Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 64 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on December 29, 2014
The least remarkable part of Dr. Mercola's is the dietary guidelines, which are similar in many ways to other low-carb diets. What earns this book 5 stars is the program it provides to overcome the cravings that haunt low sugar/carb dieters. The program is a combination of nurturing and a technique known as "Emotional Freedom Technique"

THE PROGRAM: NURTURING YOURSELF
*******************************************************
The book sets out a program that is fairly simple, but like any major life change, requires commitment, planning, and resources (both time and money).

Much of the books program is based on nurturing, with chapters on improving sleep, eating frequent small meals, and moderate exercise. The first 3 days you need to eat every 3 hours, so you need to plan meals, shop, cook, and have containers for portable meals.

OVERCOMING CRAVINGS WITH "EFT"
***************************************************
The book recommends overcoming cravings using "Emotional Freedom Technique". EFT is described as a do-it-yourself method of reinforcing positive thoughts and resolving emotional issues that employs tapping on acupuncture points while saying out loud a set of statements about craving food. It takes about 10 minutes a day.

THE DIET
*************
In addition to eliminating sugar and carbs (including fruit, legumes, starchy vegetables, etc.), you will be encouraged to eat organic: vegetables, grass-fed beef, free-range poultry, wild pacific salmon, etc. These foods are expensive and not readily available. Still, I find that I am saving money on this diet because I am not spending money on processed foods.

SUMMARY
**************
This book goes beyond dietary recommendations to provide an all-encompassing program that makes overcoming carbohydrate addiction an attainable goal. It requires a tremendous amount of commitment, planning, time and money, but it does offer a path to liberation from food cravings.
on January 31, 2016
Lots of info, some really great, some possibly impractical. You take what you can use and leave the rest. We've had the book for about a month and have dropped both grains and pounds.
on August 20, 2014
Very informative book on foods - related to our modern destructive way of eating......choosing the right foods at the right time in the right combination is key to weight loss: also shows interesting techniques to overcome the "hunger pangs" and "food cravings" from our previous ways of eating.... Recommend to all looking for a healthy easy solution to "EATING"!
on September 5, 2016
I have been reading many many books regarding weight. This is one of the most compkete and up to date. The ideas are well landed, meaning you can do it!
on August 14, 2015
Great
on November 13, 2016
Great book from a doctor that I have bought products from in the past. Giving up carbs is very hard so really couldn't follow this diet but for someone that has more will power this is a good book with advice.
on August 25, 2015
Loved the book! Am starting the plan because I'm insulin resistant!
on February 11, 2016
This makes a lot of sense, but my body craves grains so I am doing the next best thing by eating more fruits and veggies!
on October 24, 2010
I was quite hopeful that this diet would help my type 2 diabetes. I am a fan of Dr. Mercola's web site and have had much success with EFT so trying the No Grains diet seemed worthwhile. Unfortunately, it didn't work as advertised. Even though I've lost most of my excess weight, feel more energetic, and my "age spots" are almost entirely gone (!) my blood sugar is still 250 to 300, 3 months on. This is dangerously high but since I'm allergic to both insulin and metformin there is nothing (that I know of) to do about it.

Recently, I've started adding back a few grains to my diet and find that it makes little difference assometimes my blood sugar goes up a little and sometimes it goes down!

I don't seem to have much choice except to continue on the diet as best I can and hope for the best.

Update: after months on the diet, I started to really crave carbs and also found that, long term, the guidelines simply allow too few calories. The protein is limited (55 grams a day, in my case) so you can't fill up on that. Low carb veggies have very few calories. Fruit and dairy (unless raw) is forbidden. I was buyng raw goats milk (which is illegal here, as in most places) but when that resource ended I quickly found there was nothing on the diet to substitute for those lost calories. I would have looked for another source but stopping the goats milk also cleared up my stuffy nose and headaches. Yet allergies and food senstivities are supposed to be rare with raw milk, according to Dr. Mercola.

So what's left to eat except a bit of meat and some skinny veggies? Nothing, in fact. Fat is okay on the diet but there is only so much coconut oil a person can eat (remember that butter, cheese, etc. made from pasteurized milk are forbidden, as are most other oils). Imo, Mercola is dreaming if he thinks this is a viable diet for the vaste majority of people.

Another problem I had was that he never did answer any of the questions I posted on his web site. In fact, my posts were deleted when they stopped following the party line and started to press for answers.

I still use the mercola.com website as a resource but now take most of what is said with the proverbial grain of salt.
1212 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
So much of what he says really works. I have had to go back and re-read parts because it is something I have never heard before. I and 2 of my kids are wheat (gluten) sensitive. We eat a whole bunch of brown rice because of that. Well I eat real healthful and still am 50 pounds over weight and I have problems with allergies and sinus issues. I have started the diet and am losing weight and my sinuses and allergies are getting better. I would highly recommend this book.