Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 148 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 218 reviews
on January 18, 2015
IMO, with the exception of Barry Eisler's John Rain, Lustbader's novels show Japan & the Martial Arts better then any other novels that have been written by Non-Japanese writers. IMO opinion the Nicholas Linnear series was Lustbader's best series. He blends the "real" with the "magic" as to Ninja Warriors better then any writer I have read. At the time his book, "The Ninja", came out, his way of blending the Past & the Present was fairly unique and much more flowing then I had seen before. If you enjoy action, Martial Arts, Japan, and Ninja, you'll love these books!
on October 25, 2015
I have truly enjoyed Van Lustbader over the years while he was still an author. These are extremely well researched and present a glimpse into Japanese history without the text book boredom. The stories are well written with great attention to detail and continuity. The characters seem real and are nicely developed. Some sex and violence. Overall great story telling.
on November 6, 2016
Interesting tale with many twists and turns. The basic story flows smoothly but there is a point where the storyline goes off course before returning to the pathway. Eastern ways meet western, some mythology mixed with history to keep the story moving along. The story has several more books continuing the storyline. I look forward to reading more of the books in the series. I really enjoyed the story and would recommend the series.
on September 13, 2016
Eric Van Lustbader is one of my favorite authors. These 3 books, along with the Kaisho, Floating City and Second Skin now complete the set of the Linnear series. His writing stimulates the imagination. The series has everything I like.... Martial arts, historical references, espionage, action, thiller, etc.
on January 23, 2017
The first book (The Ninja) is great, a very detailed romp through historic Japanese culture and modern-day-ish business dealings. It was exciting and I felt like I learned something...worthy of 5 stars by itself. To me, the subsequent two books are just ok and pull down the worth of the series. They had some potential with interesting character perspectives and some plot twists. But both can drag on-and-on with flash-backs and back-story, while both have endings that are abrupt and rather unfulfilling.
on December 15, 2016
An immersive good. Characters are well fleshed out. Also highlights Japanese way of life with honor and familial responsibility. These are the first three books for an author who has gone on to keep Jason Bourne alive after the untimely death of Robert Ludlum. Read this and know why
on September 8, 2017
This is my first Eric Van Lustbader. He is a skilled writer and has a huge following so I was expecting a lot more from the book. The story started well. The sections on Japanese history and culture were facinating but I don't know how accurate they are (no criticism. I just don't know much about Japanese history). What was dissapointing was how quickly the story became very predictable. The were no real surprises. The characters are very one dimensional. By the end I really didn't care who lived or died.
on February 21, 2013
I was talking to a friend recently who lives on Long Island. She mentioned Dune Road & I recalled the first murder in the book takes place outside a house on Dune Road.
Eric Lustbader writes a masterful first chapter of the kind I rarely see any more except from top selling fiction writers.
The opening chapter is heavy with imagery & atmosphere ....
and the entire book should be read with Musashi's Book of Five Rings close at hand.
As a Kindle owner: I really wish this book had been in ebook format. I have no idea why it is not.
And I wish I'd searched harder for a used HARDBACK edition as since the book is quite long... in paperback, being spoiled by an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite... where I can adjust font size, line/margins and screen definition....
Attempting to read this in paperback... reminds me how challenging that can be.
Still... the book itself... anyone interested in Martial Arts... will find this one of the best martial arts mystery thrillers ever written.
If I were Eric Van Lustbader, I'd be rioting to re-introduce it to America via the ebook revolution.
Don't even remember where I was living when I read it originally... just that for a time I was transfixed by a new and exotic and amazing world of action, philosophy, culture, language... via Van Lustbader's writing in this book.
I highly recommend it! Upon Re-READING... I have found that it holds up beautifully to my memory of it...
and that has not always been the case!
on June 29, 2014
I've read all of the Nicholas Linnear novels, and am on my second readings now. Van Lustbader is an excellent writer and his depictions of post-war Japan are fascinating and insightful. This was a Kindle version and there were some typos, but I've learned those are very common with e-books, at least the ones I've been reading. I just try to overlook them and not get too irritated. At least this book had only a few. Otherwise, a fabulous book by a very gifted writer. Well worth your time.
on March 18, 2016
The Ninja combines the mystique of Japan with the modern day murder. This is also the introduction of Nicholas Linnear a product of both of these worlds. Nicholas has tried to avoid his past and wants to just find a new life. That all changes when Nicholas is faced with a mysterious murder and his friends call him to consult on a theory. Then soon after his friends start to turn up dead. This leads him to a confrontation with his past.

This is a fast paced novel and it is really enjoyable.