Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The New New Rules: A Funny Look at How Everybody but Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 139 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 14, 2011
I pre-ordered this for my Kindle over a month ago and it was auto-delivered last night. I was only going to read a few pages before dozing off, but the book was too good to put down, I ended up reading it for hours.

This book is hysterically funny and full of insights. It consists of "new rules" he's performed on his show and others he hasn't. It also includes many of the "editorials" he does on his show at the end of "new rules." These are the longer new rules he uses to explore and comment on issues he cares deeply about - and gets us to care about, too, while making us laugh until we pee our pants.

I've sometimes been disappointed in books by my favorite comedians; just because someone knows how to use the medium of television or the stage effectively doesn't mean they can write a good book. I'm happy to tell you that's not a problem here. (At least not in the first 2/3 of the book - we'll see if Bill can close the deal). He knows how to use the written medium very effectively. If you like his show or stand-up specials, I'm pretty confident you will love this book.

One last thing: Bill has a lot of material on politics and social issues. But please be assured, you don't have to agree with his politics to love this book. Much of it is apolitical observations about the funny or ironic things in life. And when he does include political and social commentary, he makes it so funny that you'll truly "LOL" even if you have a different opinion than him.

Highly recommended. But don't take my word for it. You can read the first chapter online for free and decide for yourself.

And be sure you don't skip the preface - it's a riot!
66 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2011
I got this book delivered this morning by the local delivery company after pre-ordering it a while ago. Amazon is great about getting pre-ordered books to you on the day of release and they didn't let me down this time.

I opened the book at about 11am and didn't put it down until I finished it just before dinner. I have to say I laughed out load on nearly every page, which is quite a rarity for me. Maher simply has an amazing way about him when it comes to his commentaries. He has the ability to seize the essence of a situation, find the humor and then make fun of the subject from all sides.

The book contain numerous "New Rules" including some that never aired for various reasons, and longer essays that have all aired previously. Since I don't get the network his show is on, this is a great way to catch up on his humor. Some of the common subjects he writes about are politicians, Americans and food, airlines and airplane behavior as well as a host of other varied subjects.

While some of the "Rules" are a tad dated, the book is still spot on target and very funny. Even the preface was completely funny and well worth reading. If you like political comedy, especially from someone who spares no one,then this book will be perfect for you!
on November 27, 2011
This book is worth the purchase price. It's witty and full of laugh-out-loud moments. There is at least one laugh per page. I have never laughed so much reading a book, including joke books. Many of his commentaries are so spot on that you wish all the Powers-That-Be in Washington could be that insightful.
on October 6, 2012
Bill Maher follows up his excellent book New Rules with an even better sequel entitled "The New New Rules: A Funny Look at How Everybody but Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass." If the title does not give it away, the book features the humorous, sarcastic and outrageous bits from Maher's "New Rules" segment on his HBO show where the comedian gives suggested new rules for society from the serious to the mundane nonsense to the goofy. He tackles the hypocrisy and foolishness of politicians and their corporatist to pop culture to the fad of huge sunglasses on young women and the photograph of an odd looking fish that became an internet meme. The book begins with a funny preface that begins rather angrily facetious but then apologizes and introduces the reader to the book.

The book features unused and unseen materials, so even faithful viewers to Maher's show will find new jokes and laughs. Each "new rule" features a related graphic as well as a pun-tastic title. For example, a new rule about overly sweet junk breakfast cereal is called "Bowl Movement." The title "Canned Job" is attached to a new rule about Lysol's killing of 99.9% of germs with their sprays. Does Lysol spare the remainder to serve as a harbinger to tell the other germs of their villages? There is a new rule called "Body Shots": "No more pictures of dead people in their coffins. It's a funeral, not a 'Kodak moment.' I don't want to remember Boris Yelstin on his back, eyes closed and lifeless. I want to remember Boris Yelstin how he lived: on his back, eyes closed and lifeless."

Maher has a brilliant way to putting a frank and sharp critical lens to American society and life. For example, he lays rest to the near-Idiocracy levels of stupidity, superficiality and anti-intellectualism by the media to create and promote shows like "Dancing with the Stars" and then to actually cover it! "If one of your news organization's headlines is about who got kicked off Dancing with the Stars last night, you're no longer a news organization. Sort of like, if you were on Dancing with the Stars last night, you're no longer a star." Maher also tackles the bad habits and binge tendencies of Americans. "New Rule: Food companies must face the facts: One container equals one serving. Look, we're Americans, and that means once we open the bag, there's no stopping us until we're licking stray bits of powdered cheese off the carpet. So stop trying to give us nutritional information based on a fraction of the package. It assumes a talent for two things that we're really not capable of: restraint and math." I don't want to spoil one of my favorite new rules chronicled here called "Binge and Merge." Maher sarcastically proposes new super-holiday that actually sounds like a fairly good idea. Pick up this book to find out what this fictional holiday is about. Maher spreads some truth through satire in the longer bits such as "Senior, Bite Us" about the antiquated obsession with having as many children as possible for our entire lives and "Hype-Ochondria" about the marketing wing of the drug companies.

Through jokes, puns, bon mots and wit, Bill Maher makes every page worth reading. Sometimes controversial, usually politically incorrect but almost always funny, Bill Maher exceeds expectations in this book. I highly recommend this book.
on April 5, 2013
I thought this would be a book to make me laugh, yet I am having a hard time getting in to it and it has not made me laugh yet. When I do read more, I will report back.

July 2013
Since my above review I have read the whole book and truly enjoyed it. It made me laugh and I now give it a five star recommendation. I wish I had waited to give my review of this book until after reading it but Amazon kept wanting me to give my recommendation and I responded too soon.

I rescind my previous review.
on December 24, 2012
I admit - I'm an avid fan of Bill Maher.

Guy is funny and sincere. He speaks about issues as they are, no sugar added. You might like it or not, but facts are facts and he makes them fun!

This book is a collection of some of his NEW RULES. If you've seen the show you already know what they are, if you didn't...WHY YOU DIDN'T??? Go on YouTube or something and check them out!

As a book it works very well, but I miss watching him and seeing his reaction. It adds to the overall experience but even in written form, it is worth having in your collection.

If you're a dumba** creationist or you think that global warming is a fairy tale, this book is written FOR YOU. It will give you insight in truth and eventually, it will raise your IQ and you might start even getting some of the jokes inside. By the 3rd or 4th reading, you should be a proper human being with at least average IQ.

WARNING: Some of following may occur:
* You might lose your religion (it is a good thing, trust me) and became an atheist and/or liberal.
* You might stop buying all the cr*p that you've been fed by Republican party
* You might experience raise in your IQ (as mentioned before). Don't be alarmed, that is also a good thing
* You might want to smoke pot. Dunno if it's good or not, I'm not quite a fan, but hey, Bill has lots of fun :)
* You might laugh quite a lot

In the end, all I can say is that I wish that Bill Maher lives a long and fruitful life and that he finally decides to have some offspring so his genes don't die out. He's too valuable for that.

As for book, BUY IT! :)
on December 5, 2012
I have the first version of this book as well. I love his show, and the New Rules portion is usually my favorite part of the show. This book is a collection of that portion of the show, so if you enjoy it, you will enjoy a look back at the past new rules, which is a like a mini time capsule of what was the headlines at the time.
on March 6, 2014
I have to admit I am "biased" toward Bill Maher. Bill Maher is one of my favorite comedians. He can be quite crass at times, but generally he is just telling it like it is and finding humor in all the political crud there is out there. Lately he doesn't have to look very far, it seems to be everywhere. I tend to agree with Bill on about 95% of the things he says overall. This book is a little bit dated, as all political humor is...but it is still a great book. Maher tends to make you think a little about the things going on in this world, while injecting a little humor into the situation at hand. I would rate this higher for my personal liking, if I were allowed, but if you are just looking for a good, funny read, then here you go.
on November 19, 2013
A no-nonsense, fact oozing, comical book about how Bill Maher sees not just our country's politics, but indeed the details (big and small) of the entire world. It's a great read, whether you're looking for something to wet your liberal willy or just looking for something funny to read (1 of only 2 books to ever make me laugh), this book is what you're looking for. Although, I don't think conservatives will enjoy this: I don't think anyone enjoys having their belief's/attitude's shortcomings revealed to them in the broad daylight of reasonable logic.
on December 3, 2011
One thing this book proves is that when the obituary of the American nation is finally and inevitably written, the historical record will show that from the very beginning only the Satirists have been telling us the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the state of our nation: Mark Twain, Ambrose Bierce, Will Rogers, H.L. Mencken, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Stephen Colbert, John Stewart and now Bill Maher, have all sounded warnings in their own way, and for their own respective times.

The loudest alarm for our times (arguably one of the most troubled times of all for this young nation) can be taken from the gray pages of this book. It is here that Maher leaves his mark on American history by proving to us that he just may be the smartest and most prescient of American Satirist. His selective creations here would be funny only if these were not such serious times and only if his humor did not have such a sharp edge, one that is so deadly accurate that it cuts beyond the white meat literally to the bone.

Maher has looked deeply into the soul of the America nation and is unafraid to tell us what he sees there. And what he sees there is the same thing that we all see but are pretending not to see (and thus are afraid to acknowledge): that our "faith over facts," sexually repressed, warmongering, economically mindless, politically gridlocked, and racist nation is finally in serious trouble. And it is not of the easily "fixable kind of trouble;" but is of the systemic "virtually unfixable" kind. What we are collectively pretending not to know about ourselves (even though it is right before our eyes) is, why the nation we love so has turned right before our own lying eyes into a "chest-beating," "war-mongering," "economically hollowed out," "racist" shell of a Third World country?

In the gray pages of this book, Maher gives us the answer: The reason the American nation is in such trouble is that the "ruling class" has repackaged and then commandeered America's patriotic symbolism and has used it to dumb-down and then to mount and ride the "political class" like a Trojan Horse. That class of political misfits, morally-challenged whores, demagogues and ideologues is now being used to trample the very ground of everything that is meaningful about American culture, values and ideals -- as it makes a beeline straight down the path towards the abyss.

As we saw in 2007-8 in the Ponzi scheme that led to the economic crash, the political whores are being ridden right to the edge of the precipice all in the name of Gorton Gecko level greed; to save the proverbial "job-creator's bottom line." The problem is that, not only is it that the jobs they are creating are all in the Communist Police State of China, but also that there is no bottom to the bottom line. And even if there were a bottom, there is nothing else meaningful beyond the bottom line but blind, empty, random, mindless, inhuman, greed. All we can see as far out into the future as the eye can see, is the once "almighty dollar" now chasing its own tail, as that tail changes right before our eyes into the "almighty Yen."

Maher tells us that we have been divided into two lying subcultures: the dumb and dumber (also known as Republicans and Democrats). The only difference between them is that the Democrats believe the lies that they tell us, while the Republicans, who are infinitely more cynical, do not. In a paroxysm of capitalist greed that feeds only on itself and has no discernable logic, rhyme or reason, the two political parties, thin proxies for the mean-spirited, cynical, greedy and mindless ruling class, have abandoned the notion of a "common good" trading it in for more endless ideologically-based wars: "wars of choice," "wars on terror,"" wars on drugs," "wars on crime," "wars on blacks and the poor," and it has finally come full circle and home to roost as "wars on the white middle class."

The only discernable result of all this warring has been to enrich stateless and loyal-less corporations like Haliburton who, along with the political whores along K-Street running Washington D.C., have helped put the U.S. in hock to a Communist Police state; one that we used to mock and make fun of as being backwards and tyrannical. But all the while we have been beating our chest with our obsolete military hardware, claiming to still be the greatest country on earth, the Communist Police state that we used to mock has proven to be better capitalist than we are. And the best evidence that it is THEY that is emerging as number one, is that they currently hold three trillion dollars of our treasury bonds and thus "the balls" to our capitalistic democratic system in a global economic vise grip.

All Maher is trying to tell us here is that we had better wake up before the Trojan Horse drives right over the edge of the cliff. With limp-wristed moral wimps like Barack Obama on the left, and the eight reactionary stooges running for President on the right, it does not look good for America's long-term survival. It does not look like we are going to be able to stall off our own collective national political suicide. This book is so funny it will make you cry from the inside out, literally. Five Stars
99 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse