Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on September 5, 2017
Aside from a few fairly obvious "how did that manage to get included?" this collection truly delivers the goods. Space Opera as a genre has come into it's own from pulpy beginnings, and is now a staple of SF cutting edge literature. Pick this one up--it won't disappoint.
on March 27, 2014
A mixed bag.

This collection was somewhat spotty for me, some good stories, a number of so-so's and a few duds.

Stories:
16. Cracklegrackle - Justina Robson
17. The Tale of the Wicked - John Scalzi
18. Catastrophe Baker and a Canticle for Leibowitz - Mike Resnick
19. The Far End of History - John C Wright

How you find these stories will depend on what you look for in space opera. My preference is not for classic space opera, but rather stories crafted in a wide universe, far in the future. Stories which are just set in this future, but whose protagonists are all to contemporary just do not work for me. Neither does technology that is used as stage props.

The stories I really liked were:-

The Island
Defect
To Raise a Mutiny Betwixt Yourselves
From the Heart
Chameleons
Cracklegrackle
The Far End of History

In particular, I really loved "The Far End of History", a story that strongly evoked a far future, glimpsed darkly, yet richly textured. I hope to read more of this future.

"Defect" was also one of my favorites, although this could have been included in any hard SF collection, not just a space opera themed one. "Cracklegrackle" was also very good, set in a very interesting solar system universe that I would like to read more about, with post humans and extensive body modifications.

Overall, not a bad read, but I think the mixed quality of the stories was just used to fluff out the collection so that it looked like good value on a pages/$ basis.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2010
I really enjoyed the 1st Space Opera collection and when this one came out I quickly bought it for my kindle. The standout stories for me are:
Utriusque Cosmi
The Lost Princess Man
Shell Game
The Tale of the Wicked

I didn't like Join the Navy and See Worlds and was at a loss as to why this story was included in a Space Opera collection aside from the fact that they use the term in the story.

Really looking forward to The New Space Opera 3!
on December 5, 2012
If you're a fan of space opera (as I am) you'll likely be both happy and dissatisfied with this book.

On the one hand there are some true gems in here that are *real* space opera--Mike Resnick's "Catastrophe Baker" is a fine example, as is Cory Doctorow's "To Go Boldly". Fast paced, tight narratives that have a different spin...good stuff.

On the other hand there are some stories that (for me) were either practically incomprehensible and/or just seemed out of place. I won't name them as your mileage may vary, but I found myself skipping to the end of more stories than I would have liked in a collection of this size.

An okay collection. Recommended if you're a true die-hard and/or don't mind separating the wheat from the chaff.
on January 23, 2014
I love this genre of science fiction and this book was great. I've picked up several other Gardner Dozois edited compilations since reading this book and they have all been equally good. If you like 'hardcore' sci-fi, then this is the ticket!
on June 5, 2014
Wonderful collection of entertaining SF short stories, nary a bad apple to the bunch, worth reading for any SF fan.
on June 18, 2015
Can't go wrong with Gardner Dozois! <3
on April 10, 2014
If you like Space Opera, you'll like this. Well worth the 4 dollars for the Kindle version, hours of mind-expanding stories.
on August 9, 2009
Several years ago in one of the "Year's Best" summations, Gardner Dozois concluded that the defining characteristic of good Science Fiction was being a "good read". This is a fun collection of short stories set in big universes with solid plots. If you want more cerebral material, ambiguous morality or less fantastical futures then you should consider "Year's Best Science Fiction 25" (or any of the prior 24) instead. If you want to enjoy reading some clever adventure stories in space, this is the book for you.
on August 9, 2009
I enjoyed reading all 19 stories in this collection. I confess that The New Space Opera first volume is still on the shelf by my bed, only a few stories sampled. The difference was having this one in my iPhone Kindle app, so I could read away at it during train rides or boring staff meetings. I'm grateful for the entertaining diversion.

My five favorite stories in this book made me rethink my approach to my job:

"The Lost Princess Man" by John Barnes demonstrates how to conduct a job interview with a con man in a high-tech dictatorship.

"Defect" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch shows how to resign from a job as an undercover assassin--and how to resign ourselves to the consequences.

"Chameleons" by Elizabeth Moon reminds us what it is like to babysit a pair of bratty kids.

"The Tale of the Wicked" by John Scalzi evokes those feelings we sometimes have that our office computers are really running things--and that their errors are intentional.

"The Far End of History" by John Wright emphasizes the dangers of becoming romantically involved with someone at work--especially when different versions of both of you play so many different roles that it's hard to keep them straight.

Two more stories weren't among my favorites, but get an honorable mention for succeeding as "space opera" while making fun of it. Cory Doctorow's "To Go Boldly" made me laugh harder about Star Trek than I have since reading Terry Bisson's Galaxy Quest. And Mike Resnick's "Catastrophe Baker and a Canticle for Leibowitz" pokes enjoyable fun at the handsome heroes and shapely sirens of truly bad space opera. Can't wait to see the comic book version.

It's a good collection. Read and enjoy.