Bubble Witch Saga 3 BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
This novel read very slowly for me. Despite my interest in the topic - an interracial, culturally different and religiously different couple - the book didn't draw me in.

Amina Benzid is from Bangladesh and her husband George Stillman is from Rochester, New York. They meet on the internet and Amina comes to the United States to marry George.

Somehow, the book was akin to looking at a still life painting; it didn't have much life to it. The characters were not fully realized nor were they characterized well.

I expected more from this book and was ultimately disappointed.
on May 7, 2017
The plot sounded so interesting but the characters and the writing dragged. I get that the author wanted to indicate the hopelessness of the situation for both George and his new wife and the long winter in Rochester. The author is skilled but the book was too depressing.
on November 10, 2013
I was absorbed by the story and whisked away to Bangladesh when Amina returned for her parents. Bittersweet in many ways and even found myself with a few tears. The red cardinals that come to my yard will always remind me of this story.

The author's descriptions and story telling had me present and living in Rochester and Bangladesh. The unwinding of the story in the end did not read as well as the other parts of the book. The ending itself was well done but left me troubled.

I recommend the book for anyone wanting a story to magically move them to another way of life and experience.
on December 2, 2016
good book, but not great. I would suggest reading The New York Times review of the book. the review is spot on. the characters are weak and a little unbelievable
on December 19, 2012
This was chosen by my book group. Scores by members: (1= poor to 10= brilliant)
7.5 highest
6 lowest.
did bring about a long and lively discussion. Features cultural differences and one woman's identity issues in moving from the culture of present day Bangladesh to USA. Very slow beginning. Not for a reader looking for a page turner, If you like slow, and thoughtful reading, you might love this.
on March 11, 2013
I wish I liked this book more. My complaints are much like other reviewers'--lack of depth in the characters, boring sections, and mainly, the lost opportunity to take advantage of a really good premise. I liked the idea of a Bangladeshi woman finding a husband in Rochester online and would have loved a more interesting treatment of it.
on May 27, 2012
I looked forward to reading this book too. I was really disappointed. As others have said, the title is off. This is not a book about newlyweds. The husband is invisible through 3/4 of the book. The book is about Amina, the wife, who married to come to America and her various experiences. I found much of her story very interesting, and her descriptions of Bangladesh compelling. However, her rambling through Bangladesh through the second half of the book got confusing. Relatives and friends galore, and I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. I also was confused a lot about which village she was in at any point and why. Along with that, I had a hard time following the story of her father, which was patchy with not much depth, a means to an end, I guess.

This book could have used a LOT of editing. Parts of the story moved too quickly while others dragged on and on and on. It seemed the author tried to do too much with the stories and instead of focusing on a few strands, just threw everything in.

To me, the strongest part of the book was the portrayal of Amina. I really felt I knew her by the end of the book. Her husband? Just a convenience to move the story to America. It was not about him at all, except for one rather off the wall side story that seemed created just to add some drama to an otherwise very dull marriage.
on February 14, 2014
Interesting look at what it's like to move from Bangladesh to America to marry someone you barely know. Unfortunately, the last quarter of the book was disappointing, with characters behaving in ways that didn't ring true.
on June 10, 2013
the author had a good idea and plot but so many times it should have been a more meaningful story. and each time I would imagine some mystery or intrigue I was disappointed. in today's world it is hard to imagine that the ending turned out the way it did- a bit too rosy for me.
on January 19, 2016
Decent book but I didn't care much for the characters. I think it was hard for me to like this book since all of the characters are so unlikable.