm land with lots of citrus trees!
on February 5, 2016
This was not the how-to guide I expected it to be. It was some technical information, a few ideas, and some illustrations. This book will not take you step-by-step through how to set up a grey-water system. It just gives you the general idea which you could get just as easily by googling "greywater systems".
on September 14, 2013
I was really hoping to get more details, especially about making a pond which would clean up the grey water. He gave a lot of good reasons to take grey water seriously, but I would have liked to see more about how I could do more complicated things myself. Most of what I was interested in he is suggesting that I contact a local contractor.
on May 23, 2017