Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 29, 2014
Even though I'm not a child anymore I still can't help reading and enjoying books
like this one; it has many amazing and true facts about the history of New York
and also elements of Greek mythology. It tells the story of a boy who becomes
friends with a girl and all the adventures they go through in the Underworld of
New York City (sorry can't say more in case I spoil it for you....)

Don't miss the sequel The Twilight Prisoner!
2 people found this helpful
on December 13, 2016
11-year-old loved it. It was a suggestion for summer reading before 7th grade.
on August 30, 2015
Good story on CD that kept me and my son engaged (and awake) on a trip from Oregon to Colorado. Characters were believable especially Euri, who's background belies reality. The plot is tied together well from start to end.
on July 30, 2013
I am a sixth grade teacher. I discovered this book for my students. This book is excellent for discovering Greek Myths and New York City historical features. This is a great summer reading book for students
on November 6, 2012
Its almost impossible to put the book down!!! I loved it so much and I am ready to read the sequel!
on July 26, 2012
My daughter was in the middle of reading "The Night Tourist" by Katherine Marsh, when she discovered that pages 171 through 202 are missing. Instead there is a repeat of pages 59 through 90. Very disappointed as this book is a school assignment due the 2nd day of school. Also disappointing as my daughter was enjoying this book and now we have to buy another copy.
Caution... check out your book before the expiration date for returns.
on September 4, 2016
Fast delivery. Great book. Brand new.
on October 11, 2015
Granddaughter like it
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 1, 2016
Jack, a lonely, rather nerdy, fourteen year old boy living on the Yale college campus is more comfortable translating Latin than hanging out with any classmates from school. A sudden accident transports him to Grand Central Station where he embarks upon weird and imaginative adventures with a ghost-girl companion his own age. The novel offers readers delightful tours through Manhattan, past and present, as the ever-enchanting Euri leads Jack on flying trips where they briefly encounter famous folks en route and frequently find themselves in engrossing, fingernail-biting danger. We eventually learn why Euri remains in limbo as the pair search for Jack's mother who died under mysterious circumstances when he was six, something the boy's father has long refused to discuss.

The layers of mystery will keep most readers turning pages to Author Marsh's satisfying and poignant end. This is the enchanting story of Orpheus & Eurydice from Greek mythology imaginatively retold and modernized for middle school and adults both. The book also presents a thought-provoking opportunity to consider and reflect upon the meaning of life and death with young people.
One person found this helpful
on May 10, 2013
Please understand that all my reviews focus on the interests of my middle school students. I never do a full plot synopsis in a review.

I began my college career as a classics major and I loved it. I changed majors only because of the scarcity of jobs in the field. So I'm bringing a strong prejudice to this review.

The main character, Jack, is a fourteen year old who is reading an original Latin version of Ovid's Metamorphoses in the first sentence of the novel. At that point, I knew the book would have to be really, really bad for me not to finish it. For the record, Katherine Marsh (the author) knows her stuff (at least the Latin aspects) and is pretty much dead on accurate in her details. I just wish Jack had been studying one of the Greeks, too.

Giving as little as possible away, the book is about Jack's adventures in the underworld as he searches for his mom. There is a touching romance, dangerous guards who would kill Jack for real (it's against underworld code for a living person to be there), a mean version of Cerberus, interesting dead people (including an intriguing Dylan Thomas), a desperate search under an extreme timetable, and even some innocently fun times.

Despite these facts, the plot's pace is, at times, ploddingly slow, especially in the first half of the book. Most of the dealings with the dead are old school ghost traditions. I guess it takes a Neal Shusterman to breathe new life into the world of the dead (to compare any afterlife book to Gaiman's seems unfair). Though I hate to admit it, spending so much time on the various nuances of such Latin words as "occidit" probably is not as interesting to most folks as it is to me.

Character development is uneven, but generally solid. The Orphean mistake in the novel is a real "gotcha'."

The book is a solid read all along, but the ending is its greatest virtue. I found the final father/son scene to be very touching. Most solid middle school readers (and older people like me) will find the book worth reading.
4 people found this helpful