Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on September 27, 2009
The New Global Student is a great book that inspires you to forget fears and step out into exciting world of opportunity. Many times we are paralyzed with doubt and uncertainty, believing that a global experience will be too dangerous or what we won't be able to handle the pressures. Maya Frost deals with these issues saying that the emotion cost is real, you have to let go and you will have difficultly, but the overwhelming majority of people who take that leap of faith land and say, "That was so worth it." She also gives great tips as to how to get ahead of the game and snagging extra college credit to enter college as a sophomore or even a junior at age 18.

Currently I am 22 years old and a college student at a private institution in Michigan. Though this book is geared for High School students and their parents, it is a great resource for anyone. I was shocked to find out that when I was dealing tired of High School and desperately wanted to get out after my junior year, but was stuck finishing out an almost pointless year, I had other options. I could have skipped my senior year and been catapulted into a more rewarding college experience. Thankfully, Frost's advice doesn't stop for High School students. The stories she shared of other students who cross the American board into the great beyond have blown away my fear of the unknown and made me hungry for a global challenge. Now, largely because of her book, I am getting ready for a semester abroad in South Korea.

Whether you are a Middle School, High School, or College age student, or a parent you have a lot to benefit from by reading this book. Don't get stuck in the herd but be inspired to break ranks and fly by reading Maya Frost's "The New Global Student".
on May 27, 2017
Good content, cheesy narration and writing.
on July 10, 2011
WOW! This is a MUST-READ for parents, high school students, and college students! With so many people getting that fancy paper called the degree and trapped down by loans - what do we do? In the words of Maya Frost, we go 'BOLD-SCHOOL'!!! This book shows you how to get creative, get the education you want, get a degree with no debts, and see the world while you're at it! Personally, I will be a college student this year and reading this book is the light at the end of the tunnel for me! I have something to look forward to!

Also, while I was reading the book, I even e-mailed Maya through her website, which is [...]. I e-mailed her for advice, as I'm an aspiring artist and I want to travel. She responded! AND with probably some of the best advice I've gotten! She is shedding light unto students like myself, who have become drained and tired of this American school system, which consists of too much competition for a measly, number, such as the SAT's , instead of personal growth!

I thank Maya so much and her beautiful family for inspiring me and for have written this book for all of us out there with dreams
VINE VOICEon August 31, 2009
This is a very intriguing book with plenty of useful information regarding how to get started either traveling with your family or sending your children abroad. It also explains in great detail why that might be a good thing. The author and her husband met through International travel and raised four beautiful daughters while living in several different countries. They build a very strong case for the benefits of joining the world culture via travel and International living and learning (at least) a second language. The book is a mixture of first person accounts by Maya, her family members, and several of their traveling acquaintances.

Some of the book's advice will apply to those who stay at home as well as those who travel. The author urges teens to consider community college as a method of fast forwarding high school and avoiding the pressure of SATs and ACTs.

I would have appreciated more detailed information about all four of the Frost children and what they are doing now- the case studies that really wowed me all featured people outside their family. Most information on the Frost kids was about their experiences during high school and college. Still, this book has really opened my eyes to what we may be missing, and given me much to consider. I'm holding onto it, just in case my husband has a change of heart...
on December 26, 2013
A must for parents of smart kids & any high schoolers finding they have lost their love of learning. Maya gives hope in a very readable way that there are so many options & we don't have to go through the system just because there's a system. She shows and inspires the many different paths to learning, without any judgement that there is a 'right way.' Only that the 'wrong way' is one that leads to a dulling of our passion for life & learning.

I wish I could have read something like this when I was bored and jaded with school.
on June 5, 2013
If you are looking for a book that will encourage you to imagine a bigger and better education for your child, one that costs less and steps way outside the box, then GET THIS BOOK. If you are willing to walk your own best path and not follow the pack then this book will give you confidence to do just that. Maya Frost has done a great deal of research, has walked the walked and offers sound advice to parents who are afraid to "mess up" their child's chances of getting into the college of their choice and having a career of their choice by doing things "differently". I am so grateful to her.
on February 15, 2010
We purchased this book, because the Florida Rotary Club recommended for their exchange students and families. It wasn't great it was awesome. Our daughter is going to France and its full of information for the parents, students, extended family, friends and beyond. It actually helps parents beleive they are doing a great thing by supporting the decision to get an education outside of the only thing we know. Not only does it a take a really special young adult to say they want to go to school for a year in a strange land, but it takes super parents and a support system. The student is so excited, but nervous and this book gave us the comfort level I needed to prepare our daughter. Bravo and we'll get back to you in about a year to compare notes.
on September 22, 2009
This book conveys a positive and enthusiastic message about taking control of your child's education. The array of choices out there for a global path to education is truly dizzying, and Maya does a great job of presenting some of these options. It truly is limited only by your imagination. I do agree with some of the criticisms in previous reviews that the author does seem to submit that the only path to a global education is study abroad/living abroad. However, there is nothing wrong with having a vision, and introducing a technique that was so obviously beneficial for your family. Maybe this path is for you and your family, and maybe it is not, but at the very least, it provides inspiration for introducing choices to your child's education.
on July 16, 2009
This is a great book which I wish I had read two years ago as my son is just about to start his junior year in High School. The ideas in this book are unconventional and caused me to look at MY own motives (fego) for supporting the "Old School" path for my kid. The book also gave me a great way to start a conversation with my son and gain new insight into HIS desires for education, and more importantly, the values he has in general. So read this book, and discuss it with your family. Regardless of the decisions you make after reading it, you will at least know that there are lots of options and that you are free to choose amongst them. Thanks to everyone in the Frost family for sharing!
on June 26, 2009
Wonderful resource! Maya Frost has something here. The New Global Student creatively and strategically outlines how we no longer must cave to the traditional four by four years of high school followed by college plan. She gives many examples,including her own four children, who have taken a creative, personalized and more global educational path to lead them to wonderful careers that they truly love, and with no debt! She'll make you really think about the traditional "Old School" ways and seriously consider "New School" practices. I can't wait to start with my own family. I highly recommend her book.